2007 VW Polo 1.9 TDi (74 kW) FMIC Upgrade Have Any Merit?

Morné Pieters
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 1 month
Car Make: VW & Mercedes-Benz
Car Model: 07 1.9TDi & 09 C350 CDi

2007 VW Polo 1.9 TDi (74 kW) FMIC Upgrade Have Any Merit?

Post by Morné Pieters »

Hello Everyone

I recently had a turbo failure on my 2007 VW Polo 1.9 TDi (74 kW). I drive the car very responsibly, idle before driving, cool down idle after driving, use correct grade oil change every 15 000 km etc. I use the car to drive to work each day because of the great fuel consumption. Maybe the turbo failure was just bound to happen, no parts are made to last forever I guess, anyway...

I am seriously looking into the FMIC Upgrade to cool down the air with some performance merits but to conserve the life of the turbo by reducing the egt. Is this a good move to invest in? Is it worth the money to reduce the stress on the turbo? Maybe prevent a future failure?

If the answer is indeed yes, I would highly appreciate it I can be advised who to contact, if I should go the DIY route or have it installed. Also what type/model to get and so on as my car is currently stock and I would like to keep it as much as possible that way. I am not much in modding for performance but would like something decent. The only modding I will do is small changes like LED lights for interior and so on :)

I appreciate any feedback and assistance on this.

Regards
2007 White Polo 9N3 1.9 TDi (PD100) - Daily Ride (Odo 306 000 km)
PD160 Intake lPD130 Intake System lEGR Blank lPD130 Turbo lDe-Cat lStraight Flow FMIC (450x230x65 mm) & 50 mm S/S Boost Pipes lWulfchip Software lFK Projector Headlights & 6000K HID lLED Retrofit lCustom LED Footwell Lighting lCustom Leather Interior lGTI Black Interior lCustom Speedo Cluster lCruise Control
M@rk
Captain
Registered for: 12 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 1.9 Tdi Sportline
Membership No: 1776

Re: 2007 VW Polo 1.9 TDi (74 kW) FMIC Upgrade Have Any Merit

Post by M@rk »

Hi Morne

Replace your turbo with the one from the 96kw one its much stronger and will last longer they cost +-R5700 from VW .

Fmic is will redeuce egts and keep the power threw the rev range expect to pay R4500 for a kit
if you want to diy it wil obviosly coat much lesa intercooler are +-R1300 depends on what size, we have used the 550x180x65 and does the job well, but you could also look at the u flow option depends on what you want
Current
BMW E82 135I
Previous
9n3 1.9 Tdi
Ford Focus ST
9n3 1.9Tdi
Morné Pieters
Cadet

Post by Morné Pieters »

Hello Mark

Thank you for the feedback and recommendations. Are you sure the 74 kW and the 96 kW are the same and will fit? I heard from some guys that the manifold connections are not the same. This is hearsay to me as I cannot confirm this, I have not taken it apart and I am not a mechanic by trade. Is the price for a new unit or reconditioned?

The FMIC then looks to me as a wise investment in the long run for my car. FYI, the car has 165 000 km on the clock. I am more looking for a FMIC kit that have the cooler, pipes, clamps etc. already. So DIY is just fitting the cooler I guess. I would be keen to do the whole process DIY as the TIG welding part is no problem for me but sourcing the bends, making the tube connections, cuts and so on might be a problem.

Regards
PD160 Intake lPD130 Intake System lEGR Blank lPD130 Turbo lDe-Cat lStraight Flow FMIC (450x230x65 mm) & 50 mm S/S Boost Pipes lWulfchip Software lFK Projector Headlights & 6000K HID lLED Retrofit lCustom LED Footwell Lighting lCustom Leather Interior lGTI Black Interior lCustom Speedo Cluster lCruise Control
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

The 96kw turbo is a ditect fit Morne, have done this on a couple of Polo's with no hassles. Just be sure to wash all you boostpipes, intercooler and intake pipe
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
dhirennaidoo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Model: 9n Polo Classic TDi (PD100)
Membership No: missing

Post by dhirennaidoo »

Deranged_9n3 wrote:The 96kw turbo is a ditect fit Morne, have done this on a couple of Polo's with no hassles. Just be sure to wash all you boostpipes, intercooler and intake pipe
Maybe the boost piping has changed with the facelift, but on my car it wasn't a 100% direct fit.

The 74kW turbo outlet has the older 'clamp-over' style connection while the 96kW turbo has the newer 'plug-in' type with the wire clip. The exhaust manifold and EGR fitting is a direct fit, yes, but a plan will have to be made with the compressor outlet fitting. I took mine to boost'd as he makes billet adapters for such situations.
'08 350Z
'05 Polo Classic TDi (PD100)

Ex : '12 Mk6 GTi Ed35, '91 Fox 1.8, Honda CBR600F, '09 Honda CBX250 Twister
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

dhirennaidoo wrote:
Deranged_9n3 wrote:The 96kw turbo is a ditect fit Morne, have done this on a couple of Polo's with no hassles. Just be sure to wash all you boostpipes, intercooler and intake pipe
Maybe the boost piping has changed with the facelift, but on my car it wasn't a 100% direct fit.

The 74kW turbo outlet has the older 'clamp-over' style connection while the 96kW turbo has the newer 'plug-in' type with the wire clip. The exhaust manifold and EGR fitting is a direct fit, yes, but a plan will have to be made with the compressor outlet fitting. I took mine to boost'd as he makes billet adapters for such situations.
You are correct bud. Sorry. Failed to mention that the turbo outlet has 1 pipe that needs changing. But manifold, EGR and oil pipes are 100% the same thing
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
Bash Crash
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A3 1.8T

Post by Bash Crash »

M@rk wrote:Hi Morne

Replace your turbo with the one from the 96kw one its much stronger and will last longer they cost +-R5700 from VW .

Fmic is will redeuce egts and keep the power threw the rev range expect to pay R4500 for a kit
if you want to diy it wil obviosly coat much lesa intercooler are +-R1300 depends on what size, we have used the 550x180x65 and does the job well, but you could also look at the u flow option depends on what you want
Hi, sorry to jack this thread...

I had been looking for a 96kw turbo and called vw, they quoted me 35k for the turbo replacement. ..

Perhaps wrong part...?

Which vw can I contact and do you know the part No.?

Thanks
Legion739
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Model: A3 2.0T - K04

Post by Legion739 »

Bash Crash wrote: Perhaps wrong part...?
Yea Wrong part, just phone again and ask for the 1.9 Polo TDI Sportline Turbo, engine code is ASZ

@Morné want to keep EGT's down ? do a DeCat and exhaust
André
Current: --> Audi A3 2.0TFSI - K04
Ex: 1.9 TDI Sportline
Morné Pieters
Cadet

Post by Morné Pieters »

I have been reading all the comments and feedback and just want to say thank you to each and everyone for their time and effort. I have decided on a FMIC kit from eightysix automotive. I have made the payment and just await the kit :)
Legion739
Cadet

Post by Legion739 »

Morné Pieters wrote:I have been reading all the comments and feedback and just want to say thank you to each and everyone for their time and effort. I have decided on a FMIC kit from eightysix automotive. I have made the payment and just await the kit :)
awesome bud, do you still have stock exhaust ? if so definitely do a decat it will bring down EGT's
André
Amith11
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: DUH !!!
Car Model: MK7 GTI
Membership No: 1545

Post by Amith11 »

Also suggest the 96 KW turbo.
The cooler will be a great option.
I would suggest in getting a reputable person in fitting
It really does help allot on any turbo car.
I would also do a decat of i would you.
MK 7 GTi
(Daily)
amith.singh@icloud.com

Lost Loves:
Mk4 Tdi Wagon
MK4 TDi
Mk4 GTI .:R (True Love)
MK3 Cabriolette 2.0l Exec
Mk2 GTI 1.8 8V
Mk1 Caddy
Mk1 GTS (4door)
M@rk
Captain

Post by M@rk »

Morné Pieters wrote:I have been reading all the comments and feedback and just want to say thank you to each and everyone for their time and effort. I have decided on a FMIC kit from eightysix automotive. I have made the payment and just await the kit :)
:hurray:
Current
BMW E82 135I
Previous
9n3 1.9 Tdi
Ford Focus ST
9n3 1.9Tdi
Morné Pieters
Cadet

Post by Morné Pieters »

Legion739
Yes Sir, I indeed still have the stock exhaust. The CAT is to remove the bad stuff from the diesel exhaust correct? Europe requirements for emissions? When removed, does it cause less back pressure on Turbo and then lower EGT's?

