Major
Registered for: 12 years
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Fiesta ST180
Membership No: 1835

Poked Alternator?

Post by B_rad »

Howzit guys.

So recently my battery light on the dashboard has started showing when I start the car, accompanied by a clicking sound. The light then goes away and doesn't come back. I checked the manual and the code says to check the alternator.

I have also recently noticed that when I start the car and drive it, there is a whining noise that builds when I accelerate. I assume that is alternator? Seems only to do it when the car is cold and particularly when reversing out my drive which has a steep incline.

I searched last night but I am clueless when it comes to alternators and also the problems the other guys listed don't really seem the same as mine. So I was wondering what the solution to this would be? Bearing? Or the belt? I am due for a 180 000km service soon so all the belts will be replaced. What else can I look into? If I know what the problem might be I know where to start...

To add, there IS a clicking sound from the engine bay but that goes away when I push the clutch in, so I believe that is unrelated, and the light does NOT flash at high rpm, as I found from the other threads I read up on.

Cheers
joggiep
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 20 years 3 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Amarok V6
Membership No: 664

Re: Poked Alternator?

Post by joggiep »

Sounds like altenator my friend.. time for a new one.
Joggie Pretorius
---------------------------------------
EX - CARS
Jetta CSX 1.8 8v
Golf CTi 1.8 8v
Polo 1.6 lux
SEAT Ibiza Sport
VW Polo 2.0 Highline
BMW E90 320D
VW Caddy 2.0 8V
Nissan X-trail 2.0 dCi
VW Jetta 2.0 16V Turbo
VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
BMW 335
Suzuki SV1000S (125hp - 109NM)
Audi RSQ3
CURRENT CARS
VW Amarok V6 Exstream
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

Thanks bud. Im pretty sure thats the issue as well, but can i not recon or service it?
SHAUN
Post Whore
Registered for: 19 years 8 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 335i
Membership No: 1148

Post by SHAUN »

BradTDI wrote:Thanks bud. Im pretty sure thats the issue as well, but can i not recon or service it?
It can. but sometimes works out just a little bit more for a brand new one. Give GW delarey a call for a price on new one and then compare to repair quotes.
2006 E92 335i * Monica
2001 Audi S3 Quattro * Suzie-Q
1999 Jetta 3 20vt 181kw 390nm * Jet-Li
2006 Caddy 1.6 low and slow * Tossa-Caddy
2001 Polo classic 16v ABF Featured * BLUEmotion
1988 Bmw E30 2.9L - Written off
1991 MKII GTI - Sold
1989 MKII CSL - Sold
Saiendra wrote: I cannot argue with you, you bought a BMW out of motorplan...
You clearly have more balls than me.
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

SHAUN wrote:
BradTDI wrote:Thanks bud. Im pretty sure thats the issue as well, but can i not recon or service it?
It can. but sometimes works out just a little bit more for a brand new one. Give GW delarey a call for a price on new one and then compare to repair quotes.
Cool thanks, I will do that quick. Holding thumbs its not too rough!
RPGTI
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '13 PGTI DSG
Membership No: missing

Post by RPGTI »

It can be the pulley on the alternator as well, worth checking that before you get a new alternator, with the belt off put a small screw driver in the alternator fins to stop the alternator internals from turning and turn the pulley if the pulley turns both clockwise and anticlockwise the pulley is buggered, if it only turns 1 way it is fine and the alternator/alternator connections are buggered, before you just replace it check all the terminals and wires if they fine then the alternator is buggered.
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

RPGTI wrote:It can be the pulley on the alternator as well, worth checking that before you get a new alternator, with the belt off put a small screw driver in the alternator fins to stop the alternator internals from turning and turn the pulley if the pulley turns both clockwise and anticlockwise the pulley is buggered, if it only turns 1 way it is fine and the alternator/alternator connections are buggered, before you just replace it check all the terminals and wires if they fine then the alternator is buggered.
+ 1
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

RPGTI wrote:It can be the pulley on the alternator as well, worth checking that before you get a new alternator, with the belt off put a small screw driver in the alternator fins to stop the alternator internals from turning and turn the pulley if the pulley turns both clockwise and anticlockwise the pulley is buggered, if it only turns 1 way it is fine and the alternator/alternator connections are buggered, before you just replace it check all the terminals and wires if they fine then the alternator is buggered.
Shot bud. I read this on your post for one of the other guys! I will try this and see what's potting. Just wasn't sure if it was the belt as my problem didn't sound the same as the other guys' problems. But thanks man, I will get on that quick.
RPGTI
Cadet

Post by RPGTI »

One thing ive learnt no 2 cars have the exact same symptoms haha try the least expensive fixes first if they dont solve it then move on to replacing parts.With those pulleys ive read people get a grinding noise while idling, some say they never heard anything at all its all down to the person how well they notice the changes in their car.
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI
B_rad
Major

Post by B_rad »

RPGTI wrote:One thing ive learnt no 2 cars have the exact same symptoms haha try the least expensive fixes first if they dont solve it then move on to replacing parts.With those pulleys ive read people get a grinding noise while idling, some say they never heard anything at all its all down to the person how well they notice the changes in their car.
It's funny you mention the grinding sound... I have a shuddering noise when the car is idling but that disappears when I push the clutch in. I thought that might be DMF though?
This light is also intermittent, naturally when I wanted to show someone what the problem was, the light didn't come on. I will keep an eye on it and if it persists I will have someone check it out. I have no clue how to get the belt off, the bay on these TDI's is seriously tight...
RPGTI
Cadet

Post by RPGTI »

You will have to loosen the tensioner that holds tension on the alt belt then you will be able to take it off, not sure what the tensioner on the TDI's look like but they should have a tab on it that you can use a spanner (mine is a 16) and then you can push or pull the tab and release tension enough to slip the belt off, then you can check the alternator.With the clutch Im not the best person to ask as far as I know they do make some noise and slight vibration could be wrong though.
'13 Flash Red Polo GTI
Ex.
'08 Flash Red Polo GTI