Radio Codes???

This forum is designated for In Car Entertainment discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
RiaanTouran
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touran 2.0 tdi

Radio Codes???

Post by RiaanTouran »

Hi there guys. Im going to remove my starter over the weekend to get it overhauled. So I need to remove both battery terminals. The problem is when im done im going to need my radio's code. I asked the dealers. they said I have to take the car to them for it to get plugged in to the computer to get the code at an cost of R250. Isn't there an better way to get this code?

I don't mind paying the money but I have to travel and take time of to get to the dealer coz we don't have one in town. :lol:
If it doesn't smoke, it doesn't poke.
pyro-zn
Major
Registered for: 11 years 4 months
Car Model: Golf 7R
Membership No: 2072

Re: Radio Codes???

Post by pyro-zn »

Few options ...
1. Radio code might be in your Owner's Manual.
2. Radio code used to be placed behind or on top of the radio itself until VW realised that they made it easy for thieves.
3. Call another dealership as the existing code is stored on the system... they can be difficult most times.
4. I believe these radios will go into safe-mode, but if you leave it on long enough (can't remember how long), they will go out of safe-mode on their own.

Current: '17 Golf VII R
Ex: '12 TR Golf Vi GTi DSG ::: Revo3 - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi (Take 2) ::: FR&R Tuned (163wkw 385nm) - thread
Ex: '13 Polo 1.4 Comfortline ::: PanoRoof | JOM Bluelines | 17" A-Line Racers | 17" VW Boavista's
by Borbet - thread
Ex: '07 Polo GTi ::: 76mm downpipe | 63mm exhaust | sLammeD - pics thread
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

pyro-zn wrote:Few options ...
2. Radio code used to be placed behind or on top of the radio itself until VW realised that they made it easy for thieves.
This......

I always ensure I have these details from dealer (new or used car) Or when buying 2nd hand.
rodga
Nazi Spelling Master
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Model: MKVI GTI
Membership No: 1323

Post by rodga »

Howie-WP wrote:
pyro-zn wrote:Few options ...
This......

I always ensure I have these details from dealer (new or used car) Or when buying 2nd hand.
They no longer supply codes in the manual etc to new vehicles for security reasons

Just plug it back in and drive around for few mins should come out of safe mode on its own if it was already installed in that car
*** The MKVI How-To, FAQ, and Do-It-Yourself Guide ***
rodga's ride
'10 MKVI GTI - tornado red, manual, sunroof, xenons
'09 Generic XOR 125 - matte black - Daily Driver :)

WillemT
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 3 months
Car Model: Jetta 5 1.9tdi, Touran 1.9tdi

Post by WillemT »

I have removed the battery on my '07 Jetta tdi plenty of times.
The longest was probably for around a month. Never needed a code for the radio.
Remember that even when you remove the battery there's still power on the security system.

I found this out once when I opened my bonnet with the bat removed when the car was locked and the alarm went off. You can imagine my surprise... It's a lot softer than normal but it went off never the less.

So the radio can see when it's removed from the car even if the battery is disconnected. If you leave it in the car it shouldn't even go into safe mode when the battery was disconnected.

All that happens on my jetta when bateryt is removed is I lose my trip data...
tgfisher1
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 11 months

Post by tgfisher1 »

Disconnect the battery then unplug the ecu overnight. This sorted my problem on gti 5.
Afutho
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Re: please help my radio on safe mode

Post by Afutho »

Please help me my radio is on safe mode. I don't have manual book 2011 model polo vivo.what must i do
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 3 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Re: please help my radio on safe mode

Post by Neuk »

Afutho wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:41 pm Please help me my radio is on safe mode. I don't have manual book 2011 model polo vivo.what must i do
Have you tried your local dealership? They should be able to supply you with your radio code using your cars VIN.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant
Registered for: 19 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg / Caddy / Polo / Citi
Membership No: missing

Post by OettingerTDi »

I went through this very exercise a few months ago.

No easy way out I'm afraid, you will need to contact the dealer. It is the easiest option, although it might cost you a few rands if they insist. The internet options to get the pin look good until the point where they require your credit card details, usually in the $20 region.

The car and radio are matched. If it is the same radio the car came with, the car's VIN Number should work to get the pin code. In my case I exchanged the Polo's Beta radio tape with a VW branded front loader MP3 from another VW. It was out of the car, therefore they could use the radio's serial number to get the pin.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2004 Polo 1.6 Comfortline
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1998 Jetta 3 CLX (Taken by a friendly chap called Jack)
1993 Uno Turbo
1988 Ford Laser 1600i Sport
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

OettingerTDi wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:24 pm I went through this very exercise a few months ago.

No easy way out I'm afraid, you will need to contact the dealer. It is the easiest option, although it might cost you a few rands if they insist. The internet options to get the pin look good until the point where they require your credit card details, usually in the $20 region.

