2004 Polo 1.9 TDI problematic

Sweff
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 1 month

2004 Polo 1.9 TDI problematic

Post by Sweff »

Hey guy about a week ago my vw Polo TDI ,alternator belt snapped and strands of the broken belt rapped around my cam sprocket effectively holding the engine down so that it could not turn anyway I removed the debris and replaced the alternator belt . The car starts fine but after about 15-20 Min the engine starts with a tapping noise (normally switch it off then) what could be the cause of the problem?

please guy this will probably save me a load of cash on repairs

Thanks

And great forum
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Re: 2004 Polo 1.9 TDI problematic

Post by Ashveer03 »

The alternator belt runs nowhere close to the cam gear (and the cam gear has a cover). Are u sure that it wrapped around the cam and not the crank..?

I would first check if theres any damage to the cambelt/tensioner/roller..

U need to describe the noise in more detail (location of noise, noise with rpm/on idle, etc) as many things could be causing it.

I dont understand what u mean by "holding the engine down". Lack ofpower, hard to start..?

Sent from my SM-J500F using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Sweff
Enlisted

Post by Sweff »

Hey , yes sorry I meant the crank
Cambelt is fine
Tensioner is fine
And the roller
The noise is coming from the crank area it’s a tapping noise
It stats after about 15-20 min of the car idling

What I actually meant by holding down was when my gf try’d starting the car after the strands wrapped around the crank.
it starts perfectly now just the noise and i’m Worried if I decide to take it for a drive , something bad happens and then I have to get it towed
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

I guess that u have fitted on a new alternator belt..

Before going any further, start the car n let it idle until the noise starts then check the alternator belt tensioner.
U are basically looking for whether its running smooth with little to no movement or whether its jumping around like its about to kill itself..

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Also, is the noise consistent or like stop and start or does it make the noise after every few revolutions of the crank..?

Noises are very difficult to diagnose over the net, best bet would be to post a video to make things a little easier.

Check the tensioner first though, if its running smooth then post a video.

Sweff
Enlisted

Post by Sweff »

Hey man I was right the alternator belt snapped and some of the strands got stuck between the cam belts theeth (gf tried to start it and as per her “ no lights on the dash would light up)

I removed those strands and replaced the belt and then after starting it the noise started about 20min later
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Did u check the tensioner as i said above?