Remove Head or Motor for Rocker replacement

Arlow
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: B7 2.0TDI

Remove Head or Motor for Rocker replacement

Post by Arlow »

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum as a member, but have always found the information on here very helpful as a guest user, however not having owned a VAG car yet I had not needed to register an account. But here I am now, and my German lizard has taken it's first shot at my wallet :P

So the car in question is a 2005 Audi 2.0TDI with the BLB engine, so I hope you guys can still assist me with this question even tho it not being a VW, but using a VW engine.

Recently I broke 4 of my exhaust rockers on the car, the 50mm one's. Now that I want to replace them I am facing two approaches. I can remove the head, and then slide the shaft the rockers slide over out the head etc. Or remove the whole motor from the engine bay and also slide the shaft out the side.

My reason is that the engine has never been opened before, and the car only has 162k on the clock. A friend suggested I keep the engine sealed as per OEM spec, but removing the whole motor seems a bit over kill.

So I'm looking for some other opinions please. All is welcome and much appreciated!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Remove Head or Motor for Rocker replacement

Post by Ashveer03 »

This is a pd engine, there are no rockers for valves.

There are 4 Rocker arms for the Injectors.

Post a Pic of what u found broken

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Arlow
Enlisted

Post by Arlow »

I must have named them wrongly.
The 2.0TDI is a 16v motor, so instead of solid lifters like the 1.9TDI VW used these weak things:
Here you can see the broken one without the roller at the bottom.

These slide over a shaft that slides into the head from the side, now being an A4 the engine is mounted longitudinal and said shaft will slide out the back and hit the firewall, which brings me to my dilemma in the first post
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Post by Rudi46 »

Arlow wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:52 am I must have named them wrongly.
The 2.0TDI is a 16v motor, so instead of solid lifters like the 1.9TDI VW used these weak things:
Here you can see the broken one without the roller at the bottom.

These slide over a shaft that slides into the head from the side, now being an A4 the engine is mounted longitudinal and said shaft will slide out the back and hit the firewall, which brings me to my dilemma in the first post
I would rather remove the Head, did you find the reason for the damage? Sure the valves did not make contact with the pistons.
Those are very long shaft and I dont think it will be easy or possible to remove them while head is in the car.
A bit crazy to remove the complete motor for this.
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
Arlow
Enlisted

Post by Arlow »

The reason why they broke is a bit embarrassing :oops: I was moving the cam pulleys to fine tune the timing a bit, and I wanted everything on TDC before I plug in the laptop with VCDS. I forgot to take out the locking tool on the intake cam and proceeded to swing the engine.....

This resulted in the timing having jumped and now I have 4 broken rockers/lifters. I have written the damage off as school fees.
The valves I hope have not bent as the car was not being driven, but just cranked. I do also believe removing the head is a better route to take, both in terms of labor involved and to check the valves. I just wanted a second opinion on the matter
WeirdSteam
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 7 months
Car Model: A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI

Post by WeirdSteam »

That starter swing is enough to bend the valve on contact

Better to take the head off as suggested and inspect for any damage to valves etc.

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

+1

@op that's some hectic school fees lol

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Arlow
Enlisted

Post by Arlow »

Thanks everyone for your input! I will be removing the head rather than the motor. I will keep you guys posted as time progresses.

@Ashveer I would have loved the locking tool to have just broken rather 😂
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Post by Rudi46 »

Arlow wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:52 pm Thanks everyone for your input! I will be removing the head rather than the motor. I will keep you guys posted as time progresses.

@Ashveer I would have loved the locking tool to have just broken rather 😂
Have you bought the new arms? I heard they are lekker expensive?
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Try alert engine parts, they keep Rocker arms and stuff.. Quality not bad either

Arlow
Enlisted

Post by Arlow »

Time for an update! :hi:

The process has been delayed due to time constraints unfortunately, but I'm happy to report that my car is alive again!
This is the first time I have worked on a diesel, not that much different to a modern petrol engine really. There is not much to report on really, besides that the motor is alive and healthy again. I am also very thankful that no valves were bent, keeping repair costs to a minimum.

So moving forward from here, my plan is to do a remap sometime in the future and some other small mods, nothing hectic as this is my daily car and would like to keep it fairly stock and comfortable to drive.

Here are some pictures of the process :grin:

All the old broken rockers

New rockers fitted! Cleaned all the metal shavings and deposits before installing the head on the car

I had a friend make me EGR delete plates as well, seeing that I was in there for the rocker replacements

The first time the car has started in two months! This was a very satisfying moment for me

After coming back from the test drive. I have yet to assemble the car further :eek: