Dub rox
Cadet
Registered for: 5 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi sport 1.4i

old school mk1 tdi

Post by Dub rox »

Ok so decided to go smoker on my citiπŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨πŸ’¨

Anyone know how much these motors go for and how easy a conversion would be. I'm talking about the 8v pump motors. Looking to fit it in my citi but also modify some once i baught it. Advice?????
Also what does injectors and pumps cost on these guys?

Or maybe the early jetta4 1.9 tdi with the pump, biggest, cheapest, bang for buck 🐐

Thanx
OCD is not a disability is the ability to get it perfect
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Re: old school mk1 tdi

Post by Jetta2 »

Converting a petrol model into a diesel model will be anything but cheap or easy.

Motor alone, you are looking at way past 10K.
Then you will need a gearbox to go with the motor, another 10K easily. And no, a petrol model 'box will not work unless you plan on doing 60kmh in top gear with the motor at the limiter. Gear ratios on diesel models are waaaaay longer for a reason.
Then add on wiring, ECU, clocks, etc.

It has been done plenty times, but it is a major job to do it right.

Unless you have a complete TDI model to swop parts over, it is going to cost plenty, so there goes your "cheapest" part of the idea.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Golf/jetta 4 1.9 are AHF engines if I'm not mistaken..

And if I remember correctly they also have subframes like the polos and pd engines, if so u gonna have a hard time fabricating mountings.

Besides getting the engine and gbox mounted, the gear linkages will have to changed as the golf 4 has a cable shift box.
Cvs and drive shafts will need to be matched, probably gonna have to change out the hubs as well.

If this pump has the immobilizer like the Caravelles (built into the pump) then that's gonna be a nightmare too.

Getting the engine to talk to the cluster will be another issue.

There are a few people who have done this swap on the tdi forums.

I honestly think it's gonna be a pain in the a$$ and cost quite abit but hey it would be fun to drive a tdi golf 1 lol..

20vT might be cheaper to do

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

The engine i am talking about was found in the older mk1 diesels so think with a gearbox should be take out and refit. Not sure if it is a import motor though. 1.5 or something in that line. No ecu's just cluster comunication. Plain straight forward, just fit intercooler and pipes and bobs your uncle, fanni's your aunt and fat larry's your sister....
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Got the motors a few years back for about R3.5k not shure what they go for nowadays...
Jetta2
Field Marshal
Registered for: 17 years 3 months
Car Make: VW, VW, Aprilia
Car Model: Mk3 Golf VR6, Mk4 Caddy, RSV4
Membership No: 1087

Post by Jetta2 »

Those old Mk1 diesels were naturally aspirated, not turbo versions.
Kak underpowered.
Kak loud.
Kak slow.
Ryan Demoser

1996 Mk3 Golf VR6
2017 Caddy Maxi Crew Bus 2.0 TDI
2013 Aprilia RSV4 track toy
2021 Aprilia RS660 road bike
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Actually saw turbo versions of that motors. Loud yes but you can run it on old cooking oil if you likeπŸ˜‰
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

They were not in local cars but are/ were available form the import shops. Not sure if you will still find. There are a few syncro combis running around with them in. It was the golf3 tdi engine which we never got. Mechanical pump turbo diesel.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

panic-mechanic wrote:They were not in local cars but are/ were available form the import shops. Not sure if you will still find. There are a few syncro combis running around with them in. It was the golf3 tdi engine which we never got. Mechanical pump turbo diesel.
Thats the one yes Image

Sent from my VFD320 using Tapatalk

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

1Z - 90 hp
AFN-110 hp
AHU - 90 hp
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Torque figures?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Google is your friend
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Unless it ends up like this, which will take even more work as you don't have a MkI, I wouldn't bother...

https://hatchtopia.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -mki-golf/

Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Neuk wrote:Unless it ends up like this, which will take even more work as you don't have a MkI, I wouldn't bother...

https://hatchtopia.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... -mki-golf/

Look great though Image

AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 7 months
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Post by AlexTDi »

Saw an old school caddy a few months back in the westrand running a 1.9tdi, that is epic!
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

AlexTDi wrote:Saw an old school caddy a few months back in the westrand running a 1.9tdi, that is epic!
Yup. And one could even stroke the motor like any other.... Or just increase displacement.

