Major-General
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: CrossPolo 1.6TDI
Membership No: 1515

Disadvantages of a bigger intercooler

Post by Bird87_ZA »

So the bug has bitten. Fek me right?

I want to get a bigger intercooler. Been looking at this one. It's as wide as the current IC, a bit taller and a bit deeper. It should be plug and play.

However, what are the disadvantages? I'm hearing turbo lag and so forth, but surely it should be so little that I shouldn't notice it? On the 9n3 I did not notice it at all...

Any help?
2001 Bantam 1.6 Lesuire - RIP
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline - SOLD
2007 Polo 1.9 TDI Highline - STOLEN
2011 Polo 1.6 TDI Cross - SOLD
2014 Golf 7 SV 1.2TSI
Neuk wrote:A pole, doth not a lie tell...

Web Developer by day, Couch Potato by night.
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Re: Disadvantages of a bigger intercooler

Post by Sinbad »

There are no disadvantages.

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
ruan9n
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 8 months
Car Model: Scirocco 2.0TSI dsg
Membership No: 1343

Post by ruan9n »

None. Like a medium rare rump steak it can only be good for you.
Candy white Scirocco 2.0TSI DSG StormtrooperXL 195kw 456nm @ stealth
Revo stage 2, Revo 76mm dp, Revo throttle pipe, APR 1&2 Carbonio intake, Neuspeed hiflow discharge pipe, H&R springs, 19" RS3 wheels, R8 coils, Iridiums, BSH dogbone insert, TTRS lca's, R interior.

Ex: Golf 6 GTI aka "pepper" 252hp 420nm
Ex: Golf 5 GTI aka "stormtrooper" 190kw 390nm
Ex: 9n Polo TDI sportline "The cupra polo" 125kw 430nm
Ex: Some other polos
PoLonY
Gimme sausage. The thicker the better!
Registered for: 14 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A8
Membership No: 1997

Post by PoLonY »

as per Sinbad and Ruan
Crawler
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 18 years 10 months
Car Model: 9N3 Polo TDi
Membership No: 1358

Post by Crawler »

Jy het ene gehad, jy ken hom!
EX:
CW Polo TDi Sportline
| Cross Polo wheels | LED Numberplate - Interior - Park light | NeVaG & Maldino | Dimsport |
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

DarkRanger wrote:So the bug has bitten. Fek me right?

I want to get a bigger intercooler. Been looking at this one. It's as wide as the current IC, a bit taller and a bit deeper. It should be plug and play.

However, what are the disadvantages? I'm hearing turbo lag and so forth, but surely it should be so little that I shouldn't notice it? On the 9n3 I did not notice it at all...

Any help?
Please ask the person that told you this to provide the following...

1. Definition of turbo lag
2. How a larger intercooler afffects turbo lag

Kthnxbyebyenow :grin:
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
Bird87_ZA
Major-General
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: CrossPolo 1.6TDI
Membership No: 1515

Post by Bird87_ZA »

I have sent him the link...
2001 Bantam 1.6 Lesuire - RIP
2007 Polo 1.6 Comfortline - SOLD
2007 Polo 1.9 TDI Highline - STOLEN
2011 Polo 1.6 TDI Cross - SOLD
2014 Golf 7 SV 1.2TSI
Neuk wrote:A pole, doth not a lie tell...

Web Developer by day, Couch Potato by night.
PoLonY

Post by PoLonY »

DarkRanger wrote:I have sent him the link...
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

PoLonY wrote:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Vinnige Fanie
Lazy Poes
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Polo Gti
Membership No: 1720

Post by Vinnige Fanie »

It weighs more :grin:
joggiep
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 20 years 3 months
Car Model: Amarok V6
Membership No: 664

Post by joggiep »

By the time a bigger intercooler creates real boost lag issues you would have created so mutch drag and would have added so mutch weight that the exstra power is worthless...

Something like this comes to mind.
Joggie Pretorius
---------------------------------------
EX - CARS
Jetta CSX 1.8 8v
Golf CTi 1.8 8v
Polo 1.6 lux
SEAT Ibiza Sport
VW Polo 2.0 Highline
BMW E90 320D
VW Caddy 2.0 8V
Nissan X-trail 2.0 dCi
VW Jetta 2.0 16V Turbo
VW Polo 1.6 Comfortline
BMW 335
Suzuki SV1000S (125hp - 109NM)
Audi RSQ3
CURRENT CARS
VW Amarok V6 Exstream
PoLonY

Post by PoLonY »

Neuk wrote:
PoLonY wrote:
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

Cons:
More chance of a boost leak.
Need to make up your own fitting for the MAF.

