Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline Power Steering problem

BigDreamz
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months

Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline Power Steering problem

Post by BigDreamz »

Hi Guys,

I know there is a lot of info on the forums concerning this issue. I have read up quite a bit, but was hoping someone could help me with this. Issue is as follows:

Got the car in 2010 (its a 2005 or 2006 model) and was giving me power steering warning light every now and again with a dead system - switching off and restarting fixed this. Sent the car to VW they replaced angle sensor. (2013)

Issue was fine for a while but started happening again. Last year (2017) the light would come on and stay on even when restarting randomly coming on even when driving or going off when driving with the steering also becoming heavy.

Late last year had an accident driving into a ditch, got pulled out. Power steering was fine afterwards for about 10km, then got to a stop. The power steering turned off and on each time giving a bit of a shudder to the steering system maybe 7 times (all in less than a minute) and went dead.. have not been getting it going since. Checked fuses, checked power steering fluid level.

Someone mentioned a dirty/faulty wire by the steering rack - how do you access it? I would like to check it. Anything else would also be appreciated!! I don't think it will be the pump since it was coming on and off and giving prolonged issues. When it was working, it was working excellent!

VW quoted me 13.5k for a new pump and I seriously don't have the moola for something like that! Even R2k bucks is a big expenditure for me! :crazy:

Thanks!

Edit 1: I also read about checking the earth strap from the pump, will I be able to do so by getting underneath the car and just following it from the pump? I asume there is 3 wires? Positive negative and earth?

Edit 2: I have also replaced the battery since and made sure the terminals were clean. And checked the cables underneath the fuses by the battery to make sure they were clean and fitted right.

Edit 3: I don't know if it makes a difference, but the cable that plugs into the oil sump has come out a few times during the time I have the car, but that never affected the power steering in any way.
Last edited by BigDreamz on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Re: Polo 1.9 Tdi Sportline Power Steering problem

Post by billionairebum »

Have you had it scanned?
BigDreamz
Enlisted

Post by BigDreamz »

No I haven't had it scanned, I live in a rural area and will have to make some effort to get it scanned. Was hoping to first check everything out DIY style before going to Port Elizabeth with it
BigDreamz
Enlisted

Post by BigDreamz »

Please if you can help me I would appreciate it very much. I want to check all the cables/connections if someone could just explain to me where they are and how to get to them etc. (For what I haven't checked)
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Easiest is to check the strip fuses that sit on top of the battery, but you definitely need to get it scanned. Get yourself a cheapie ELM327 dongle off gumtree and the Torque pro app, not very expensive and will help you pinpoint the problem rather than stabbing in the dark.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
BigDreamz
Enlisted

Post by BigDreamz »

Thanks I am getting a unit sent to me for R350 including courier costs. I will update when it gets here and I can run a diagnostic!
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

The steering angle sensor wire runs from the pump (under the battery) to the steering angle sensor (where the steering column meets the steering rack). My steering gave similar symptoms when the steering angle wire was "shorting to zero"

It's a bit of a mission to get it out and then back in again but check the length of the cable for damage.
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
BigDreamz
Enlisted

Post by BigDreamz »

Thanks for the info, I just drove the car round a bit! Will investigate the wire tomorrow. The Elm unit was supposed to arrive today but no luck, hopefully by Monday. Will check back after looking into the wire