2010 VW Polo TDI glow plug light flashing

malphil
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 8 months

2010 VW Polo TDI glow plug light flashing

Post by malphil »

Hi All, so i got my polo serviced (180 000km) received the car back all fine, drove 20km and then the glow plug light starts to flash (Wednesday), drove home(another 120km) now..... next day (Thursday) the light was gone???? Ok (Friday) the light is is off drove another 40km now the light is flashing again? What could be wrong?
ETunersSA
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Golf 7 R TTE535
Membership No: missing

Re: 2010 VW Polo TDI glow plug light flashing

Post by ETunersSA »

Have the car scanned for error codes.

Could be a number of things. MAF sensor not connected or plugged in correctly. Differential pressure sensor. Boost leak etc.
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

We have alot of cases where this happens on a faulty brakelight or brakelight switch. Make sure all your lights are working when you press the brake pedal
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Came from VW klerksdorp now and the diagnostics check says brake light, nothing else? So I would presume that it is the switch? as all the lights are working
Slow_Polo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST
Membership No: missing

Post by Slow_Polo »

Hey bud,

I had a similar issue on my TDI.
Car went in for routine service and few days later I had the flashing glow plug light.
Common things as per the manual are the brake lights and brakelight switch but mine were all fine.

Dealer scanned the vehicle and said it could be due to a sensor on the intake. They asked me to book it in for a replacement.
When I left it with them, they said it was due to "brittle" intake pipes. I found that weird as there was absolutely nothing wrong with the car until the service.
I got them to replace it at their cost and the fault was still there.

I picked up that the light only came on at certain conditions and if I switch off and start the car again, then the light would stay off until similar condition arised.
In the end it was just a software issue. After taking it back like 3 times.
Think they updated the software during the service and that caused the issue. So there were no hardware issues.
Get them to check that and let you know.

Hope you come right.
vee4410
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 5 months
Car Model: Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI, 9n 1.6

Post by vee4410 »

Another thing to check is all the connections of the bulbs especially at the rear.

I had the same issue where the glow plug light would flash intermittently and no fault codes found. It turned out to be a faulty brake light bulb.
The filament contacts where making contact with each other, changed bulb and issue resolved.

Hope your fix is as simple as that.
Current Rides:
2007 Polo 9n3 1.9 TDI
2004 Polo 9n 1.6
2015 MB w205 C180
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Ok thanks for all the info guys, so now the car was with me this weekend(the car actually belongs to my wife) no light nothing, she drove to work this morning, (50km) now the light is flashing and the engine light came on????

I have checked the bulbs, everything, they all work, I am now going to replace the brake light switch(just in case) to see if that works!

Is there anyone that might be able to come have a look at the car?? Someone in the vicinity of Potchefstroom with a diagnostics tool? As I actually don't trust VW

Regards
1.6 tdi
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 4 months

Post by 1.6 tdi »

Hi there , my car is doing the exact same thing. Did you manage to find out what was wrong? Regards
malphil
Cadet

Post by malphil »

Have a look at this thread

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=203138
manu777
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 6 months

Post by manu777 »

my glow plug light came on last year just before a service. I deactivated the service interval as i knew i was about to have my car serviced however, the light popped up. at the time my polo took a while to start up cold. when i took it in to vw they scanned it and said it was due to the exhaust sensor which failed. so they replaced it and all was well. however, i recently changed the oil and oil filter for my car, and reset the service interval pop-up and the glow plug light appeared again.... like most of the people here, it appears and then disappears and so on.... it has to do with the service interval within the computer i think.
oemplus
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1,9 TDI Sportline

Post by oemplus »

Had a similar problem. replaced brake switch. Few pumps of pedal should clear code. Light remained even after clearing codes.

Read up on a forum that you should replace bulbs also, did that even though they seemed ok - light cleared. Its cheap and worth a try.

Did the trick for me. Worth a try
VW Chico 1.3 (2E 2l 8v, Twin Weber 40s, 50mm Exhaust )
Seat Cupra TDI (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Button Clutch, Hybrid Turbo, Coilovers, Stage 2+)
VW Beetle 1600S (Full restoration)
Mazda MX5 NB (Decat, Solid Mounts, CAI)
VW Polo TDI Sportline 9n (EGR delete, Racepipe, Straightpipe, RK Comp Clutch, Stage 1)
VW Citi 1.4i (272cam, Profit 50mm Exhaust)
M Damane
Enlisted
Registered for: 3 years 9 months

Post by M Damane »

Hi VW POLO bluemotion glow plug is flashing and is powerless