Jetta20ec
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Misfiring Jetta

Post by Jetta20ec »

Good day Chairman and all gents.
I'm glad I've found the club.
Here's my problems:
On Friday I took my 2000 Jetta 4 2.0l for minor service as I had a long journey from EC to KZN. It was fine all along. I'm called to fetch it late by 15:30. drove home about 1.5km and could feel some jecking. I took it back to the garage to check it. the guy saw the first plus lead (driver's side ) was not in properly and pushed it in. when he start it the vehicle started misfiring. they say they washed the engen and started blowing with air (leads, plugs & coil) but still doing the same. they started checking the sparking of leads and coil changing them and checking new plugs, but still the same.
I was asked to drive it maybe it'll be fine and bring it nextweek so they can change the coil if it's not ok.
I drove it from EC with it, it's more on slow drive, & looses power on uphill. On normal road it moves.
In Kokstad I decided to buy a coil and fit it in, but it was still the same. I drove it till Mtubatuba where im now. I'm not sure if I must change the leads tomorrow or drive it as it is to EC on Thursday to the garage, I must say it's heavy on fuel. advice pls.
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: Misfiring Jetta

Post by Ashveer03 »

Changing parts will get u no where without proper diagnosis.
Plug leads can be checked with a multimeter, u checking for resistance - all wires should have around the same resistance (also depends on length of the wire), if theres no continuity in any plug wire, it belongs in the bin. Any cuts or burns on the wires is also not good. I suggest u remove the wires 1 by 1 and check if the clip on part that fits onto the plug is not broken (if it is, that part will remain on the plug when the wire is pulled out), if u have access to a multimeter would make life easier.

Im not familiar with this engine, i dont know whether it has a coilpack or a distributor. If it has a distributor check for any water inside the cap - will eventually turn into corrosion and cause a misfire.

I dont quite understand ur post, u said "they started checking the sparking of leads and coil changing them and checking new plugs, but still the same."
What has been changed?

Its not a good idea to travel with a misfiring engine, let alone from kzn to ec..

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: