Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Jetta 1.4TSI

Loss of Coolant

Post by NabbyM32 »

Hey guys

Im in need of some help !!

I have a 1.9tdi 74kw, and recently i have been losing coolant, however i am unable to see any leaks at the bottom of the car or around any hoses.

iv also checked the dip stick and oil cap for any creamy substance like when water and oil mix but nothing also i have replaced the water pump when i done the cam-belt about 2000km ago, Iv been topping water up every 2 days now.

Im thinking of maybe changing the water bottle and cap first as iv heard it could be leaking from there when the car is hot.

Anybody had similar issues before? Really hoping it isn't the head-gasket
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Re: Loss of Coolant

Post by MarshallGTi »

Could be the bottle/cap, quick and cheap to replace. A decent Silverton shop will be able to do a combustion leak test to see if the head gasket is blown (combustion chamber to water channel)
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
NabbyM32
Enlisted

Post by NabbyM32 »

I think ill do that first and see from there, think let me weight all the cheaper options first.

but if it is the head-gasket would it not show signs ?
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

Bottle/cap or head gasket I reckon.
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

NabbyM32 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:04 pm I think ill do that first and see from there, think let me weight all the cheaper options first.

but if it is the head-gasket would it not show signs ?
Depends how small the crack is. Tiny one might only show up for a few moments when the motor goes a bit above operating temp, big crack will slowly cause the radiator to bow like a rugby ball and pull the radiator tank crimps open.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
NabbyM32
Enlisted

Post by NabbyM32 »

Thing is the car hasnt overheated it runs below the 90 degrees . just losing water thats all.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Check all the plastic water piping and housings for leaks, many VAG cars from the same era suffer from cracked water flanges, housings, pipes, etc. My 2005 Audi A4 1.8T had a cracked rear coolant flange that was a nightmare to replace but only cost R150 for the part. My brothers 2005 Polo 1.6 had a cracked rear plastic water pipe crack that was fairly easy and cheap to replace. In both cases, getting to the source of the water leak was difficult but both were plastic water pieces that had cracked.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Could also be a leaking waterpump. If the leak is minor its very difficult to notice. Gotta take off the bottom cambelt covers and check from there

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Agree with Ash, in all likelihood its the water pump that could be leaking. There's a possibility that its leaking internally, as the problem progresses its will make its way out through an ovevflow valve. TDI's love chowing up waterpumps :( or its just a very weak design.
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

Agree with Ash, in all likelihood its the water pump that could be leaking. There's a possibility that its leaking internally, as the problem progresses its will make its way out through an overflow valve. TDI's love chowing up waterpumps :( or its just a very weak design :mad: .
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

They are meant to be changed with the cambelt but alot of people dont do that. Having g12 coolant helps when looking for leaks, u dont even need the special light, a very very very slight leak will have like a crusty build up around it.

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: