MK4 TDI Temp Gauge

Papa TDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

MK4 TDI Temp Gauge

Post by Papa TDI »

Hi All

Kindly assist here not sure if i should be worried or not,i have realised since Sunday night driving from Witbank that the temp gauge on my Jetta MK4 TDI goes up after 90 degrees well not too much though still wihin the blue dots i checked the water level its fine no leaks fans are running as normal just the temp going over 90 degrees she's got 380k on the clock, however since i've owned it it has never done that even under extreme hot conditions.I've recently repalced the alternator pulley after it seized and the tensioner damper so no clued up if that can have an effect on the temp.

Regards
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: MK4 TDI Temp Gauge

Post by panic-mechanic »

Does the fans run, does the bottom radiator hose get warm. Check those items and report back. Could be a dead fan or could be a failing thermostat
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Papa TDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 9 months

Re: MK4 TDI Temp Gauge

Post by Papa TDI »

Hi Panic

Thanx very much for spot on advise,i had the thermostat replaced over the weekend with a new one from Benoni City VW as Goldwagen Benoni did'nt have stock and were not sure whe they were going to have,so my temperature is back to normal again @ 90 degrees so upon inspection turns the radiator fans only one is operational which is the smaller one if you knw the MK4 has two so (the big one on the right hand side) so will be looking into it over the weekend.