VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Halfway...

Post by VGTI »

After 13 year and 5 months the Polo has reached its halfway point...

Still trouble free and on its original turbo :grin:
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Re: Halfway...

Post by Unobeat »

Hop hop
Congrats bro and i am sure your secret to keeping the OEM turbo running to these kilos is proper oil, warm up and cool down.
Btw have you owned this car from new?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Halfway? It is only just run in...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Unobeat wrote:Hop hop
Congrats bro and i am sure your secret to keeping the OEM turbo running to these kilos is proper oil, warm up and cool down.
Btw have you owned this car from new?
I've had it since new yes, my wife drove it for a while (15000-60000).

I don't realy let it warm up or cool down, in the mornings I start it and drive off, with the necessary sympathy. At my destination I usualy have to drive through parking lots or basements so that is enough cooling as far as I am concerned.

The interior has some spots that need attention, the cloth on the front doorcards are starting to come loose and I saw yesterday the rooflining have spots where it is happening too. The oute bolster on the driver seat has some wear as well but nothing like you would expect from a 14 year old car. That is more to blame on my fat ass :crazy:

I am considering leather for the interior anyway so that should sort out most of the small things
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Are you selling it at 700k km or why is this halfway? What happens at that point?
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

panic-mechanic wrote:Are you selling it at 700k km or why is this halfway? What happens at that point?
To be honest... it was totaly random :oops: But I am sure it will reach 700k

Doubt I will ever sell it, it still serves its purpose very well and is most economical
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

Have to replaced lifters? Head gasket? Injectors? Any pumps?
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

billionairebum wrote:Have to replaced lifters? Head gasket? Injectors? Any pumps?
Cambelt was done at 138k and again at 268k together with waterpump.

New intercooler and alternator pulley around 270k not exactly sure.

Left front wheel bearing around 190k but it turned out to be the tyres that made the noise. :crazy:

Interior fan resistor pack and brake light switch somewhere in the past.

Two new gas struts from Goldwagen for the hatchlid.

And that is it... mostly wear and tear items
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Wow

Car has really treated you well with Lil issues, just wear and tear items needing attention.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
morribiscuit
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo TDi SL

Post by morribiscuit »

Thumbs up for the polo. Lekker milestone!
Current: 1.9TDi SL | GTB17 :crazy:, 7+7 billet | PD-Tuning Stage 3 - 180wkw, 512nm | FMIC, 57mm Straight Pipe | 'Akrapovic' tailpipes | JVC-KWV | FK coilovers | OZ Ultraleggera Reps | Vari Slotted Discs & EBC Green | K&N Cone Filter | HMS Custom Intake | When they ask what it cost, just say 'A bit'
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Further down the road...

Still not using a drop of oil, original clutch, injectors and turbo... pulling strong.

Panic recently replaced the tandem pump and did the 3rd cambelt change with waterpump. Fresh set of Bilstein B4s fitted not so long ago.

Front brakes: factory set replaced at 64000km, second set replaced at 222000km and third set replaced at 384000km
Rear brakes: factory set replaced at 195000km, second set still going
Tyres: factory set replaced around 52000km, second set at 140000km (Yoko A-Drive R1), 3rd set 222000km (Yoko S-Drive) noisiest tyre on the market, 4th set 296000km (Hangkoek something) lost two tyres due to obstacle in road, 5th set 398000km (Hangkoek Something again) still had life left but the toe settings was out and the fronts were worn bad on the inside shoulders.

Biggest cost items were the Tandem pump at R3300 (Panic) and a new Valeo intercooler R2500. The rest all minor maintenance items.

Most economical car ever!

On a side note, I saw a 9n3 SL on Saturday with 79000km on the clock, old oom and tannie left before I could ask them about it. Still stock standard, must have been a 2006/7 model.
Jueshen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Post by Jueshen »

damn thats not much maintenance at all!
i did my injectors recently, one was faulty so refurbed all, so tell me after so many cambelt changes how did the torsion value affect the power?
have you monitored that or didnt notice any difference? you get over 150k on a set of pads, i also get similar
what brand oil and do you stick to one brand diesel?
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
Eurodyne! 230WHP & 390NM @ KAR 2016 - without OB
2013 Honda Ballade Elegance
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1994 Honda Ballade 150 Luxline
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Jueshen wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:07 am damn thats not much maintenance at all!
i did my injectors recently, one was faulty so refurbed all, so tell me after so many cambelt changes how did the torsion value affect the power?
have you monitored that or didnt notice any difference? you get over 150k on a set of pads, i also get similar
what brand oil and do you stick to one brand diesel?
Not sure I follow about the cambelt question... Power feels fine but please elaborate, it sounds interesting!

Belts were changed at 138, 268 and 388... first two by Morne and last by Panic.

Oil, stricktly Shell Helix HX7 AV... at longer intervals :o probably between 20 and 25k. We can discuss this indepth at a later stage... :D

Diesel, mostly Sasol 10ppm as of late as it is the cheapest in my area... but anything when not close to home, down to Shell 500.
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

hmm, the longer drain intervals i am not against, the lower your consumption the less contamination in the oil.
in regards to the torsion / syncro angle, i noticed a difference big time in my low down power after the belt change.
my torsion value (group 04) there are 3 bolts on the pulley that can be adjusted, to far out and car wont start or run very bad, needs to be -3 to +3 each car is different so one setting on mine may not be ideal for yours.
my car cam belt before the change was at -0.5 to 0.0 maybe it moved up to here not sure because of belt stretch had lots of low down power 1600-2000k used to shift below 1900 usually.
now with new belt value is 0.0 to 0.6 and power low down is not there but kicks in very hard from 1900 and much more power in mid range with great overtaking power it a beast on the highway but i dont drive the car like that.. i can loose the 3 bolts and adjust the value back as it has an effect on injection etc and hence the power difference. To me it feels like tubo spool! or maybe it affect spool.. but my total monthly consumption incl weekend is down from 4.2 to 3.9 so im leaving it, maybe when the belt stretches it will go back to the old values. i do miss the low down gear changes, now i have to change at 2k from gear 1-3 and from 4 its fine around 1700 again. its the 2nd cambelt change and i have experienced this once before as well, when i got the car it was like how it is now, then when Morne did my first change power low down was great. i was going to take it to Panic but had to go away for work and when back it was urgent so had a shop at my work do it.. wont say they did anything wrong, i just need to adjust the value if i really want to...

if you want to know more just google: 1.9 tdi torsion value adjustment, you will need vcds to check your value as you move the pulley.
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Ok I follow... stood around when Morne cheged the belt and saw the 3 bolts you talk about.

As said, car feels strong, actually stronger than before the belt change. When the aircon is on the car feels a lot more laggy but I guess that is normal. I don't use the aircon too often though, only when the car was standing in direct sun.

But at the cambelt change he also replaced the tandem pump. There was a noticable flat spot around 3000 rpm which aparently is a symptom of a bad tandem pump, read it somewhere but not sure where. That is also gone now.
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

ok cool, glad to hear that the tandem issue is sorted, i too think i have a small leak around there because twice now i have had to replace a coolant pipe that goes to the back of the head, that pipe has twice gotten swollen / rotten with diesel and sprung a leak. this time round i didnt use oem pipe, i made a plan, with a 4ply silicone pipe of same diameter and ran it differently it should not happen again. on the audi AC on off doesnt make a difference which in power.. havent notice a diff in power either i use AC most of the time on way home.. i am longing to hit 400k without major issues, only hit 250k last week!
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 4 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Post by smoke.machine »

My 2014 1.6tdi is sitting with 355000km with original turbo and injectors..and still going strong..I believe this tdi motors are a gem..if looked after properly
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

Wow!!
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General

Post by Unobeat »

Wow @VGTI

This is an epic milestone.
Congratulations and i am sure now you can never find yourself wanting to sell this car EVER as it had been sooo reliable while doing daily duties.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk

THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Brilliant, I love a high miler tdi.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

VGTI wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:35 am Further down the road...
:hurray: :driving: :driving: Your car has pulled away from my brother's XPolo 1.9TDi, which is now only on 335k km's (hopefully he catches up or at least follows your lead. Wonderful cars when looked after......
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

@VGTI have u used any diesel injector cleaner over the years? Do u consistently use it?
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

Jueshen wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:00 am @VGTI have u used any diesel injector cleaner over the years? Do u consistently use it?
I have never used anything but diesel... :grin:
Jueshen
Lieutenant

Post by Jueshen »

Good to know i havent used either but had one of my injectors go.. hence why im asking
toyota just called me for my wifes d4d service want to charge me R200 for diesel cleaner and R 500 to pour it in for me.
want to charge R85 for engine flush and R 740 to pour it in and run it for 30 min

told them to get lost, nowhere on their service schedule does it state that, they have it available online also, they say every 100k its recommended to do so,they also wanted to flush the AC for R 350, which i can understand but didnt take it either., car is still new and blows too ice for my liking already!

i bought their diesel injector cleaner tho, will just pour it in myself , wish i read this first!
Ex:
2007 Polo GTI
1996 Honda Ballade 150i
1991 Citi Golf 1.3
2009 Citi Rox 1.4i
1989 Citi Sport 1.8
VGTI
Major

Post by VGTI »

I had a Golf V GTI back in the days... 2005 to be exact. Took it to the late Will Glibbery to have it flashed with Revo stage I and later stage II.

During that time I used a "popular" octane booster. At times under hard in gear acceleration, the car had a terrible miss fire and after a plume of smoke from the exhaust would catch up and run like a bat out of hell. It started just after the first bottle of octane booster... obviously it was disconcerting and I soon stopped using the OB. The issue went away short after never to return.

Hence my argument of avoiding any additives, whether two stroke oil, injector cleaner, engine flush... doesn't matter what

I am not in this to start an argument about any of the above, I simply don't use any of them.