DJ_TorqueTDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months
Car Make: Jetta 6
Car Model: 1.4 Tsi 90kw

2.0 TDI White Clouds & Water loss

Post by DJ_TorqueTDI »

Hi guys,

I have a 2007 Golf V 2.0 TDI Sportline which has started bellowing white smoke from the rear, it started off by doing it intermittently but its now smoking continuously the smoke also has a strange smell, the car doesn't feel less powerful and there are no warning lights, I'm also losing coolant with no visible leaks (This started before the smoking) I'm new to the Diesel world and this thing has be stumped :bang: Please someone who may have experienced something similar give me advice as to what I can check. I've checked for water and oil mixing and oil and water respectively are clean.
Born to Rock... Ready to Roll
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 2.0 TDI White Clouds & Water loss

Post by panic-mechanic »

You might very likely have a head gasket gone that is putting water in the combustion chamber explaining both the smoke(actually vapour hence the strange smell) and the water loss.
pull the head.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
DJ_TorqueTDI
Enlisted

Post by DJ_TorqueTDI »

Thanks Panic Mech for the reply, on further research of TDI engines I've also been made aware that a failed/failing EGR Cooler has the same symptoms as a blown head gasket? is there any merit to this?????
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Post by Rudi46 »

Yes that can also be, it sits behind the head. You will see the water pipes running to and from it. Easy way to see if that is the problem. Is to Disconect the water pipes from the unit and just connect them to together with a joint.
There are 2 thick ones and 2 thin ones.
If it works you can remove the EGR and just block of the ports on the Exhaust and Intake manifold.
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Rudi46 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 am Yes that can also be, it sits behind the head. You will see the water pipes running to and from it. Easy way to see if that is the problem. Is to Disconect the water pipes from the unit and just connect them to together with a joint.
If it works you can remove the EGR and just block of the ports on the Exhaust and Intake manifold.
will also need to be coded out of the sotware. Unfortunately i would agree with panic, most likely head gasket.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
Rudi46
Cadet
Registered for: 14 years 5 months
Car Make: Nike
Car Model: Walk and see more
Membership No: missing

Post by Rudi46 »

MarshallGTi wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 am
Rudi46 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 am Yes that can also be, it sits behind the head. You will see the water pipes running to and from it. Easy way to see if that is the problem. Is to Disconect the water pipes from the unit and just connect them to together with a joint.
will also need to be coded out of the sotware. Unfortunately i would agree with panic, most likely head gasket.
For some reason only on some of them. Mine has been running like a champ without needed to be coded out.
Current - 1994 VW Caddy 1.8i
EX - 05 Audi A3 Sportback DSG 2TDI
Ex - 01 VW Golf MK4 TDi Estate
Ex - 00 Triumph Sprint ST(Stollen)
Ex - 83 Caddy
Ex - 02 Audi S3
Ex - Kartcraft Kestrel beach Buggy
Ex - 98 Golf Chico 2L
Ex - 01 Golf 4 Tdi
Ex - 92 Citi shuttle 2L
Ex - 90 Yamaha FZR1000
Ex - 90 Honda CBR400
Ex - 03 Honda NSR150SP
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Oh yes if it has a water cooled egr then yes it can be a culprit.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
BIGMIG
Porra Love
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 9N3 GTB22/60vk Sportline
Membership No: 1574

Post by BIGMIG »

My take on EGR blank off's and why the engine light can come up, is that it is atmosphere pressure related.
I had blanked off Goose's EGR a few years back for the only reason of not clogging up the intake. I didn't get any faults from doing it at the time but when I drove down to the Durban about 150Km out I got an engine light. I presumed it was the blank off. Drove around there for a week with the warning still on. Got back to Joburg and had to pay a visit to Trevor at Dimsport so that he could clear the fault which was due to the blank off. It never came up again until I had to take another trip to Durbs. However this one was odd, about half way down the light came on and stayed on like before. Then on my way back up again about half way it cleared itself.

Another case I have also seen one diesel that got blanked off and got an engine light immediately. Even after clearing it would come up straight away. Why? I have no idea. The only way to get rid of it was to have it coded out.

Blank it off and see if your lucky.
My NoPiel assassin

Goose, soot ninja
DJ_TorqueTDI
Enlisted

Post by DJ_TorqueTDI »

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I've checked the EGR cooler and its not leaking, cant really understand how the head gasket blew if it never overheated but I suppose ill be pulling the head this weekend either way. Thanks again....
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

It happens. Not even nearly uncommon.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI