Polo 9n3 TDI Sportline - Serpentine belt - PLEASE HELP!

VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 3 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: E90 LCI 320d M-Sport

Polo 9n3 TDI Sportline - Serpentine belt - PLEASE HELP!

Post by VW 'John Deere' TDI »

Hey guys,

So I'm having a problem with my serpentine belt. I have done searches on the forum and I do have some general information, but my problem is very specific and I'm looking for your opinions on what I should do.

I should probably start the story a few months ago when I start hearing a noise coming from the alternator or somewhere nearby. Not all the time I should add. Only when the aircon was on, or the wheels were turned to full lock. It was an intermittent clicking noise. So anyway, I take the car to VW Greenstone and the mechanic has a quick look. Murphy's law then shows his face, and when the mechanic starts the car the noise in gone. :bang: He turns the steering wheel to full lock with the aircon on and nothing.

Anyway, he says he knows what the problem is and says it's probably the alternator, one of the pulleys or one of the tensioners. He said I should book the car for repairs when I hear the noise again. So I few months go by without hearing the noise, until recently when it started again.

So on Sunday morning at about 08:30 I start the car to go out shopping. As soon as I start to reverse out my parking bay I hear the noise again but much worse this time. So I stop reversing, and roll forward back into my parking bay. I open the bonnet to see what's going on and I can see the serpentine belt running a little skew on the pulleys. This is what was causing the noise. So I decide to turn off the engine. Once the engine was turned off I go back to look at the situation, and I see the belt has stopped in a misaligned position. Half on the alternator pulley and half off the side. The belt then starts to slowly tear where the outside of the pulley is sitting in one of the belt ridges. It tears almost all the way around the pulley.

Here is a pic of what it currently looks like:

Now my questions are:

1. What are the possible causes for the belt running skew and becoming damaged? Is it a collapsed bearing, tensioner worn/broken, pulley giving in, etc, etc. I know it's only a best guess without looking at the car, but maybe you guys have had a similar problem, and can lead me in the right direction before VW change every single part and I land up paying a fortune.

2. Should I DIY or send it into VW? I have never worked in this area of a car before, so I have limited knowledge and would need a detailed DIY from someone.

3. If I send it to VW should I drive the car there or get it towed? I have heard you can drive without this belt and my house is about 3km from VW Greenstone.

4. If I get it towed how much am I looking at in terms of costs?

Your help would be highly appreciated guys. :hug:
Current: BMW 320d E90 LCi M-Sport - Yin & Yang
Ex: VW Polo 9n3 1.9TDI Sportline - John Deere

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
LoW n SloW
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 5 months

Re: Polo 9n3 TDI Sportline - Serpentine belt - PLEASE HELP!

Post by LoW n SloW »

the clutch pulley on the alty has done its time, i think your bill will be around 4k if you go to vw, its easy to change the damn thing uses a special socket and very few people have it, try and see if a mech near you has one, dont leave it for too long as it damages the tensioner after a while
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

LoW n SloW wrote:the clutch pulley on the alty has done its time, i think your bill will be around 4k if you go to vw, its easy to change the damn thing uses a special socket and very few people have it, try and see if a mech near you has one, dont leave it for too long as it damages the tensioner after a while
So what you are saying is I have to get a new alternator clutch pulley, a new belt and the special socket?

Thanks for your input. Will look into this...

"As I lay rubber down the street, I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide, then please dear God protect my ride."
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

28 views and only one reply. :cry:

Is there nobody who can help me? I really need to get this sorted...

MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

I have changed mine before....twice.

Fitted a GW cheaper brand that only lasted 1 year, so refitted a better quality one.

You need to remove the top boost pipe to make life much easier. To get the belt off you will need a spanner that fits on the pulley (do not remember the size, could be 10 or 13) and you need to pull the pulley towards you. Try and remember the position of the belt. Someone can help refit the belt one another holds the pulley spring back. I did it alone, but not advisable. Careful as the spring is strong.

Pulley is a simple bolt on the other side (under the alternator) to remove.
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

^^^^ :hurray:

Thanks Marco for the help. :hug:

I'll only be able to do this myself on the weekend, as I'm working late this whole week and won't get around to it.

- Do you think it will be ok standing like that until the weekend or should I just send it to VW?
- If I send it to VW will it be ok if I cut the belt and drive it there, or should I get it towed?
- If I DIY what parts should I replace besides the belt?

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

- Do you think it will be ok standing like that until the weekend or should I just send it to VW? - Sorry, standing is fine to leave until the weekend
- If I send it to VW will it be ok if I cut the belt and drive it there, or should I get it towed? - No! Change on the spot or tow.
- If I DIY what parts should I replace besides the belt? - External V belt and pulley
Marco

VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

MeanTdi wrote:- Do you think it will be ok standing like that until the weekend or should I just send it to VW? - No! Change ASAP!
- If I send it to VW will it be ok if I cut the belt and drive it there, or should I get it towed? - No! Change on the spot or tow.
- If I DIY what parts should I replace besides the belt? - External V belt and pulley
Thanks bud. Will do.

