2004 Polo 1.4tdi long cranking and cutting out

Kassieford
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 6 months

2004 Polo 1.4tdi long cranking and cutting out

Post by Kassieford »

Hi all, I'm Kassie from Potchefstroom and new to the group. I had a few vw before and now I've got only the polo left, after almost 8 years of owning her, she starts to cut out while driving. I've googled and replacedthe following over the last 2 months... Battery, Fuel pump, glow plugs, fuses above battery, water temp switch, crank sensor, relay 109 and service including diesel filter. I'm busy stripping the ignition switch out and will replace in the week and then I'm out of ideas... When it started giving trouble I took her to Vw and they couldn't find anything on the computer. I borrowed a hend held unit last week and it showed crank fault, so I replaced the sensor and cleared the fault... After a long struggle of cranking she started only to idle for about 2 Minutes before switching off again. Any ideas of what else I can check for. I'm traveling daily 200km round-trip to work and back and need her to take me to work. She is on 195000km now. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: 2004 Polo 1.4tdi long cranking and cutting out

Post by Ashveer03 »

Probably a fuel problem..

U replaced the intank fuel pump?

Theres also the tandem pump on the cylinder head, test that aswell. There are some testing methods on the tdiforums

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 2004 Polo 1.4tdi long cranking and cutting out

Post by panic-mechanic »

Also make sure of the following
A) you have the crank timing right
B) cam tining right.
If there is a correlation error between them it will start and die just like you are describing.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.