1.9TDI Electrical Problem

Nathaniel1.9TDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

1.9TDI Electrical Problem

Post by Nathaniel1.9TDI »

Hi Guys :hi:

I have a 2008 Polo 1.9TDI 74kw 5 speed, hatch. My car is on 180k and i just did the cambelt and full major service. I got her at 155k, and I am currently having an electrical problem.

1. I start and drive, After 5 Minutes my power steering goes off, Haven't checked the cable as yet. :bang:
2. I just replace my battery two days ago and added another ground from the battery to the gearbox.
3. When my lights are on,Everything is like Blinking, and the lights on the dash by the radio are going off and on, Everything still works, However she is running the battery dead and she doesn't want to start now and than. :bang:
4. I have tested the alternator and she is charging at 13 - 15 volts. :bang:

and that's all the problems i have for now, Loving the car, and i don't want to sell it, but i need help guys , Please help ! ... :bang:

Thank you
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Re: 1.9TDI Electrical Problem

Post by panic-mechanic »

check the box with fuses on the battery for contact and the earths to the body as well. Gearbox is not grounded to the chassis.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Nathaniel1.9TDI
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 5 months

Post by Nathaniel1.9TDI »

panic-mechanic wrote:check the box with fuses on the battery for contact and the earths to the body as well. Gearbox is not grounded to the chassis.
Thank you, I put a ground cable from the battery to the starter which is on the gearbox, Should i move that ?
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 1 month
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

Also make sure you're power steering fluid isn't low, the pump draws lots of current if its running dry.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...