New polo tdi owner

Riefyd
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

New polo tdi owner

Post by Riefyd »

Hi guys

Looking for some info as this is my 1st time owning a diesel. I bought a 2004 2door polo 1.9tdi with 190000km on the clock.

I would like to know the following.
1.What are the service intervals on these cars?
2.which oil do I use?
3.is there any other maintenance that needs to be done on these cars at this age?
4. Do I need to remove the cat? Is there any benefit to it?
5. Wheel bearings on these cars what do they cost as I need to get them done.
6. Ecu remap who is the best in Cape Town? And what type of figures can I expect? Is it worth doing the remap?

Thanks in advance guys!
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: New polo tdi owner

Post by Ashveer03 »

1.What are the service intervals on these cars? Do it at 10k kms

2.which oil do I use?
505.01, i prefer liqui moly toptec 4100. Others use shell hx7 av. Choose 1 and stick with it.

3.is there any other maintenance that needs to be done on these cars at this age?
Check when the cambelt was done.. dont fix what's not broken rather fix when problems show themself. U can look for and repair any boost leaks though..
Common stuff, control arm bushes are weak, camshafts get eaten..

4. Do I need to remove the cat? Is there any benefit to it?
U dont have to but its not a bad idea. If the cat is kinda blocked then u will see a slight performance gain and more exhaust noises.

5. Wheel bearings on these cars what do they cost as I need to get them done.
Cant remember but around 300-400 each.

6. Ecu remap who is the best in Cape Town?
SR Tuned

And what type of figures can I expect? Well that depends

Is it worth doing the remap? Yeah, SR files really give good consumption when cruising and nice power when u floor it.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

I would like to know the following.
1.What are the service intervals on these cars? 7500km oil service, 15000km full service
2.which oil do I use? LM Toptec 4100, Motul X-clean 8100, Something 505.01 spec
3.is there any other maintenance that needs to be done on these cars at this age? As above what Ashveer said + check lifters and cam.
4. Do I need to remove the cat? Is there any benefit to it? Yes
5. Wheel bearings on these cars what do they cost as I need to get them done. As above
6. Ecu remap who is the best in Cape Town? And what type of figures can I expect? Is it worth doing the remap? First get your car 100% then look at software. Software wise will always be a debate so do your research and find someone you trust. RK motion... ;)
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

Some people prefer to get OEM wheel bearings and they are expensive. Getting cheap ones could give ABS/ESP issues.

Are you sure the bearings are bad? My car is on 360000km with the original wheel bearings, I replaced one but the noise was caused by the tyres. What tyres are fitted to your car?
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Yeah bearings dont go very often on a polo..

Goldwagen bearings work without issues, i think they are WAG bearings, fitted a good few no problems at all..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

VGTI wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:21 am Some people prefer to get OEM wheel bearings and they are expensive. Getting cheap ones could give ABS/ESP issues.

Are you sure the bearings are bad? My car is on 360000km with the original wheel bearings, I replaced one but the noise was caused by the tyres. What tyres are fitted to your car?
OFF Topic
Good to see this car is aging well and still going strong.
Thumbs up VGTI for taking care of it.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Riefyd
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 7 months

Post by Riefyd »

VGTI wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:21 am Some people prefer to get OEM wheel bearings and they are expensive. Getting cheap ones could give ABS/ESP issues.

Hey I am assuming.everyone that drove in the car this far said it’s the bearings. I will go to a suspension shop and do some further investigation

Thanks guys so I don’t drive much I probably do about 600 to 800km a month. Belt was changed 3months ago.