Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Re: Polo TDi Central locking issue

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Mine does the following once in a blue moon. all is fine when I get in and when I take off it'll lock and then at some stage it'll lock and unlock like crazy for a few minutes and then its done. Oh and it does that even when stationary so I dont have to be going over 20km/h.
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
G-spot
Committee Member
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Audi S3 Sedan
Membership No: 1215

Post by G-spot »

veedubbed wrote:I think we should maybe pursue a recall with VW - I'm not going to spend 4k to get a new lock. Maybe they can get a cheaper alternative - just replacing the switch or the shitty wiring?
I doubt they will run a recall on 7-8 year old cars. It would be awesome though

I read through the procedure and stripping the whole door to get to the lock really seems like a lot of work for not such a big issue.
Grant Hendry
Membership no.:1215

Current:
2016 Audi S3 Sedan
1978 VW Golf 1100 GL
Ex:
2012 VW Golf GTI Edition 35
2007 VW Golf GTI
2006 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
2012 VW Polo GTI
cpureaper
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 5 months

Post by cpureaper »

This is a comman VW problem! 90% its the door lock. Problem is the micro switch everyone is refering too is not the one on the outside of the door lock. There are three micro switches, one on the outside of the door lock ( but still sttached to the lock when u remove the lock from the door.This is the switch which tells the conviance control unit the doors are closed.{The one that if broken will not show an indicator on the dashi.e the little car with door}) The other two are inside the lock and are the cause of your problem. I have not found a replacement for the switches inside the lock. I have replaced hundereds on the outside superglue or hot glue gun works hundreds.
Andy
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

cpureaper wrote:This is a comman VW problem! 90% its the door lock. Problem is the micro switch everyone is refering too is not the one on the outside of the door lock. There are three micro switches, one on the outside of the door lock ( but still sttached to the lock when u remove the lock from the door.This is the switch which tells the conviance control unit the doors are closed.{The one that if broken will not show an indicator on the dashi.e the little car with door}) The other two are inside the lock and are the cause of your problem. I have not found a replacement for the switches inside the lock. I have replaced hundereds on the outside superglue or hot glue gun works hundreds.
Andy
Wow, thanks for sharing!
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
BHTDI
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 8 months
Car Model: 07 POLO TDI Sportline

Post by BHTDI »

Mine has the exact same issue :twisted: lock doors and the left door locks then unlocks. Then i just get befok bok and push it down myself :mad:
Ramster
Knob of the Day
Registered for: 15 years 2 months

Post by Ramster »

Lol..
Same same on my side..part of my driving routine already.
Polo TD 151kw 525nm
14.7 1/4mile 158kph
STO TUNED
parev
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by parev »

my friend had the problem of the door locking and unlocking on its own so we replaced the door lock and that fixed the problem but now the door wont open at all, anyone know how to open the passenger door with out breaking it? wont open from the inside or outside
marcov
Enlisted
Registered for: 9 years 7 months

Post by marcov »

I just got me the 9N3 Sportline and im having the same issue! :mad: I spoke to a friend that had the same issue and he said he just sprayed a lot of Q20 down the switch and it has been working ever since... Is this safe?
BIGMIG
Porra Love
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Model: 9N3 GTB22/60vk Sportline
Membership No: 1574

Post by BIGMIG »

Yip mine also started doing it but has stopped since it has been cold. There is a youtube vid of a UK guy that explaines how to change out the micro switch on a Jetta if I recall the model but did carry on saying that it is a very common problem on VW's. The switch just lets the contol unit know that the door is in a locked state. It gets filled up with gunk over time and does not work correctly. There are two fixes for this, both involve removing the door card and getting the mechanism out and separating the mechanical and electrical halfs. The first fix is the cheapest were by you clean the micro switch with an electrical cleaner spray (not a guaranteed fix and the problem could come back quickly). The second is also cheap where by you just buy a new micro switch and replace the old one.

I personally want to do the second option but really dont want to tackle opening the mechanism.
My NoPiel assassin

Goose, soot ninja
Chuck_Norris
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 9 months
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDI
Membership No: missing

Post by Chuck_Norris »

BIGMIG wrote:Yip mine also started doing it but has stopped since it has been cold. There is a youtube vid of a UK guy that explaines how to change out the micro switch on a Jetta if I recall the model but did carry on saying that it is a very common problem on VW's. The switch just lets the contol unit know that the door is in a locked state. It gets filled up with gunk over time and does not work correctly. There are two fixes for this, both involve removing the door card and getting the mechanism out and separating the mechanical and electrical halfs. The first fix is the cheapest were by you clean the micro switch with an electrical cleaner spray (not a guaranteed fix and the problem could come back quickly). The second is also cheap where by you just buy a new micro switch and replace the old one.

I personally want to do the second option but really dont want to tackle opening the mechanism.
Me to, I see I have another door that is starting to do it. Maybe we must organize a event for this and get everything sorted.
Legion739
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A3 2.0T - K04

Post by Legion739 »

BHTDI wrote:Mine has the exact same issue :twisted: lock doors and the left door locks then unlocks. Then i just get befok bok and push it down myself :mad:
I know your pain !!
André
Current: --> Audi A3 2.0TFSI - K04
Ex: 1.9 TDI Sportline
Legion739
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 4 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A3 2.0T - K04

Post by Legion739 »

Had mine fixed yesterday @ autohausangel.co.za
They said it was the circuit board in the door or something.

It's kinda weird not hearing the door lock and then unlock...
André
Current: --> Audi A3 2.0TFSI - K04
Ex: 1.9 TDI Sportline
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

Legion739 wrote:Had mine fixed yesterday @ autohausangel.co.za
They said it was the circuit board in the door or something.

It's kinda weird not hearing the door lock and then unlock...
Seeing that many have the same / similar problems, getting and giving them more detail on the actual fix, cost and so on would be great...... :hurray:

ps: edit to add, started happening on my brothers CrossPolo, drive off and it locks and then unlocks. When car is parked it locks fine. Will see what we do to rectify.....
Caddyon
Major
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Polo 9N3 1.9Tdi Sportline
Membership No: 2025

Post by Caddyon »

Might be something to note for the future :smile:
Tyrone - SR Tuned - http://www.facebook.com/srtuned
Current 06 9N3 Sportline - 1.9 BIG TURBO TDi SRTuned / Profiturbo.com
Power Figures 221wkw and 569wnm
Dezzi Drags = Boost + Diesel, no gas : 12.5
Current 2010 KTM 200 XC-W
Ex=Vw MkI Citi
Ex=Ford Ranger 2500Tdi 4x4 Supercab
Ex=Vw Caddyon 2.0 8v
Ex=2001 Vw Jetta 4 v5
Ex=2000 Opel Corsa GSI
Ex=1967 Ford Anglia 1600 Sport
Ex=1999 Opel Corsa Ute Chin Scraper
Shivbeanz
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Model: 9n Sportline

Post by Shivbeanz »

Hi, Don't know if you guys managed to sort out the problem, but my 9n polo was doing the same thing and it drove me crazy. But I noticed it all worked fine when I left the car in the sun for a while. Then I came across this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7i4HmJqBOM and they say that the solder on the PCB cracks with time(although I didnt see any visible cracks on mine), so I opened up my door, got the lock out and touched up the solder on the connection pins, and everything works fine to this day (touch wood). There's quite a few threads on other forums about cracked solder in the lock mechanism.
Hope this helps, nice sunday morning DIY job if you have the time. :hurray:
(Oo=o=oO)
johann louw
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 1 month
Car Make: vw
Car Model: 1.9 tdi

Post by johann louw »

G-spot wrote:
crawler wrote:to open that door up is a b**ch, but need to do mine soon

*touch wood - since the warmer weather mine locks fine
Mine locks and unlocks fine, Its just the interior light and alarm issue that bugs me. Because thats the door I use when I strap the little one in, And midway through the whole strapping in process the car locks itself and the alarm goes off.

Hi. yes i'm having the same problem. Unlock the car and while sitting on the seat with the key in the ignition or otherwise holding it in my hand the while the door is still open the car will suddenly lock itself and the alarm activates.
Mlungupokl
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Model: Mk4 TDi

Post by Mlungupokl »

I actually have to tackle this repair myself, I found this excellent thread explaining the whole mission:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461

jk wrote:Mines just locks and then unlocks itself when I drive over 20kmph.
Then does the same every time I stop and go from 0 - 20kmph again.
I've had the same issue. I'm not certain if it's a permanent fix, but its been working for months.
Release this cable, wait a bit and reinstall. The locks will go haywire and then "reset"

Mr Jeremy M

Post by Mr Jeremy M »

:bang: I'm having the exact same problem with my polo tdi. It looks like a common problem. Passenger door locks and then opens itself.
billionairebum
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 2 months
Car Model: Sportline
Membership No: 3194

Post by billionairebum »

Exactly the same here.