Well that is what is stopping me.
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Impi
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Impi »

Hi
The disadvantage of running a larger intercooler is that you have to pressurise a larger volume of space thus needing more compressed air this in turn will make the effects of turbo lag more noticable as it take longer for this too happen. Obviously if there is more cooling of the charge and you get a cooler dense charge you might get a llitle more air into the engine which on its own could net a fraction more power (the biggest plus here is a cooler running engine and possibly more engine life - Trade off is that you might cool down to such an extent that your exhaust gasses are too cool to work the turbo efficeintly which then costs power. I am talking extremes here though) Reason why this is not so noticable on std turbo cars is that the turbos are generally on the small side and starts to boost relatively low on the rev range thus keeping some pressure in the system at all times thus making it easier to fit a larger intercooler with little or no feelable effect. But go large turbo and large intercooler and the difference can be felt and seen in acc times. If the rest of the car is std I doubt if the change to a larger intercooler will make much of a difference. If you plan on upgrading the rest the its as good a place to start as any.
Armand
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

Impi wrote:Hi
The disadvantage of running a larger intercooler is that you have to pressurise a larger volume of space thus needing more compressed air this in turn will make the effects of turbo lag more noticable as it take longer for this too happen. Obviously if there is more cooling of the charge and you get a cooler dense charge you might get a llitle more air into the engine which on its own could net a fraction more power (the biggest plus here is a cooler running engine and possibly more engine life - Trade off is that you might cool down to such an extent that your exhaust gasses are too cool to work the turbo efficeintly which then costs power. I am talking extremes here though) Reason why this is not so noticable on std turbo cars is that the turbos are generally on the small side and starts to boost relatively low on the rev range thus keeping some pressure in the system at all times thus making it easier to fit a larger intercooler with little or no feelable effect. But go large turbo and large intercooler and the difference can be felt and seen in acc times. If the rest of the car is std I doubt if the change to a larger intercooler will make much of a difference. If you plan on upgrading the rest the its as good a place to start as any.
Armand
Pressure increase travels at the speed of sound. The intercooler isn't a balloon you need to blow up before the engine sees extra pressure.

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Armand
nice explanation bud. :hug:
Thupercharged S4
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Sinbad wrote:
Armand
b%&*%$*t.
Pressure increase travels at the speed of sound. The intercooler isn't a balloon you need to blow up before the engine sees extra pressure.
the amount of lag generated is 0000.2% you would need to be awesome to feel the lag :evil:
Thupercharged S4
PoLonY

Post by PoLonY »

Sinbad wrote:
Armand
b%&*%$*t.
told you dis gon b gud
Stompie
Boostleak Guru
Registered for: 12 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2006 120D
Membership No: 1843

Post by Stompie »

OMG,

If mr panic sees this he will **** him self!

:lol:

i went from the stock to a moerse cooler and didnt notice any difference in how the car boosts, still starts boosting at the same RPM.

BMW 120D E87
Ex: 07' Polo GTI 1.8T Rides Thread Here
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Sinbad wrote:
Armand
b%&*%$*t.
Coupled with the fact that intake temperatures have nothing to do with EGT...
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Impi
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 1 month

Post by Impi »

Sorry for being called a bull shitter. As a sort of veteran in engine building for the past 25 years and having turbocharged a few non turbo engines I am entitled to somewhat of an opinion. If you would take the time to read my post I warned about extremes and in the Op's post I felt that it would be of little consequence. Try filling a truck tyre with a bicycle pump and then tell me again this story about "speed of sound" However with small turbos boosting almost all the time it does mask the problem which is what I saidRegards and have a nice day
Armand
Psycho8v
Lieutenant-General
Car Make: Vw
Car Model: Citi Golf
Membership No: 1881

Post by Psycho8v »

But this is where I get confused. I am a complete noob with turbocharging, so please don't go too hard on me. The intercooler is already full of air, right? You're just moving it around and compressing it. A truck tyre has no air in to start with, so you first need to get the air in, and then still compress it, or am I completely wrong here? :???:
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

That the biggest load of horse manure i have ever seen in my life. I think you have wasted 25 years of your life. Go ask for it back.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
Naku786
Cake Laaitie Killer
Registered for: 13 years 3 months
Car Model: Citi 1.9i 8v

Post by Naku786 »

panic-mechanic wrote:That the biggest load of horse manure i have ever seen in my life. I think you have wasted 25 years of your life. Go ask for it back.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1893cc racecar - back in the garage
Solo786 wrote:after you bust the rsi , should have put down the window and asked "Do you even lift bro?"
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years 1 month
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Post by SemiColon »

panic-mechanic wrote:That the biggest load of horse manure i have ever seen in my life. I think you have wasted 25 years of your life. Go ask for it back.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
八拾六