LongRoad
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2013 Polo TDI

1.6 TDI idle concerns

Post by LongRoad »

Hi guys.

I may just be a bit over cautious here, but yesterday I did the whole christmas drive to Cape Town from johannesburg deal. Drove right through the night. 11 hours with 30 minutes rest.

Since getting to Cape Town today I noticed my engine sounds louder suddenly. More like a truck when idling than what it used to. Also when i come to a complete stop the revs drop to nearly dying but this does return to normal when i start moving, although the car gets close to dying when trying to move it again and stops on an uphill with the anti roll back is a nightmare.

Once moving its all normal, just the pull away has changed.

I also noticed that there wasnt any initial higher idling after letting the car rest once i got to cpt. Left it off for 6 hours then started it as i was worried it may just have been the heat. Same thing.

Ps : i warm the car up by granny driving for the first 15KM and i idle it for 1-2 minutes before turning it off. Also dont rev over 3500. I use mostly sasols 10 ppm but for this trip i had to fill with 50ppm in colesburg.

Am i being over cautious or could i have hurt something? I'll update tomorrow after a night of resting
LongRoad
Enlisted

Re: 1.6 TDI idle concerns

Post by LongRoad »

Started it again today. Idle seems normal although no initial high idle. Will advise once the car has warmed up. Anyone along the coast that also experiences no initial idle?
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

The map just probably needed to adapt...I drove up to JHB from Durban about a week ago and noticed that the car starts up with a very high idle and then gradually comes down as it gets a bit warmer...but I’m not sure if it’s because of the CPI Tuned map and dpf delete...in Durban the car starts up at 900rpm and remains there...you don’t have anything to worry about from the sounds of things
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
LongRoad
Enlisted

Post by LongRoad »

Thank for the reply.

I did some more research and turns out the cars have an altitude sensor in which means the vehicle knows to compensate for the difference in air pressure.

I also did an ECU reset (unplugged negative from battery and plugged it in after 5 mins) and it sounds as if my turbo is working a lot less now. Power is also better (atleast. A definate must do after such a massive difference in air pressure.