Turbo oil leak

marius1968
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months

Re: Turbo oil leak

Post by marius1968 »

Panic turbo is already screwed like I said very noisy. So I first want to rule out every possible cause for turbo failure from my side before I take it back to turbo repairer.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yeah bit if the repairer finds the whel have touched and it could be attributed to no pressure he might just tell younto go jump in a lake.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
GremlinCCS
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years

Post by GremlinCCS »

marius1968 wrote:Hi did a oil pressure test tonight start up cold 3.3 bars warm 1.2 bars. Does that sounds within spec? Gremlin yes new drain pipe fitted. Took the feed pipe of put a cut of 1/4 2 litre bottle under pipe to catch oil start the Van by the time I get to the front to check oil was already running out underneath the Van fast
I'm not sure if that's normal
That sounds normal. My pressures are about the same, a little higher when hot. 3.3 cold 1.7 warm might be because your turbo leak?

Sorry to say but I think your only turbo problem are the turbo... I'll send the turbo to better turbo techs if I were you. As said had a bad running with them aswell.

Try turbo direct. I think they much more qualified. They are in Spartan kempton park.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
GremlinCCS
Cadet

Post by GremlinCCS »

Panic do have a point here.

I believe the right way to do it is to either, make sure the engine does not start - remove injector plug. Or remove the drain pipe let the oil still go through the turbo.

Panic what's the best to check oil feed to the turbo?

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Yes remove the drain. That way you check both.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Gremlin i'm with you there but what about my warranty. I'm in Port Elizabeth
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

You have literally screwed the warranty with that anyway. Any turbo expert can clearly see it was run without oil as clear as dailight. It shows telltale marks even if it was for a few seconds. What you should have done is take the car there as requested and just left it for them to sort.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

GremlinCCS
Cadet

Post by GremlinCCS »

marius1968 wrote:Gremlin i'm with you there but what about my warranty. I'm in Port Elizabeth
I understand your problem. I were there but to be honest, how much have you spent installing, removing and delivering the turbo to your turbo guy? When it was me I just decided screw the warranty as the down time, untrustworthy car and my efforts just weren't worth the warranty anymore. That's not even including all the cost for towing a stranded car around.

In the end it's up to you. Are all the effort worth it? How long have you struggled already, do you need the car? If you have time it's probably not that bad. But how many times are you still going to go to them with the same issues, how many tries did they have already. Then the most important question do you still trust any repairs they do? Do you feel safe that you will be able to get into your car and drive a long trip?

I know its extra cost that were not planned but that's life.

I REALLY hope that panics concern will not effect you but the brass bearings are soft and quickly show signs. Any turbo failure tells a tale if inspected. Maybe they won't notice it, or ignore it due to your struggle with them. Holding thumbs for you.

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Don't use the car currently. But I like to get it running for weekend driving or peace of mind that it's 100% if I do need to drive it
Ashveer03
Lieutenant
Registered for: 7 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n 1.9 TDI Sportline

Post by Ashveer03 »

I dont know how i skipped the "feed" pipe sentence while reading ur post, well lets just say that u are lucky that the turbo didnt break and cause other issues, and as panic and gremlin mentioned, the repair guys will most probably find the oil starvation signs and give u hell regarding the warranty.

Everybody thinks that a turbo is a simple part, its not.. And u really dont want to have a blown turbo on ur weekender while u are a few 100 kms away from home.

That shop has done this turbo 3 times already..? i dont know about u, but i will definitely not trust that shop or turbo.

U rather send your turbo to Gabby at Fastec in Jhb, i know of a good few guys who sent their turbos all the way from Dbn to get it reconditioned there.

Sent from my SM-G531H using Tapatalk
When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
GremlinCCS
Cadet

Post by GremlinCCS »

I'm on my way to turbo direct now for mine... It's my last time for a few 100k km hopefully as we found my turbo destroyer on my engine and repaired it.

Been going good for about 3 months, but turbo been damaged before we found the issue.

They quoted 2000 for worst case, will have to see what's damaged first.

ThatBloke
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by ThatBloke »

Can turbos be rebuilt in some instances, I thought they were replaced as units/not user serviceable or is that only when VW get hold of a repair and their policy is replace never rebuild?
Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

ThatBloke wrote:Can turbos be rebuilt in some instances, I thought they were replaced as units/not user serviceable or is that only when VW get hold of a repair and their policy is replace never rebuild?
Turbos are rebuildable, as long as the builder knows what they are doing.
Basically, everything on a turbo can be repaired or modified.

Im sure the only reason vw replaces it as a unit is to make more money out of the job, and maybe also for a reliability purpose aswell.

When a car tailgates me, i slow down - then floor it and give them a cloud of diesel smoke to choke on :driving:
GremlinCCS
Cadet

Post by GremlinCCS »

Replace are always better, I've read alot of turbo recon failures especially on VW but if it's just poor work or a issue I can't say. But I general it's actually an easy, simple thing if you have the knowledge and tools.

First one I'm reconning. All the others broke and could not be saved, cracked the cores.

Rebuilt depends on damage but can be done. They replace the bearings, shaft, seals, turbine etc. In the end the just use the housings.

But that's 2k against 9-13k for a new one and 4-6k for a new core.

Ashveer03
Lieutenant

Post by Ashveer03 »

Yeah. And one should keep away from chinese cores..

GremlinCCS
Cadet

Post by GremlinCCS »

Only Garrett in my eyes, sure there's others that's great but I've been adviced by so many to stick to Garrett so that's what I'll do.

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

2k is cheap for a rebuild in P.E we pay up to 4k if not more. Might have to send my one to JHB
GremlinCCS
Cadet

Post by GremlinCCS »

marius1968 wrote:2k is cheap for a rebuild in P.E we pay up to 4k if not more. Might have to send my one to JHB
Let's see what's the price when they inspected. Will update, what parts get replaced and the real cost.

panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

VW worksops will NEVER repair. Because of warranty issues they just install new parts.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Panic I know I've worked for a VW and Audi dealer I understand where they coming from customers would authorise a rebuild because of the price but if that rebuilt packs up they want to hold the dealer liable. Even though they signed the job card for cheaper option. And you would understand the quality of some of the repairers a bad
marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Hi guys did a oil pressure and compression test everything with in spec want to make sure everything is 100% before I repair the turbo again. My next task would be to check pcv valve are there any test that can be done to check if the valve are working as it should? Another question can my engine have blow-by even though the compression are within spec?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

there really is not a PCV valve as such. Just a basic breather system with a one way valve. Wasn't his engine just rebuilt so why are you worrying about blowby and stuff?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Hi Panic if the breather is blocked won't it build pressure in sump area? Want the check everything before I go back to turbo rebuilders
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Sure, but heere is my question. When one rebuilds engines is there not a process of washing parts? Or how does it happen in your valley. That is the point that one checks if stuff is blocked and that everything is in order. You wash through channels and blow stuff through and generrally assure that everything is open not broken and in order before assembly. You should not have to be sitting wondering after wards that oh is the breather blocked, oh is the return line open , oh is the supply line open.
If you have to wonder about that then the rebuilt was done badly.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

marius1968
Enlisted

Post by marius1968 »

Panic I ask about breather you give 's me an ear full about journals and feed pipes. Wgo would assemble an engine witoutby cleaning. And P.E is not a valley so keep your sarcastic remarks to yourself. And by the way my Van is sorted. Thanks everyone appreciate your input.