2010 VW Polo 1.6 TDI Major Repairs / etc

malphil
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

2010 VW Polo 1.6 TDI Major Repairs / etc

Post by malphil »

Hi all its me again

I am starting this thread for future reference for everyone to use etc. I will list all the things I fixed and changed with my car from 2010

Little background - Own the car from new, (7Km on clock)

11000 km had to change the heater turn switch
Up until 150 000 km only the basic services where done. (belts oils etc)
155 000 km (round about there) Thrust bearing started making a noise and I had it replaced, (was suppose to be full Clutch kit / flywheel etc)
Found out they only did clutch and thrust bearing.

190 000 km replaced Air intake sensor + all 4 Injectors (quite pricey as some may know)

Car is now on 201 000 Km and it is sounding like the thrust bearing is packing up again, although it sounds a lot worse this time, took it to a mechanic i trust and he said its flywheel ? I can hear the sound when the car is idling and it is softer or disappears when i press the clutch. (Almost like grinding noise) any ideas if it is the flywheel?

So now I will probably do a whole kit again.

Still love this car to bits, It has served me well and will serve me until 400k km probably!
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Re: 2010 VW Polo 1.6 TDI Major Repairs / etc

Post by amstel18 »

Definitely the flywheel.

My dad's Corsa Diesel did exactly the same. The Dual mass flywheels have almost like a rubber substance between the 2 plates. This wears away and causes the chatter you described. Best to replace the clutch and thrust bearing again. I would do the rear main seal as well while you in there.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

@malphil
Great feedback.
Seems the car has treated you well with not a lot of issues.
Did it accumulate majority of those kilos on highway driving doing long distances?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

@Unobeat
Jip was mainly highway driving and 7 trips thru Botswana to Outjo in Namibia. Did those Namib trips towing a 5 foot Venter without any problems
LoW n SloW
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 4 months

Post by LoW n SloW »

Your mechanic is probably correct sounds like its the flywheel of which in any case you will need the whole clutchkit
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Hi All just to give an update, Polo went for a check its definitely flywheel, bought the SACHS kit yesterday polo is going in tomorrow, hopefully everything will be all good after the change!
Pynoxim
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Membership No: missing

Post by Pynoxim »

All the best with that, hopefully no more issues for another 200k km's
Thursday Milkshake Crew
'00 GS2 Lexus GS300
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Morning all, Mechanic phoned me this morning, I must come fetch car he is done.

Money spent

SACHS - CLUTCH - R6845
Fitment - R1050

Total spent R7895 not too bad I recon for a completely new clutch-kit and fitment

New Problem

Flashing glow plug light and engine light (again) - Mechs says the computer say its oxygen sensor and exhaust sensor? Any input?
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Hi All, just to give an update, My polo will be going for its 210K km service soon, things that has happened since and what I have to fix now

- Changed EGT sensor with second hand one(did not last long) replacing with new one now
- Moerse shudder while braking (Time for new disks had them skimmed before)
- Knock sound when pulling away and even harder knock when reversing and the pulling away, probably the gearbox mount saying goodbye

What are the long term affects if i dont change the EGT sensor? Car is all of a sudden averaging about 21Km/l (during long trips)
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

it will be slightly down on power as it will probably pull a little bit of fuel to be safe for the turbo.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Came back from Durban this weekend, went to fetch the Polo at Mechanic, few niggles that still needs sorting

Return line at Injector leak off, keeps popping out, so it might be one of the following

- Either clip that keeps it in is not doing its work
- Or there is a blockage somewhere on the return and it keeps popping at weakest point

Just another question, when this happened it pump diesel all over the engine, with what can I clean the motor?

And what is the use for the hood insulation, mine is coming loose at he back of the hood and is starting to lie on the engine cover when hood is closed??
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

They probably broke the clip.
Hood insulation is for noise.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Where can I buy a new clip?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Probably have to buy the whole pipe. Check with goldwagen or vw dealer. But who did the work should really have sorted it if they were the ones to break the clip. No honour anymore.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Thanks Panic, the injectors were replaced at 190 000, so it was fine until now, and all off a sudden this now happened, but will ask the mechanic about it(different Mechanic now working on the car) goldwagen said I must call VW as they dont have those parts, VW quoted R1385 for all 4 injectors return pipes.
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Hey Guys, just an quick update, car went for its service last week, (224K Km) dont know if I told you the following

I have taken the Car to JNES TUNED cant seem to remember when think round about 212K but anyway, also had DPF removed and CAT, and had car mapped , but asked Jannes to map for fuel consumption, as I am past my racing days, car now has a bit of a smoking habit with every start it in the morning but disappears when the car is warm, also gives a nice puff if I hammer it in 3rd / 4th gear when overtaking. So far so good car has been extremely light on fuel, getting close to 1200km per tank.

I am still driving with a engine light on, it seems it is an exhaust sensor, but was just to lazy to source it and replace it.
8VALVE-zn
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Make: VW Golf 1
Car Model: 2.0 h8 valve

Post by 8VALVE-zn »

It is pretty normal for it to throw a bit of smoke on start up after a remap, its has to do with the change in fuelling on the map. On mine, it would smoke for about 2-3 seconds and then nothing thereafter when warm. Did you do a full downpipe on the car to eliminate the DPF? I actually got the dpf flowed on my one, it changed the sound of the car in a minimal way.
2000 Golf 1 Chico- CRANKCASE [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported & chopped by Fastcar, 288 Estas Billet, 4-2-1 43mm Brospeed Branch, 50mm-57mm-63mm Exhaust] + THE PART (2B1 speacials) -Final power @ Autotrix 111wkw & 210wnm :drool: :evil:

2007 Velociti- WHITEWALKER [Std 2.0 bottom end, head gas flowed,ported, valve swirled, 276 Estas, 4-2-1 Branch, 57mm piping from front to back] :oops: :drool:
muloiwak
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 8 months

Post by muloiwak »

These are the things that failed on mine, sold it at 140 000KM though
-EGR cooler - R14k(Warranty claim)
-Mass air flow meter - R3k(Warranty claim)
-Boot lock - R2k(Warranty claim)

Other common failures on these
-Piezo Injectors - Quite expensive - R5k per injector, this excludes labour, you need a very good mechanic to replace these, code and adapt them, Genuine injectors are R12k each
-DPF - you can just get a DPF delete done