ALRoN73
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by ALRoN73 »

Jetta2 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 pm Those old Mk1 diesels were naturally aspirated, not turbo versions.
Kak underpowered.
Kak loud.
Kak slow.
Like the PD motors?
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

ALRoN73 wrote:
Jetta2 wrote: ↑Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:09 pm Those old Mk1 diesels were naturally aspirated, not turbo versions.
Kak underpowered.
Kak loud.
Kak slow.
Like the PD motors?
Yes

Beurvoort
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by Beurvoort »

I did the above conversion during 2003. Think I paid R4000 for the import motor, and it was a non turbo. The body was a 1.3 1987 citi golf. It was actually a very easy conversion. Did not do any welding or modifications to the body, except to move the top part of the firewall back a cm or two ( 4 pound hammer), and also modifying the exhaust slightly. This is because the airbox on the NA motor is bigger than the standard petrol one (you do not need to do this on the 1.6 turbo unit as it uses a different airbox arrangement). I replaced all the engine mountings with new, and had to cut a shallow V into the mounting on the timing cover side to make it fit the diesel engine. Also modified the petrol accelerator cable to fit the diesel pump. Used the blue ignition wire going to the distributor for the diesel cut off switch on the pump.

I fitted a normal electrical facet fuel pump in the engine bay and a Isuszu 250D diesel filter unit next to the radiator. O yes, speaking of that, I also replaced the radiator with a second hand 1,8 citi sport unit. The first few years I kept the standard 4 speed transmission box, and fitted 175/80/14 tires, in order to get the revs down a bit and also handle potholes better. About 5 years ago I sourced a Jetta 2 16V 5 speed box and swapped it with the 4 speed. This resulted in a considerable improvement on fuel consumption.

Since doing the conversion the golfie has done over 200 000km with the diesel engine fitted, and I have no idea how many km`s was on the engine when imported. I suspect it must be close to 300 000 km by now, if not more. It still does not use a drop of oil between services (Engen diesellube 700 15W40) During the first few years it was used as the wife`s runabout. Later it became the eldest sons university car and after graduation became his car. He saved up over the years and just recently bought his first new car cash (New generation Polo Vivo Maxx). During the last two weeks I replaced shocks, cv joints, rear wheel bearings, brake pads, major service including timing belt and tension pulley as well as radiator flush. It still gets 19km per liter easily at a steady 110km/h (true speed). Next year it will become the varsity car for my two youngest going to Potch university.

The entire conversion cost me about R6000 at the time and it was probably the best 6 grand I ever spent. I get all the service parts form Goldwagen and Midas including the timing belt and tension pulley which is a wider unit than that used on the petrol motors. If you ask me if I would do the conversion again, my answer would be yes in a heartbeat. My advice, go for it.
Current: 2013 Amarok 4 motion BITDI Manual, 2014 Polo vivo. 87 citi Golf converted to NA 1,6 diesel
ex: 2012 Amarok
ex: 2005 Caddy combi TDI (still missing this one)
ex: 1997 Caddy 1.6 bakkie
ex: 1994 citi 1,6 Shuttle
ex: 1991 Jetta 2 CLi
ex: 1988 VW 1,8 Sport bakkie
ex: 1984 Jetta 1 GLX
ex: 1973 1,6 Beetle (twinport) (Also miss this one)
EX-DOHCTOR
Field Marshal
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: 2014 Jetta 6 TDi DSG.
Membership No: 712

Post by EX-DOHCTOR »

Do you have any photo's to share of the process and end result?
2014 - VW Jetta 6 - 1.6 TDi DSG
2000 - VW Golf 3.5 Cabrio - 2.0
1980 - VW MK1 GT - 1.8 Carb - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=153861
1971 - Mitsubishi Colt 1100F - https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=220503
MK1 Build Register: https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 1&t=192835
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/projectkirschwasser/