Amith 11
Thank you for the turbo feedback sir. I will most likely receive the cooler next week Monday or Tuesday and really look forward to it :). I like challenges, learning new things and to work myself on my car because then I know who to blame if something goes wrong plus I can do things the way I want it and feel good to know I did it myself. and try new things.

With this said, I will install the cooler myself because whenever there is chance to weld I take the chance with both arms :hug:

M@rk
I will post pictures when complete sir :thumbup:
Last edited by Morné Pieters on Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
supervly
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Make: vw
Car Model: Polo 9N TDi Sportline, Jetta V

Post by supervly »

Legion739
Yes Sir, I indeed still have the stock exhaust. The CAT is to remove the bad stuff from the diesel exhaust correct? Europe requirements for emissions? When removed, does it cause less back pressure on Turbo and then lower EGT's?
The exact opposite is true and if your cat is blocked it was probably one of the causes that your turbo failed , these motors thrive more on free flow
Legion739
Cadet

Post by Legion739 »

Morné Pieters wrote:Legion739
Yes cat filters out the bad stuff that comes out your exhaust
CAT = Good for environment, Bad for turbo and EGT's

I put a straight pipe on my Sportline this weekend, sounds amazing !! you can really hear the turbo
André
Hotdubz
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf 7R

Post by Hotdubz »

PD150 or PD160 turbo + software + FMIC + new clutch and you will be smiling.

I had the PD150 turbo with software on my 74kw TDI. The horsepower wasn't the highest but boy did it put the power down nicely and it ran really strong. Check my rides thread and some race tales in the TLGP section. Also checks ruans TDI rides thread.

I miss my TDI. I really hope to own another one sometime down the line.
Morné Pieters
Cadet

Post by Morné Pieters »

And here are some pictures of the FMIC installation as promised. I know the IC is sitting a little lower than I want but I will try and sort that out later, as I do not want to cut into the bumper stiffener supports that bolt to the chassis. I am still comfortable to shave and trim the lip part but the rest makes me start to sweat... I painted the bumper stiffener matt black with red oxide undercoat after welding on square tube pieces with drilled holes to mount the IC to the stiffener. I like a neat look although you cannot see it with the bumper back on but I know it is there :)

P.S. Sometimes working alone is not that great but you do the best you can do although it does take longer than normal.

Hotdubz
Thank you for the suggestion sir but I would like to keep my car as "standard" as possible with only a slight modification here and there (next will be DECAT) to make my car look, feel and drive better then originally designed for. I am not into tuning this car yet as my CDI Benz keeps me smiling :cool:

I use the VW Polo TDi mainly for traveling between home and work each day from Pta to Jhb because of the great fuel consumption. I was the second owner of the car and since I had the car from 74 000 km up to present 167 000 km, I can only say thank you to the previous owner that looked after the car and thank you for the good service the car gave me since I took ownership with little to no problems.

I really do hope you get a good looked after VW Polo TDi sometime in future as these are really great cars with great potential. I do not hope I ever get rid of me car :thumbup:
Last edited by Morné Pieters on Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shivbeanz
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Model: 9n Sportline

Post by Shivbeanz »

Cooler is looking good bud :kewlpics:
Keep us updated on the results!
Quick question- would one have to do some software tricks to account for the bigger intercooler or will the the cars ecu adjust accordingly?
(Oo=o=oO)
dazza
Field Marshal
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW and VW
Car Model: Amarok and Citi Sport
Membership No: 1327

Post by dazza »

Make sure you do a sump service, just to ensure your oil pickup isnot blocked as well
Darryn Van Rooyen
Current: 17 Amarok V6 D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
Current: 1987 Citi Sport 1.6
Current: 91 Citi Sport 1.3
Current: 05 Kawasaki 200KDX, 16 KTM 300 EXC
Previous:
14 Amarok BITDI D/C 4Motion H/L Auto
12' MKVI GTI Manual
2009 Audi TT 2.0TFSI S-Tronic
2008 Honda CBX250 Twister - Crashed!
2011 Amarok BiTDI D/C Highline 4Motion
08 RS MKV GTI DSG
09 ZG Ibiza Cupra TDI
06 CW Sportline
01 Citi 1.4i
01 Yamaha YZ125
99 Toyota Tazz
94 Fox 1.8 Sport
M@rk
Captain

Post by M@rk »

Looks good well done :hurray:
Current
BMW E82 135I
Previous
9n3 1.9 Tdi
Ford Focus ST
9n3 1.9Tdi
Morné Pieters
Cadet

Post by Morné Pieters »

Shivbeanz
Thank you for the compliments sir! Will do and give my feedback on the car and how it drives. Regarding your question, I think I will rather let the more experienced guys answer this one compared to me :wink:

dazza
Thank you for the suggestion sir. I presume I can do this myself? Is there anything specific I should do or look out for?

