1.9TDI BXE Turbo Spitting oil

MxolisiG
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

1.9TDI BXE Turbo Spitting oil

Post by MxolisiG »

Hi all,
I have a 2007 Jetta MK5 and I fell into a limp mode last year. I had the turbo replaced with the new unit ( I believe) but I noticed steady oil leak from it. I replaced the gasket on the oil return tube.A year after (Feb 2018) the turbo started spitting oil out of the turbine side. took the turbo for reconditioning, reinstalled, no difference. Thought it was the piston rings, even though i realized after taking the engine apart that they weren't the Problem I still replaced them. The problem is still there and its seems like its pushing too much oil through the boost pipes too. The car runs though boost is a bit weak and since the oil issue i have't been using it. WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE FOR THIS?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: 1.9TDI BXE Turbo Spitting oil

Post by Ashveer03 »

Turbos will pass some oil through the boost pipes whether they brand new or not. After a few thousand km, u will find quite abit of oil in the boost pipes.

How much oil is it passing? Is the car smoking?

U could also have oil going into the turbo from the breather, into the turbo inlet pipe - to the turbo.

Who reconditioned ur turbo? Some turbo shops (not mentioning any names) are useless.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Check the turbo return to the sump for blockage or just replace it to be sure.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MxolisiG
Enlisted

Post by MxolisiG »

Nope it does not smoke. and when i checked the turbo it ddn't seem to be passing much oil to the exhaust but it pushes it through the cutridge flange on the turbine side and i think can empty the sump within a few hours of driving.
I have checked the oil return tube, its not damaged or blocked. There is a positive crankcase pressure though but it doesn't seem much (although I dnt know how much it safe).
And yeah Ashveer03, took the turbo to some shop in Pretoria west, they did it for R1500 and they painted my manifold in black,, pssss!
Someone recommended that i have the whole cartridge replaced this time instead of replacing the insides. i just wanna be sure the problem is the turbo.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

U mean its pushing out oil on the compressor side - then going into the boost pipes, as the turbine side leads to the exhaust - oil in here will cause smoke.

1500 for a turbo recon? Probably just for cleaning.

Send the turbo to Gaby at Fastec they situated in Germiston. He knows what hes doing.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

If the return is free then the turbo is stuffed.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
MxolisiG
Enlisted

Post by MxolisiG »

The oil is spitted out of the turbo from the turbine side. i suspect that its also pushing oil on thi compressor side looking at the amount of oil present in the booster pipes. what puzzles me is that the car doesn't smoke at all.
Thanks you, Ashveer03, i'll contact Fastec right away.