Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 9n Polo Classic TDi (PD100)
Membership No: missing

Re: TDi mechanic in Durban

Post by dhirennaidoo »

Ashveer03 wrote:
dhirennaidoo wrote:
Ashveer03 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 2:11 pm Im sure they would have checked piston heights and flap while the head was off (i doubt there could have been any rod damage though - sometimes funny stuff happens in engines which are beyond explanation)

Any cam wear? 1 of my friends with a cupra had a similar issue to urs where the car struggles go up steep inclines without boost, after doing a cam kit and injector seals the car was back to normal again (the cam and lifters were eaten up quite abit).

I guess if the compression test doesnt go well have a look at the upper head stuff first..
By piston flap, do you mean lateral movement of the piston? Well, they did not mention anything regarding the cylinders. The engine has 260 000km on it, so did not think the general wear on it would be that bad.

I did have a look at the camshaft while they had the head off and it seemed fine. The chamfers were still there at the sides of the lobes, which I assume to be a good sign?

I hope it's not something as stupid as injector seals. That's why I want a compression test done, just to rule out things.
Thought u had a look at the cam when it was stripped..?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
I did, but while it was on the engine, with lifters beneath. So it did seem fine to me at the time, but
1. I hadn't seen the lifters.

2. Even chamfer wear is hard to spot when you are looking for uneven chamfer wear closer to the highest part of the lobe (which is what I was doing, with nothing to compare to).

You do win for getting it right, though Image

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

'08 350Z
'05 Polo Classic TDi (PD100)

Ex : '12 Mk6 GTi Ed35, '91 Fox 1.8, Honda CBR600F, '09 Honda CBX250 Twister
dhirennaidoo
Cadet

Post by dhirennaidoo »

repost
Last edited by dhirennaidoo on Tue May 29, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'08 350Z

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Its not about getting it right bro, it should have been done properly the first time. Funny thing is the cam had to be removed to replace worn lifters and lifters dont wear on their own..

But anyway, as long as its sorted

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
dhirennaidoo
Cadet

Post by dhirennaidoo »

Ashveer03 wrote:Its not about getting it right bro, it should have been done properly the first time. Funny thing is the cam had to be removed to replace worn lifters and lifters dont wear on their own..

But anyway, as long as its sorted

Yeah, lots of "funny things". But just glad the car runs fine now. Thanks again for your input!

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

'08 350Z

Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

Cool man

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving: