Golf 5 2.0 TDI

Theodore
Enlisted
Registered for: 7 years 7 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Golf 5 2.0 TDI

Golf 5 2.0 TDI

Post by Theodore »

Hi guys I just got myself a Golf 5 2.0 TDI how do I go about on doing a front mount intercooler mod?
BatteryWorldPtaEast
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1572

Re: Golf 5 2.0 TDI

Post by BatteryWorldPtaEast »

Hi , welcome to the forum .

No need as your car already have 1 installed .
Daily drive : Polo TDI Sportline 180 Hp 349 Nm ATW (Trevor's Custom Map) At Night Dyno
Wife's : 1.9 Tdi Touran
Son's : Cross Polo 1.6 Tdi
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Yes I know that but if going to put a tune file and exhaust want to put a good cooler and also the way the standard one is to get getting the front mount cooler,where can I get this done or how do I go about doing it ?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 8 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

I Kind of don't understand this how to go about it question. What exactly is it you want to know.
How you go about it is is to buy a bigger cooler, mount it in front and make plumbing to get to and from it.

Alternatively drop it somewhere that does this kind of thing.
Not sure how else to answer that question.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Thanks there I presumed so ,you know what cooler would be ideal to put and where can I get everything done in Durban ?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

I can't tell you where in durban no. Lots of guys here down there with mods so somebody will jump in I hope.
But look for dubcorp. He is the one guy thatbdoes vw's that could possibly help.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

GremlinCCS
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Post by GremlinCCS »

Do you really think it's necessary? The car do have quite a large intercooler standard. Not saying it's the best option but I can't see why if your not upgrading the turbo.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Yes ive heard of dubcorp,yes but if I put software ect... will the car not over heat ?
Also I just got the car like 2 months now im sorting some issues with it after its all sorted then il just do straight pipe and software but just worried if I put a file the car over heating,hense I thought of doing a front mount cooler
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Overheat how?
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

The 2.0TDI has the same front mount cooler as the Golf 5 GTI, it is behind the radiator. You can replace the stock cooler with a unit out of the Audi S3, its the same diameter but has a thicker core and works very well.

Speak to DubCorp or Wes from 86 Automotive for options
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Hero
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years
Car Model: 9n Polo 1.9 TDi Sportline 96kw

Post by Hero »

The car won't overheat with software etc as long as it's a reputable tuner..... with a good tune you'll get better fuel economy, more power and yes most cases a lot more smoke when you put foot but not so much when you drive normally around. Only benefit to a bigger cooler is that you won't suffer from heat soak as much(the heat that builds up causing you to gradually make lower power due to intake temps).

I speak of this software on the tdi as I have software on my 96kw polo as well... with the polo oddly you make slightly more torque with the stock coolers but you make slightly more kws with the front mount. Also please don't put a cone on your tdi all it does is make you loud and perhaps better low down and mid range pull but the stock air box is pretty damn good just get a nice flatbed filter and you're set then look at getting a nice snorkel that's wider if you want or if you can find a wider one. Riccardo from RK motion is also in durbs if I'm not mistaken. So check out all the tuners and the one YOU feel most comfortable with use buddy.

Also small piece of advice, perhaps do the software firstly and just a decat on the exhaust system.... then slowly mod your way up from there sometimes you'll find some mods are pointless but you'll only feel that by doing it one mod at a time. Worthwhile first mods are software + flatbed filter oiled + decat then see how she feels from there and also if your tuner is good enough you can try ask for more or less smoke(rolling coal)

Good Luck

RK Motion lightly tuned, Cupra PD160 snorkel, Decat

"If in doubt, flat-out!" ~ Colin McRae
"I am not designed to come 2nd or 3rd, I am designed to win" ~ Ayrton Senna
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Guys any advice what could cause my car to go on limp mode when driving high speed or up a hill,id have to switch the car off and on ,and power wise is not as what it use to be...?
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Hero ,and to the rest of you guys thanks for the advice, just before I do the software and decat my car is going to for service and cam belt change but the day I got the car it had a good raw punch for a stock tdi,after a month of having the car for some reason its just going to limp mode and sometimes jurk, the car is doing about 165km on the clock what could be the cause of this less power ,big lag and the limp mode coming in ?
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Theodore wrote:Hero ,and to the rest of you guys thanks for the advice, just before I do the software and decat my car is going to for service and cam belt change but the day I got the car it had a good raw punch for a stock tdi,after a month of having the car for some reason its just going to limp mode and sometimes jurk, the car is doing about 165km on the clock what could be the cause of this less power ,big lag and the limp mode coming in ?
First of all, forget modifying the car any further until you have found the issues you talk of.

The issues you mention could be caused by numerous things. You may want to check the MAF, the vacuum control box and have the car logged to get an idea of what is going on
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Yes Dazza, will only do software ect... when the car Is healthy and sort these issues im experiencing ,will have to get it checked out, will the turbo have a cause in regards to the problem?
Theodore
Enlisted

Post by Theodore »

Guys having trouble with my g5 tdi , if I drive at hight speed or up a hill the car will jerk sometimes or just lose power completely id then have to switch it off and on, my knowledge is it going to limp mode what could be the the problem? Can it be the turbo if so how can you tell? If not the solution to the car coming into limp mode....thanks
UzziB
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A3 1.8TFSI 8P

Post by UzziB »

Take it to a mech boet
If you aint first, your last !!!

THANAS
Forum Advertiser
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: AW Polo GTi
Membership No: 2035

Post by THANAS »

Limp mode when the motor is under high load, like going up a hill, overtaking in a high gear can be caused by overboost, positive or negative deviation from specified boost that exceeds the threshold will put the car into limp. That's a common occurence with the 1.9 and 2.0TDi. It's sometimes caused by sticky turbo vanes or vacuum leak or faulty N75. Try get the car scanned. Dubcorp has been mentioned. Don't bother guessing and speculating when there are places that can scan the vehicle for you and pinpoint the problem.
Hero
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years
Car Model: 9n Polo 1.9 TDi Sportline 96kw

Post by Hero »

Yeah I agree with all the guys above, get the car scanned and don't even smell new mods until the car is running decently stock. Vacuum box, N75 or turbo issues are amongst things that could cause this as the guys above have said. When scanned the bet will certainly be on a boost issue.... it's not the end of the world to get fixed.... perhaps the tuner you use even has a spare vacuum box sitting one side to test the issue. Luckily for me with the polo I had a similar issue one day and just turned out one pipe had popped off. Holding thumbs and keep us updated on this don't want a fellow tractor driver not having fun like the rest of us

RK Motion lightly tuned, Cupra PD160 snorkel, Decat

"If in doubt, flat-out!" ~ Colin McRae
"I am not designed to come 2nd or 3rd, I am designed to win" ~ Ayrton Senna
Frikkie
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years
Car Model: MK5 Golf 2.0 TDI Sportline

Post by Frikkie »

Had the same issue with my MK5 2.0tdi. Was just the vacuum pipe that leaked. Did lots of research an most common reasons are stuck vain in turbo or vacuum problem that cause over or under boosting. There is lots of videos on web to how to fix this. Good luck. Small problems can feel like it is the end of the world.
DJ7
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 6 years 5 months
Car Model: MK5 2.0 TDI DSG
Membership No: 3238

Post by DJ7 »

Very useful thread with lots of decent info in it. Instead of making a new thread I thought it wiser to use this thread for my questions.

So I want to do a straight pipe 63mm exhaust and software. looking to do it early in next year. I am not too clued up on the stage 1, stage 2 stuff and what it entails. Want to really just get better fuel economy and some extra oomph when I want it. Car is DSG so don't really think I will race it. As I am in Cpt I was going to use STO, SRtuned or JVS for the software. Is there anything else I should look at doing? Car already has a replacement k&n flat pan filter.

Car is a '05 G5 2.0 TDI.

Looking forward to the help and responses gents.
Current: '05 VW Golf 5 2.0 TDI Sportline (hers)
Current: '97 VW Jetta VR6 (his)
Project: '83 Datsun 1400 Sunny (project)
Ex: '97 Astra Estate 200i
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
DJ7
VWCSA Member

Post by DJ7 »

DJ7 wrote:Very useful thread with lots of decent info in it. Instead of making a new thread I thought it wiser to use this thread for my questions.

So I want to do a straight pipe 63mm exhaust and software. looking to do it early in next year. I am not too clued up on the stage 1, stage 2 stuff and what it entails. Want to really just get better fuel economy and some extra oomph when I want it. Car is DSG so don't really think I will race it. As I am in Cpt I was going to use STO, SRtuned or JVS for the software. Is there anything else I should look at doing? Car already has a replacement k&n flat pan filter.

Car is a '05 G5 2.0 TDI.

Looking forward to the help and responses gents.
Any responses to the above gents?
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place

Post by panic-mechanic »

Not really. Speak to the tuner you want to use he will advise is there is tune specific hardware needed.
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'05 Touareg v10

DJ7
VWCSA Member

Post by DJ7 »

panic-mechanic wrote:Not really. Speak to the tuner you want to use he will advise is there is tune specific hardware needed.
Thank you Panic, much appreciated.
'00 Corsa 200 GSI 16v
'96 Astra 200i E 16v
'02 Corsa 160 GSI
'93 Ballade 160e
'95 Astra 200i E 16v