The car and radio are matched. If it is the same radio the car came with, the car's VIN Number should work to get the pin code. In my case I exchanged the Polo's Beta radio tape with a VW branded front loader MP3 from another VW. It was out of the car, therefore they could use the radio's serial number to get the pin.
As far as Morne has mentioned on here, I will try find the post, a dealership is not permitted to charge you for supplying a radio code.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

Thanks Nic, good to know, I recall from an older post that someone got charged a few bucks to get the pin.

I wasn't charged for mine.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

OettingerTDi wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm Thanks Nic, good to know, I recall from an older post that someone got charged a few bucks to get the pin.

I can't find the post now, obviously :roll:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
kingnoss
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Model: POLO VIVO

Post by kingnoss »

Hi there, what I did is start the car, then connect the power supply of the radio. This worked on my radio after tracker had disconnected my battery, and after my friend loaned me his radio. Start the car , then connect radio.
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

kingnoss wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:11 pm Hi there, what I did is start the car, then connect the power supply of the radio. This worked on my radio after tracker had disconnected my battery, and after my friend loaned me his radio. Start the car , then connect radio.
Very interesting, will remember that.
All the available blurb says connect first, switch on the ignition and enter code.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Neuk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm
OettingerTDi wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm Thanks Nic, good to know, I recall from an older post that someone got charged a few bucks to get the pin.

Found it, randomly, but it is from 2010...
g60 golf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:44 am THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHARGE FOR THE RADIO CODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It says on elsa and one or two other places that it is a free service.
The new cars dont come with codes as the programmed to cluster.

Get me a serial number and phone me ill get u code.
It is the vwz.......................... number on radio.Depending on the radio you can use vag-com and go into radio then rmvb channle 81.
All radios except old velo and beta/gamma or sharan/ford radio or old grundig radios.

If the serial number is a SEZ...................... number you wont get code from VW only from Fixtrade and then it will cost you.
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Mervin3710
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Mervin3710 »

kingnoss wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:11 pm Hi there, what I did is start the car, then connect the power supply of the radio. This worked on my radio after tracker had disconnected my battery, and after my friend loaned me his radio. Start the car , then connect radio.
Many thanks Kingnoss, this worked for me after i had removed my radio. My radio beeps every 10 seconds with "CD ERROR", i removed the CD tray but the damn thing still beeps :bang:
Ricky101
Enlisted

Post by Ricky101 »

Hi guys i removed my radio fuse on my polo vivo 1.4 2010 model as it blew i put a new fuse in today and now its asking for a safe code

I looked everywhere and cant find a thing
Any help please
Ricky101
Enlisted

Post by Ricky101 »

Ricky101 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:59 am Hi guys i removed my radio fuse on my polo vivo 1.4 2010 model as it blew i put a new fuse in today and now its asking for a safe code

Any help please
OettingerTDi
Lieutenant

Post by OettingerTDi »

Ricky101 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:59 am Hi guys i removed my radio fuse on my polo vivo 1.4 2010 model as it blew i put a new fuse in today and now its asking for a safe code

Any help please
Ricky, three options:

1. Check the owners manual, on the second or third page there is a vehicle info section, usually the radio code is stuck in there. Alternatively the radio's user manual will have this in front.
2. Try the solutions noted in the last few threads above, i.e. start car and then plug in radio's power.
3. Remove the radio and take it to a dealer, they use the radio's serial number to obtain the code from the VW Mother Ship. Good idea to take your car's VIN number along too. Go to the service department and ask very nicely if they can assist you by explaining what happened. They are not supposed to charge for this, but some places will try to make a quick buck.
Anton van Graan

Current:
2009 Touareg 3.6 VR6
2007 Caddy Life 1.9 TDi
2000 Jetta 4 TDi
1997 Chico 1.3

Previous:
2003 Audi S4
1999 Uno Turbo
1993 Uno Turbo
Doodle
Enlisted
Registered for: 11 years 3 months

Post by Doodle »

Mervin3710 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:31 am
Many thanks Kingnoss, this worked for me after i had removed my radio. My radio beeps every 10 seconds with "CD ERROR", i removed the CD tray but the damn thing still beeps :bang:
Just a tip. I just tried this method and can confirm it works. Thank a million 👍.
XRayA4T
Enlisted
Registered for: 2 years 4 months

Post by XRayA4T »

Neuk wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:09 am
Neuk wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:27 pm

Found it, randomly, but it is from 2010...
g60 golf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:44 am THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CHARGE FOR THE RADIO CODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It says on elsa and one or two other places that it is a free service.
The new cars dont come with codes as the programmed to cluster.

Get me a serial number and phone me ill get u code.
It is the vwz.......................... number on radio.Depending on the radio you can use vag-com and go into radio then rmvb channle 81.
All radios except old velo and beta/gamma or sharan/ford radio or old grundig radios.

If the serial number is a SEZ...................... number you wont get code from VW only from Fixtrade and then it will cost you.
Thanks. I just a secondhand Tiguan 2010 without any service books. Lindsaysaker wanted to charge me R300 and when I mentioned that you guys had said they're not allowed to charge they said I could come i and they'd retrieve it for me at no cost.