Mark
Thank you sir! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hotdubz
General
Registered for: 18 years
Car Model: Golf 7R

Post by Hotdubz »

My fuel consumption dropped a lot after bigger turbo and software. Speed limit from PTA to Randburg and the obc used to show around 3.2l/100km ;)

Go bigger turbo if you have the opportunity. It will still be great as a daily.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
carstej
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 2 months
Car Make: 2007 Polo tdi
Car Model: 2007 Polo tdi 74kw

Re: 2007 VW Polo 1.9 TDi (74 kW) FMIC Upgrade Have Any Merit?

Post by carstej »

Hi guys,

Jaco here. Sorry for jumping in late. I also have a 2007 Polo tdi 74kw. I took it to RK Motion for a stage 1 remap. Then I found out from them that my turbo is not so good anymore and needs replacement. Keithan from RK Motion also suggested to upgrade to the 96kw turbo. Apparently a stronger turbo. I saw some comments on from other people on this forum that they also say the 74kw turbo does give problems after a while. This said I have decided to upgrade to the 96kw turbo. Keithan told me what I need and said it will be best buying directly from VW agents. Turbo R8208, Map Sensor R1061 and charge pipe R2890. Now my question is, is there another place I can find these spares for maybe better prices? I tried the guys from Goldwagen but their prices are basically the same.

I don't know if I may say it on this forum, but after the map upgrade my car goes much stronger. I am still on my first tank of diesel, so I cant say what my fuel consumption will be. But I read of guys that gets 20km/l. This I have never seen. 15km/l max. My cat has been taken out 3 years back. What else can be wrong?

Thank you
Jaco
VGTI
Major
Registered for: 18 years 7 months
Car Make: Cheap Ass Porsche
Car Model: 9N Sooter
Membership No: 807

Post by VGTI »

carstej wrote:Hi guys,

Jaco here. Sorry for jumping in late. I also have a 2007 Polo tdi 74kw. I took it to RK Motion for a stage 1 remap. Then I found out from them that my turbo is not so good anymore and needs replacement. Keithan from RK Motion also suggested to upgrade to the 96kw turbo. Apparently a stronger turbo. I saw some comments on from other people on this forum that they also say the 74kw turbo does give problems after a while. This said I have decided to upgrade to the 96kw turbo. Keithan told me what I need and said it will be best buying directly from VW agents. Turbo R8208, Map Sensor R1061 and charge pipe R2890. Now my question is, is there another place I can find these spares for maybe better prices? I tried the guys from Goldwagen but their prices are basically the same.

I don't know if I may say it on this forum, but after the map upgrade my car goes much stronger. I am still on my first tank of diesel, so I cant say what my fuel consumption will be. But I read of guys that gets 20km/l. This I have never seen. 15km/l max. My cat has been taken out 3 years back. What else can be wrong?

Thank you
Jaco
Jaco, what is the milage on the car and what exactly is wrong with the turbo? What does not so good anymore mean?

Consumption does not just depend on the inherent abilities of the car, it is direct proportional to the actions of your right foot... :yawn:

If you take it on a long drive at 100km/h it should cetainly show 4.0l/100km on the OBC easily or even lower, when I managed to get 1661km off one tank the OBC showed 3.1/100 for the tank. Obviously those figures don't come easy and you need a certain kind of demented human being to spawn the patience for doing that. But if you do a lot of long distance driving getting 20km/l should be easy, do 50/50 town/highway you should still get 15km/l quite easily.

My car is now on 343800km still stock standard, original turbo from the factory, still pulls like a train...
'04 Polo TDI 1661.9 km on 58.05l
'13 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2 Elite
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

Keithan knows what he is talking about. Either what till your turbo pops and do the 96kw +fmic or replace when you can. I would wait.

The real question here is where has Morne gone?? Miss the epic guides.