Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Re: Flashing glow plug with Check Engine light

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

Direct injection diesel engines only needs the glow plugs when temps are below say like 9 degrees for easier starting, but it will still start if the glow plugs failed.
Indirect injection diesel engines needs the glow plugs to start when the engine is cold. Some will not start when it is cold while other indirect diesel engines will struggle to start when the glow plugs are dead.
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
chucker02
Captain
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Citi ADY

Post by chucker02 »

DarkRanger wrote:
chucker02 wrote:Maybe the vw tdis but the jeep diesels struggle to start with non working glow plugs
Jeeps struggle to start with working glow plugs too.
:lol: cant argue with that
Current:

2006 Citi Golf 2E, Dictator, 4-2-1

Ex:
2003 Audi A3 1.8t, Thanas Tuned, FMIC, coilies, DP and exhaust
2007 Citi golf. ADY with Spitronics 60-2, estas 282, 4-2-1, coilies
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=183329
2002 Citi golf. ADY carb, estas 282, 4-2-1, GW delarey big brake kit.
Rides thread: http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=157603
1971 VW beetle
MK2 G60
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: vw
Membership No: 388

Post by MK2 G60 »

Depends on the error code depends on what comes on. It also diff from plarform to plat form.
Polo tdi 9n will throw the coil light for brake lights even for two blown globes. G40 is also one.
Get it replaced it will come up again.
G60 16V GOLF

WHAT WE LEAVE BEHIND IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW WE LIVED.

IT IS NOT UNSAFE IT IS OLD SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

ALDO IS THE MAN WITH A GUN.
THATS HOW WE ROLL [SAINT-J]
GTS KNOWS HOW TO MAKE A STICKER.
cpureaper
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by cpureaper »

Hi Guys to to clear something up for you guys about the warning lights.
Engine light
- Faults which affect exhaust emission quality
are indicated by the self-diagnosis fault
warning lamp (MIL). These faults are
recorded during the course of the OBD-II
diagnosis.
Glow plug Light
- Faults which affect handling performance and
driving safety are indicated by flashing of the
glow period warning lamp.

Lastly the brake light switch has two contacts(four pins) one for the brake lights and the other to tell the engine control unit that the brakes are pressed. This one is also why your cruise control is not working but your brake lights are.

Andy
GregMarkwell
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 9 months

Post by GregMarkwell »

2013 Amarok Bi TDI - highline

Encountered this same issue last night and was hoping for some information.

Vehicle has been and still is running perfectly. Noticed the Coil light flashing on the way home, it then went off completely only to return to flashing once again.

I parked the vehicle for about an hour, restarted it and saw the same coil light flashing but this time the Engine Emission light was on and glowing steady.

took the vehicle for a quick spin and nothing changed.

any ideas or advice ?
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Read the owners manual for DPF regen. Do that and if it still comes back get it scanned for errors and see what it is complaining about.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Jabz
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 8 months

Post by Jabz »

I have a Golf Mk VI 2009 TDi and I am experiencing a similar problem. Engine system management fault warning light blinks on while driving, and I lose power when trying to accelerate away, especially on a hill climb. This went on for about a week. Yesterday morning, in the cold, the car wouldn't start. It turns over, lights and everything else turns on, just won't start. Tried to jump it, and the engine let out a small puff of white smoke whilst connected to the jumpers.

Got it towed to Wackers in Paarden Eiland...they recommended an "ECU Reprogramme and Software Upgrade" to fix the issue...R10 000!? Of course my initial response was there's no way it's a software issue - probably a faulty earth somewhere on the car. I'm kind of stuck in using them as VW Barons are asking for R3250 just to have the car towed to them and evaluated.

Update: I just called Wackers and they confirmed the engine starts, but they need another 2 days to complete the software update- should I trust Wackers?
g60 golf wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 pm Dissconnect the glow plugs the car will start in our temps. They correct it will only work below 9deg.
We get the tdis in with high milage and non functioning glow plugs customers dont even know it.

The tdi with non working ccs when lights are on. Check the brake light globes msybe you have a single contact globe in were a double should be so it back feeds into the brake circuitmakeing the ecu thinck u pressing brakes.
Polo came with the ywomdiff tail loghts one is double while other is single.
I do have a loose back right bulb - for some reason the plastic cover pops out if you slam the boot too hard. Perhaps this is what triggering the flashing fault light?