Help Diagnosing Noises 1.6 TDI

sambowks
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 4 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Cross Polo 1.6 TDI

Help Diagnosing Noises 1.6 TDI

Post by sambowks »

Hi all I've just joined... bought my first VW about a month ago but it's not perfect... it has a few weird noises no-one can seem to diagnose. I had the VW agent I bought it from look at it and they were not very helpful at all. Is there a CT based guy who's readily available to have a look?

MAIN ISSUE: A low pitched whine from engine bay...occurs ever so slightly at idle and more so at low revs - loudest is between 1500 and 1800rpm. VW said it was the turbo, I changed the turbo, which was fruitless... now they say its a probably a pully. I have no idea and neither does anyone else so far. It's quite loud...louder than the engine when you're puttering along at 1500rpm.

2: The aircon pipes or something related, near the back of the engine bay, make a grinding/grunting sound when the AC is off...turning it on remedies the noise. It's most audible from inside the cabin when idling...sort of sounds like someone..digging with a spade repeatly, think grave digger on tik.

I thought it may be something to do with the gas... my 'eco' fridge at home makes a similar noise but its continuous and while its running...so..**** me.

3: The car jolts when you're cruising in slow traffic and let of the gas slightly, then jolts again as you re-apply pressure. (engine mounts?)

Those are the main ones for now.... wish me luck.
WesleyA3
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 4 months

Re: Help Diagnosing Noises 1.6 TDI

Post by WesleyA3 »

does the high pitched noise change or go away with AC on/off?