Wheel Whore
Registered for: 16 years 7 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: F30 320i Sportspack
Membership No: missing

Polo 1.9 Tdi - Loss of coolant

Post by sumesheng »

Hi Everybody

I'm a bit baffled with the loss of coolant in my 1.9 tdi Polo (96kw) and hope that some of you can provide me with some advice if you have experienced the same.

Recently, I noticed that the coolant level had to be topped up by 300 ml every week. This bothered me so I took it in for a diagnosis where I was told to replace the expansion bottle and radiator. Upon doing so, it made the situation worse, as the coolant had to be topped up everyday.

The oil seems fine as there's no visible sign of mixture of water (creamy stuff). The temp gauge is normal and hasnt moved over the 90 degree temp. No vapor from the exhaust as well.

The repair center also did a pressure test and they couldn't find the fault. There's no sign of leakage on the floor either.

Im really hoping its not anything major :sad:
84GTI
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Re: Polo 1.9 Tdi - Loss of coolant

Post by vee4410 »

Check all the coolant lines for leaks and check the timing belt area as the waterpump on these engines do leak when the O ring get worn.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Blown headgasket is not uncommon on them and it simply burns the water. Not every single blown headgasket results in oil and water mixed.
Also not guaranteed that you will see water vapor specially on a diesel.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
JonaDTD
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2.0 8V

Post by JonaDTD »

These TDi gaskets do go, yeah - and most commonly would not show mixing. Drive the car as normal, then the following morning, try feel the upper water hose. Is it still hard? If you open the expansion bottle, is there a big release of pressure?
Lemon Citi Ride Thread:
1995 Citi - 2.0 8v, headwork, double valve springs, Estas 288, bigger valves, Dicktator, 4-2-1 branch, 50-57mm progressive exhaust.

Ex ladies:
Polo TDi Sportline 2008 9n3 - GTB2268VK, FMIC, Fuel Cooler, A/C Delete, Interior Delete, Sparco Deep Dish Wheel, 12.9 Head Bolts, Race Pipe, 63mm Exhaust, Full Poly Mounts, Coilovers, blah blah blah. Ride Thread Here: SR Tuned BT TDi
Polo 2.0 Highline 9n3 (90kw 175nm) SOLD
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi (RIP)
sumesheng
Wheel Whore

Post by sumesheng »

Thank You all for your replies.

@JonaDTD, yes there was a bit of pressure when I opened up the cap. So I guess this could be a blown head gasket afterall. :bang:

Any idea how much this is going to cost approximately?
84GTI
JonaDTD
Cadet

Post by JonaDTD »

sumesheng wrote:Thank You all for your replies.

@JonaDTD, yes there was a bit of pressure when I opened up the cap. So I guess this could be a blown head gasket afterall. :bang:

Sounds like it... Seeing as you replaced the coolant cap already.
Well, where are you based, and how handy are you? That is the main question.
Lemon Citi Ride Thread:
1995 Citi - 2.0 8v, headwork, double valve springs, Estas 288, bigger valves, Dicktator, 4-2-1 branch, 50-57mm progressive exhaust.

Ex ladies:
Polo TDi Sportline 2008 9n3 - GTB2268VK, FMIC, Fuel Cooler, A/C Delete, Interior Delete, Sparco Deep Dish Wheel, 12.9 Head Bolts, Race Pipe, 63mm Exhaust, Full Poly Mounts, Coilovers, blah blah blah. Ride Thread Here: SR Tuned BT TDi
BIGMIG
Porra Love
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Model: 9N3 GTB22/60vk Sportline
Membership No: 1574

Post by BIGMIG »

Could also be water pump.
My NoPiel assassin

Goose, soot ninja
GremlinCCS
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by GremlinCCS »

There's always a little pressure in the system, so if it's just a little it might be something else. But everyone's little are different.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
smoke.machine
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo Tdi

Post by smoke.machine »

Also check condition of thermostat housing. made of plastic ...can also leak there
Current: 9n3 1.9 TDI Pd100...cupra lip..Pgti rear apron
LoW n SloW
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by LoW n SloW »

blown hg...sorry
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)
Eddels
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: Seat

Post by Eddels »

I also had to replace headgasket, water pipes were rock solid hard, did not use any water though. Driving experience were normal.
Do a headgasket leak test maybe
My Seat Leon Cupra Thread - 240wkw and 525nm
My Seat IC Candy Project Ed Tuned - 281wkw and 711NM

Seat Ibiza Cupra tdi Silver - Stock
Seat Ibiza Cupra tdi Grey - Race Car
sumesheng
Wheel Whore

Post by sumesheng »

Thanks for all your replies.

I have booked the car in to have the everything inspected and repaired if necessary. I'll report back as soon as the repair has been completed.
84GTI
JonaDTD
Cadet

Post by JonaDTD »

You will know if there is a lot of pressure, its a big release when the cap opens. A little is normal, a big gush isn't.
Lemon Citi Ride Thread:

Ex ladies:
sumesheng
Wheel Whore

Post by sumesheng »

JonaDTD wrote:

You will know if there is a lot of pressure, its a big release when the cap opens. A little is normal, a big gush isn't.
I did feel the water pipes and they were not hard as described by Eddles. The pressure was not high at all when i opened up the cap.
84GTI
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

If you have G12 coolant, check engine with UV light, to see traces of coolant that might evaporate before it puddles in a location?
sumesheng
Wheel Whore

Post by sumesheng »

Ok, I have a small update on my issue.

The head gasket was the culprit causing the coolant loss. Head was tested at an engineering shop and all seemed fine. Once everything was assembled including cam-belt and water-pump, the car had little to no boost and was going into limp mode. I was told by the workshop that the turbo vanes were stuffed up (it was working perfectly prior to the head removal). Fitted a new turbo supplied by VW and now the car is boosting again, but only from around 3000 rpm onward :bang:

The technician is still working on the car so im hoping its nothing major. If all else fails..... i'm buying 5l of petrol and a box of matches :cry:
84GTI
LoW n SloW
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Post by LoW n SloW »

sumesheng wrote:Ok, I have a small update on my issue.

The head gasket was the culprit causing the coolant loss. Head was tested at an engineering shop and all seemed fine. Once everything was assembled including cam-belt and water-pump, the car had little to no boost and was going into limp mode. I was told by the workshop that the turbo vanes were stuffed up (it was working perfectly prior to the head removal). Fitted a new turbo supplied by VW and now the car is boosting again, but only from around 3000 rpm onward :bang:

The technician is still working on the car so im hoping its nothing major. If all else fails..... i'm buying 5l of petrol and a box of matches :cry:
are you not having, timing issues?
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)
gumpertapolloss
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza Cupra
Membership No: 2045

Post by gumpertapolloss »

Could be a huge vacuum leak as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Current:
2007 Seat Ibiza Cupra 1.9Tdi.
(PD-Tuning, Bmc Flatbed, straight pipe)
Ex:
1991 Vw CTI Golf (Sold)
2008 Opel Corsa Lite Sport (Sold)
2007 Nissan 350Z Convertible "HR" (SOLD)
2009 Citistorm (SOLD)
2003 Aprilia RS125 (SOLD)
1999 Fiat Uno Mia 3-DR (SOLD)
sumesheng
Wheel Whore

Post by sumesheng »

Thanks for replies everyone. Another update :smile:

Apparently the injectors were stuffed causing the car to boost above 3000prm. I managed to source a set of second hand injectors and the car now boosts around 1800rpm as per normal. I dont know how they were damaged as the car was driving perfectly before the head was removed. :sad:

The car does feel very underpowered but I have no choice to drive it like that for now until the new year.

Cheers!
84GTI
JonaDTD
Cadet

Post by JonaDTD »

sumesheng wrote:Thanks for replies everyone. Another update :smile:

Apparently the injectors were stuffed causing the car to boost above 3000prm. I managed to source a set of second hand injectors and the car now boosts around 1800rpm as per normal. I dont know how they were damaged as the car was driving perfectly before the head was removed. :sad:

The car does feel very underpowered but I have no choice to drive it like that for now until the new year.

Cheers!
Was the head skimmed? This is very common, happened to two guys I know who have had the heads skimmed and the injectors failed shortly after.
Lemon Citi Ride Thread:

Ex ladies:
sumesheng
Wheel Whore

Post by sumesheng »

Yes the head was skimmed unfortunately. It drives ok during short runs however on the highway feels like its holding back and goes into limp mode at times.
84GTI
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

I also had to replace injectors after skimming my head. Not sure what's the "right" way to do it, but it sure does SUCK replacing them as it's extremely costly. The place that fitted your new turbo, they haven't adjusted the actuator to try and get you earlier boost back in the day when the car only reached full boost at 3500rpm ?? Also, check all vacuum lines from your vacuum box to the end. Lastly, check VCDS to see whatsup, might be under or overboost causing the car to limp. I reckon overboost, since underboost would have cause little to no boost at all
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal