jimbo
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: MK5 1.9 TDI DSG

Golf V 1.9 TDI random occurrences

Post by jimbo »

Hi Guys,

So after owning (and enjoying :cool: ) a 2007 Golf V 1.9 TDI DSG for over a year (162000km at the moment) I have picked up on a few issues that occur at random, I am hoping for some kind of advice as to why they happen?

- When starting the engine from hot the start is best described as 'rough', it starts on the first try but it isn't a smooth process, starting from cold is fine however.
- Sometimes (very rarely) when starting there will be 3 beeps from the cluster and the car will take a few turns to start , however no warning lights show and the car drives fine after starting
- The idle speed increases from 800rpm to 1000rpm whilst in traffic. Sometimes occurs when the headlights/aircon are on but not always. I do a 90km roundtrip to work everyday so the battery should be getting charger properly and the alternator pulley+belt was replaced at the last service.

Could this all be attributed to a battery on its way out? It looks to be at least 3 years old.

- Lastly, when in traffic the gearbox tends to become very 'jerky/clunky' changing from 1st to 2nd and back down to 1st. Is this typical of the DSG box?

Thanks!
BatteryWorldPtaEast
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Model: Polo TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1572

Re: Golf V 1.9 TDI random occurrences

Post by BatteryWorldPtaEast »

Hi , first I will check the earth on the battery to the body . Then remove the fuses at the battery 1 by 1 and clean under then (had this on my polo) and you can see if they are still in 1 piece (had a cracked fuse) . Get the alternator charge checked at a battery place . Last get the car scanned by someone on the club in the VCDS list.

Hope it helps.
Daily drive : Polo TDI Sportline 180 Hp 349 Nm ATW (Trevor's Custom Map) At Night Dyno
Wife's : 1.9 Tdi Touran
Son's : Cross Polo 1.6 Tdi
Chuck_Norris
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI
Membership No: missing

Post by Chuck_Norris »

Jimbo, if you want, let me know and I can scan it for you. I am also in the Randburg area
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Have you done the dsg services at 60k, and 120k km. Oil,and filter...
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
jimbo
Enlisted

Post by jimbo »

panic-mechanic wrote:Have you done the dsg services at 60k, and 120k km. Oil,and filter...
Yep, both done by VW. Oil & Filter changed.
Chuck_Norris wrote:Jimbo, if you want, let me know and I can scan it for you. I am also in the Randburg area
Thanks, I'd like to get it scanned if possible - I'll PM you.
BatteryWorldPtaEast wrote:Hi , first I will check the earth on the battery to the body . Then remove the fuses at the battery 1 by 1 and clean under then (had this on my polo) and you can see if they are still in 1 piece (had a cracked fuse) . Get the alternator charge checked at a battery place . Last get the car scanned by someone on the club in the VCDS list.
Hope it helps.
Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely check and clean all the fuses before trying anything else.
Jambalya
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 3 months

Post by Jambalya »

jimbo wrote:Hi Guys,

So after owning (and enjoying :cool: ) a 2007 Golf V 1.9 TDI DSG for over a year (162000km at the moment) I have picked up on a few issues that occur at random, I am hoping for some kind of advice as to why they happen?

- When starting the engine from hot the start is best described as 'rough', it starts on the first try but it isn't a smooth process, starting from cold is fine however.
- Sometimes (very rarely) when starting there will be 3 beeps from the cluster and the car will take a few turns to start , however no warning lights show and the car drives fine after starting
- The idle speed increases from 800rpm to 1000rpm whilst in traffic. Sometimes occurs when the headlights/aircon are on but not always. I do a 90km roundtrip to work everyday so the battery should be getting charger properly and the alternator pulley+belt was replaced at the last service.

Could this all be attributed to a battery on its way out? It looks to be at least 3 years old.

- Lastly, when in traffic the gearbox tends to become very 'jerky/clunky' changing from 1st to 2nd and back down to 1st. Is this typical of the DSG box?

Thanks!

I own a Golf 5 1.9tdi 2006 model with 166K on the clock and share some similar issues.

Hot start issue, this only happened when on a really long trip driving in summer: on hot start my car overrevved all on its own, almost like diesel runaway. Apparently this has either to with a leaking fuel pump, faulty temp sensor, or an oil leak combusting somewhere. I recently identified a slow oil leak in my turbo oil return pipe, this may fix the problem, who knows.

I have the same idling fluctuations. I replaced the earth cable, and nada changed. I got the battery checked and that seems to be fine too. I suspect it is a lazy alternator.

If you identify any solutions please let me know..
jimbo
Enlisted

Post by jimbo »

**UPDATE**

So I finally decided that something needed to be done as the idle speed random changing all the time was getting to me....

I started with the easiest thing being the battery. I had it checked a few months back and was told it was still okish for the time being.
I had it checked again later week at a battery centre and was told it was pretty much dead.

(FYI batteries for this guy aren't cheap)

So battery replaced and instantly a marked improvement:

- Cold start perfect
- Hot start perfect (not rough/hard start at all)
- Fluctuating idle speed is gone, idles at a solid 800rpm
- Random beeps from the cluster have disappeared and car starts perfectly every time (almost instantly)
- Also, the interior lights and MFD used to flicker when idling, this has stopped.
- Lastly, the drivers window control switches used to turn off and back on when starting the car this has also sorted itself out since a new battery was installed.

I got the alternator checked at the same time and it's charging at the correct voltage.

I'll update as the battery gets a little more worn but hoping this has sorted everything out...for now at least... I'm pretty happy

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by ThatBloke »

Love an easy fix, damn that solved everything one go, cheapest fix ever!!