Sheered bolt on cams

ushir
Enlisted
Registered for: 15 years 6 months

Sheered bolt on cams

Post by ushir »

Hey guys,

I have a Golf 5 TDI and have been tinkering around trying to learn about cars etc. So I read a guide on adjusting the cars timing by adjusting the camshaft adjustment screws - i managed to succesfuly get the timing to where I needed it - but unfortunately I sheered off one of the 3 bolts despite using a torque wrench with the correct torque.

To remove the sheered bolt would require removing the timing belt and cam plate - something I feel I am not experienced enough to do. The car is still under warranty so I am hesitant to ask the dealers to fix it - who can I ask to repair this in Durban? I could always take it to VW during my service and hope they detect it - but I would rather avoid any warranty issues and get it repaired outside of VW.

Any suggestions? Or does anyone know how I could repair this on my own? I am quite a novice at working on cars and this was the first time i ever tried doing anything on my own.
dood786
Post Whore
Registered for: 17 years 1 month
Car Model: boat
Membership No: 1133

Re: Sheered bolt on cams

Post by dood786 »

Repairing it away from vw will void your warranty anyways
Noob
Tdi jetta 4 ever
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, Isuzu2.5DKBLe
Membership No: missing

Post by Tdi jetta 4 ever »

ushir wrote:Hey guys,

I have a Golf 5 TDI and have been tinkering around trying to learn about cars etc. So I read a guide on adjusting the cars timing by adjusting the camshaft adjustment screws - i managed to succesfuly get the timing to where I needed it - but unfortunately I sheered off one of the 3 bolts despite using a torque wrench with the correct torque.

To remove the sheered bolt would require removing the timing belt and cam plate - something I feel I am not experienced enough to do. The car is still under warranty so I am hesitant to ask the dealers to fix it - who can I ask to repair this in Durban? I could always take it to VW during my service and hope they detect it - but I would rather avoid any warranty issues and get it repaired outside of VW.

Any suggestions? Or does anyone know how I could repair this on my own? I am quite a novice at working on cars and this was the first time i ever tried doing anything on my own.
You are not supposed to tinker around with the timing while the car is still under warranty. :eek:
Robin
Current rides: 02' Jetta 4 1.9 Tdi, 99' Isuzu KB 250 Dle(Faithfull aka slowmo) Mercedes Benz ML 270Cdi
Ex rides: 82' jetta 1.5 Gls(sold), 88' jetta Clx(sold with tears in my eyes)

Rather buy a good quality part that will last then buying a cheap part that won't last.

VCDS user with HEX-USB+CAN cable(Rosstech)

robinwisse@gmail.com
graham savage
Colonel
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Caddy's, Mk2's, Mk4, Ford etc
Membership No: 803

Post by graham savage »

Where exactly was the timing that you needed to move it?

Nevermind... your best move is to go to the service manager and be honest, if they void your warranty then you've learnt the hard way unfortunately... but i doubt they will

How much warranty have you got left anyway?