Racing is meant for the RACE track - deal with it...
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

EX-DOHCTOR wrote: ↑Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:17 am Do you have any photo's to share of the process and end result?
Yeah, I would like to see as well...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Beurvoort wrote:I did the above conversion during 2003. Think I paid R4000 for the import motor, and it was a non turbo. The body was a 1.3 1987 citi golf. It was actually a very easy conversion. Did not do any welding or modifications to the body, except to move the top part of the firewall back a cm or two ( 4 pound hammer), and also modifying the exhaust slightly. This is because the airbox on the NA motor is bigger than the standard petrol one (you do not need to do this on the 1.6 turbo unit as it uses a different airbox arrangement). I replaced all the engine mountings with new, and had to cut a shallow V into the mounting on the timing cover side to make it fit the diesel engine. Also modified the petrol accelerator cable to fit the diesel pump. Used the blue ignition wire going to the distributor for the diesel cut off switch on the pump.

I fitted a normal electrical facet fuel pump in the engine bay and a Isuszu 250D diesel filter unit next to the radiator. O yes, speaking of that, I also replaced the radiator with a second hand 1,8 citi sport unit. The first few years I kept the standard 4 speed transmission box, and fitted 175/80/14 tires, in order to get the revs down a bit and also handle potholes better. About 5 years ago I sourced a Jetta 2 16V 5 speed box and swapped it with the 4 speed. This resulted in a considerable improvement on fuel consumption.

Since doing the conversion the golfie has done over 200 000km with the diesel engine fitted, and I have no idea how many km`s was on the engine when imported. I suspect it must be close to 300 000 km by now, if not more. It still does not use a drop of oil between services (Engen diesellube 700 15W40) During the first few years it was used as the wife`s runabout. Later it became the eldest sons university car and after graduation became his car. He saved up over the years and just recently bought his first new car cash (New generation Polo Vivo Maxx). During the last two weeks I replaced shocks, cv joints, rear wheel bearings, brake pads, major service including timing belt and tension pulley as well as radiator flush. It still gets 19km per liter easily at a steady 110km/h (true speed). Next year it will become the varsity car for my two youngest going to Potch university.

The entire conversion cost me about R6000 at the time and it was probably the best 6 grand I ever spent. I get all the service parts form Goldwagen and Midas including the timing belt and tension pulley which is a wider unit than that used on the petrol motors. If you ask me if I would do the conversion again, my answer would be yes in a heartbeat. My advice, go for it.
Thanx for the info. @Beurvoort

Beurvoort
Enlisted

Post by Beurvoort »

I will take some pics and then try and load them up here. Nothing spectacular or concourse, but functional.

Groetnis
Current: 2013 Amarok 4 motion BITDI Manual, 2014 Polo vivo. 87 citi Golf converted to NA 1,6 diesel
Dub rox
Cadet

Post by Dub rox »

Beurvoort wrote:I did the above conversion during 2003. Think I paid R4000 for the import motor, and it was a non turbo. The body was a 1.3 1987 citi golf. It was actually a very easy conversion. Did not do any welding or modifications to the body, except to move the top part of the firewall back a cm or two ( 4 pound hammer), and also modifying the exhaust slightly. This is because the airbox on the NA motor is bigger than the standard petrol one (you do not need to do this on the 1.6 turbo unit as it uses a different airbox arrangement). I replaced all the engine mountings with new, and had to cut a shallow V into the mounting on the timing cover side to make it fit the diesel engine. Also modified the petrol accelerator cable to fit the diesel pump. Used the blue ignition wire going to the distributor for the diesel cut off switch on the pump.

Did you manage to get some pics yet @ Beurvoort.

Just out of interest sake......

Beurvoort
Enlisted

Post by Beurvoort »

Managed to take a few yes. How do I get them on here?