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Sorry,

- Do you think it will be ok standing like that until the weekend or should I just send it to VW? - Sorry, standing is fine to leave until the weekend
Marco

VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

MeanTdi wrote:Sorry,

That is good news. Then I can DIY on weekend and save myself a whole lot of money. :hurray:

Thanks again for your help Marco! :hi:

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Post by LoW n SloW »

hey bud by looking at the pic above seems to me that your tensioner is now bent meaning the belt tensioner is no longer directly aligned with the other pulleys as you can see your belt has jumped 1 groove and is sommer running towards the right (proof of misalignment) so the tensioner is also tired..

and what could cause that is when the clutch pulley from the alternator (which causes the noise aswell when the aircon is on) is also failing
its easy to change the belt and carry on (all you need is a 16 spanner for undoing tension and another spanner to help lever the working spanner), but trust me 2 days later of driving you will be back at square 1

my suggestion is get
1. the tensioner, GW one is ok
2. the belt also GW
3. the alty pulley i suggest get the original part (and uses a special tool to change)

lekke
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

LoW n SloW wrote:hey bud by looking at the pic above seems to me that your tensioner is now bent meaning the belt tensioner is no longer directly aligned with the other pulleys as you can see your belt has jumped 1 groove and is sommer running towards the right (proof of misalignment) so the tensioner is also tired..

and what could cause that is when the clutch pulley from the alternator (which causes the noise aswell when the aircon is on) is also failing
its easy to change the belt and carry on (all you need is a 16 spanner for undoing tension and another spanner to help lever the working spanner), but trust me 2 days later of driving you will be back at square 1

my suggestion is get
1. the tensioner, GW one is ok
2. the belt also GW
3. the alty pulley i suggest get the original part (and uses a special tool to change)

lekke
Thanks for your help and input bud...

I managed to get all the above needed parts from GW, and with the little time I had this weekend I managed to at least strip most of the parts out.

The tensioner I got from GW looks a little different to the current one, and I'm worried it's wrong and won't work. I haven't tried it yet as I ran out of time, but what do you think? See below pics:

First pic is the existing tensioner without the wheel (while still installed) and the second pic is of the existing tensioner wheel vs the new tensioner I got from GW.

I will be getting the special tool for the alternator pulley today, and will be carrying out the rest of the work tomorrow afternoon as I will be taking a half day's leave.

So I have 2 questions for tomorrow's work.

1. Will the new tensioner work or should I take it back to GW?
2. I didn't have a good look but how do I remove the current tensioner? I only had a quick look and couldn't quite figure it out.

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

1. Will the new tensioner work or should I take it back to GW? - Not sure, I used a VW one. Looks similar to mine with the plastic wheel.

2. I didn't have a good look but how do I remove the current tensioner? I only had a quick look and couldn't quite figure it out. - The bolt is on the oil dipstick side of the engine. 1 bolt only.
Marco

VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

MeanTdi wrote:1. Will the new tensioner work or should I take it back to GW? - Not sure, I used a VW one. Looks similar to mine with the plastic wheel. Well on the box of the new one it does say it is a genuine WAG part, so maybe my current one isn't an OEM part. :crazy:

2. I didn't have a good look but how do I remove the current tensioner? I only had a quick look and couldn't quite figure it out. - The bolt is on the oil dipstick side of the engine. 1 bolt only. Thanks I didn't check there. :oops:

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Post by LoW n SloW »

it will work
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

Hey guys,

So I finally managed to get the alternator pulley off once I got hold of the special tool. Seems like the clutch bearing was the problem. So I replaced it with the new pulley. :hurray:

Just a quick question on the tensioner. I have installed it, and now I just wanted to check with you guys. Once it is in position I have to pull the pin to release the spring, correct? The pin I am speaking of is in the picture above.

And thanks for the help guys! :hi: You guys have been awesome! :hug:

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Post by LoW n SloW »

...told ya, and yes release it slowly while holding it with the spanner to prevent unnecessary damage
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

VW 'John Deere' TDI wrote:.. Once it is in position I have to pull the pin to release the spring, correct? The pin I am speaking of is in the picture above.
Yes, careful, it is spring loaded!
LoW n SloW wrote:...told ya, and yes release it slowly while holding it with the spanner to prevent unnecessary damage
Marco

VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

Cool...

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Post by LoW n SloW »

glad you came right, that noise you get from that pulley sounds scary and where did you get the socket that fits the pulley?
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

LoW n SloW wrote:glad you came right, that noise you get from that pulley sounds scary and where did you get the socket that fits the pulley?
Yeah, the noise was worrying when I first heard it.

Well all the places I tried to phone about the tool, wouldn't borrow it to me. They all said that they would change the pulley for me, but they wanted to charge me labour. So I told them to get lost. I'm actually in construction, and our company's plant/vehicle repair/service workshop did it for me when they had some free time.

Edit to add: Now that my vehicle is running again, I see the clock on the OBD has reset because I disconnected the battery when removing/installing the alternator. Any idea how to set the clock to the correct time? I'll do a search now, just thought I'd try my luck.

dhirennaidoo
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 9n Polo Classic TDi (PD100)
Membership No: missing

Post by dhirennaidoo »

The button on the cluster that you push to reset the trip meter : rotate it to the left (you'll feel a click) for hours and right for minutes. Also, RTFM :)
'08 350Z
'05 Polo Classic TDi (PD100)

Ex : '12 Mk6 GTi Ed35, '91 Fox 1.8, Honda CBR600F, '09 Honda CBX250 Twister
VW 'John Deere' TDI
Captain

dhirennaidoo wrote:The button on the cluster that you push to reset the trip meter : rotate it to the left (you'll feel a click) for hours and right for minutes. Also, RTFM :)
:lol:

:hug:

Thanks.

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Post by LoW n SloW »

yoh good info that
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)