BKD timing belt tensioner stud

Shadowsfall
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

BKD timing belt tensioner stud

Post by Shadowsfall »

After reading all the horror stories about this stud and the stupid thread it uses in the head, I thought about getting an 8×1.25 thread insert in the head use a normal stud, has anyone done it? I don't trust the new stud I got in the cambelt kit, also, some of the thread came out with the old one, the new one doesn't even want to torque to its 20nm, is the m10 upgraded stud a fail proof one or should I just fit a normal stud that can be normally tightened?
Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

Re: BKD timing belt tensioner stud

Post by Dub rox »

Shadowsfall wrote:After reading all the horror stories about this stud and the stupid thread it uses in the head, I thought about getting an 8×1.25 thread insert in the head use a normal stud, has anyone done it? I don't trust the new stud I got in the cambelt kit, also, some of the thread came out with the old one, the new one doesn't even want to torque to its 20nm, is the m10 upgraded stud a fail proof one or should I just fit a normal stud that can be normally tightened?
Sounds alot like it is striped in the head mate. Might have to tap it bigger and fit a reduction stud in there. Just make shure nothing will get damaged in the process.

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 6 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Re: BKD timing belt tensioner stud

Post by Rudi46 »

Shadowsfall wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:03 pm After reading all the horror stories about this stud and the stupid thread it uses in the head, I thought about getting an 8×1.25 thread insert in the head use a normal stud, has anyone done it? I don't trust the new stud I got in the cambelt kit, also, some of the thread came out with the old one, the new one doesn't even want to torque to its 20nm, is the m10 upgraded stud a fail proof one or should I just fit a normal stud that can be normally tightened?
Fixed mine a week ago. fitted a 8/12mm insert and used a high tenstile stud. Now its supper strong and no issues.
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400