Off Topic reserved for members

Membership queries? More info? Problems? Post here and the Committee will get back to you
This is NOT for technical or brand-related questions.
Kaveen
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: Impreza
Membership No: missing

Off Topic reserved for members

Post by Kaveen »

Guys I don't think its fair to reserve the "Off Topic" forum to members only.

The old "Non Tech: Discussions" was the only section of this forum that I read. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I understand that I am not a member of the club but I am a member of the forum. For a long time. This forum is my homepage.

So please reconsider. I'm sure alot of us non members feel the same. Maybe I can start a Poll to see who agrees?
2007 SCOOBY
1975 MERCEDES BENZ W115 230.4
ree1
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 9 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 2018 320D

Re: Off Topic reserved for members

Post by ree1 »

:( I agree, or make it so that we can view and reply to topics created by paid up members
[url=http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p1872034]

Ex dubs
12 Polo GTI DSG
11 Polo GTI DSG
06 Polo 1.9 Sportline
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

Kaveen wrote:Guys I don't think its fair to reserve the "Off Topic" forum to members only.

The old "Non Tech: Discussions" was the only section of this forum that I read. And I'm sure I'm not the only one. I understand that I am not a member of the club but I am a member of the forum. For a long time. This forum is my homepage.

So please reconsider. I'm sure alot of us non members feel the same. Maybe I can start a Poll to see who agrees?
Hi Kaveen

There is still vehicle-relevant non-tech available to non-members. We have had many, many complaints about the tone and relevance of the forum being dragged down, and good, valuable members leaving because of this. So we decided to move all off topic discussions to, well, offtopic. In my opinion, discussions about fridges and ex-girlfriends, or how ex girlfriends were frigid, don't add much value to a car enthusiast website...?

Alternatively, you could join the club ;)

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

Sinbad wrote:
Alternatively, you could join the club ;)

To clarify this - the hosting of the forum is paid for by club member subscriptions. It's not cheap, this place generates a good couple of GB of traffic a day. I don't think it's unfair that the people who pay for this may see more content...?

mk2-phreak
Captain
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by mk2-phreak »

Im sure you will find that on many car enthusiast forums, off topic discussions are far more active/prevalent than vehicle related topics.
But judging from the sensitive nature of members/admin on this forum, this is one solution for peoples feelings not to get hurt...
Kaveen
Lieutenant

Post by Kaveen »

Maybe make it like the TLGP or Tiete Appreciation forums? Where we have to "apply" to be a part of it. You guys in the committee can look at our past posts and see if we're worthy enough to be part of Off Topic.

I don't even care if you remove me from every other section of the forum and just give me access to Off Topic!
2007 SCOOBY
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

Kaveen wrote:Maybe make it like the TLGP or Tiete Appreciation forums? Where we have to "apply" to be a part of it. You guys in the committee can look at our past posts and see if we're worthy enough to be part of Off Topic.

I don't even care if you remove me from every other section of the forum and just give me access to Off Topic!
I like your suggestions... but then we will be accused of favouritism or censorship or something.

Kibim
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Car Model: AMG
Membership No: 1368

Post by Kibim »

Kaveen wrote:Maybe make it like the TLGP or Tiete Appreciation forums? Where we have to "apply" to be a part of it. You guys in the committee can look at our past posts and see if we're worthy enough to be part of Off Topic.

Or, you could contribute to the running of the club by becoming a member for a fairly insignificant fee, have access to all the forum sections, and be eligible for points at the Durban events?
.....Past Volvo S70R (GT3582R modded), Volvo XC70, Volvo 850 T5, VW Jetta VR6 (Rebored), VW Jetta CLX, VW Golf II GTS
Present Mercedes ML500, Mercedes SLK32 AMG
.Project '74 W114 Benz
ree1
Captain

Post by ree1 »

thanks for bringing it up Kaveen

Ex dubs
12 Polo GTI DSG
11 Polo GTI DSG
06 Polo 1.9 Sportline
Kaveen
Lieutenant

Post by Kaveen »

Spending R200 is not worth it to me because I don't attend events. I don't need the membership pack. I don't need the name in blue. I just wanted to be part if the online community. It was fun. But I guess thats over now.
2007 SCOOBY
Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

Kaveen wrote:Spending R200 is not worth it to me because I don't attend events. I don't need the membership pack. I don't need the name in blue. I just wanted to be part if the online community. It was fun. But I guess thats over now.
So now there's value for you in spending the R180 per year renewal. No reason it has to be over.

Shizzo
Major-General
Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Make: VW, Chevy
Car Model: GTI, Utility

Post by Shizzo »

Hrmmm... I'm not coming into this thread guns blazing. I can understand why the committee made the decision it did. I'm in the same boat as Kaveen though, but for slightly different reasons. The VW Club of SA is a Joburg oriented club with offers and special thingies at vendors and stuff that are located in Joburg. So it's not really worth it for that reason as I am in Cape Town.

R.I.P. UnOfficial Funny Picture Thread...
Umphufu wrote:shagging leads to bad things, like STD's such as syphillis, clamedia, HIV, relationships.
Image = Image

Those who would trade liberty for security, deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
Puni
Field Marshal
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Touareg V10
Membership No: 1523

Post by Puni »

Shizzo wrote:Hrmmm... I'm not coming into this thread guns blazing. I can understand why the committee made the decision it did. I'm in the same boat as Kaveen though, but for slightly different reasons. The VW Club of SA is a Joburg oriented club with offers and special thingies at vendors and stuff that are located in Joburg. So it's not really worth it for that reason as I am in Cape Town.

Can you access it still? Its in the Off Topic Jokes section neh?

What would you suggest?
Derrick Puni Brummer

Current Rides:
'08 Touareg V10
'11 CC 2.0 TDI DSG
'17 T6 Kombi 2.0 TDI

Ex Rides:
Puni's GTI
Puni se Polo
'04 Chico Golf

VWCSA Membership Number: 1523
Kaveen
Lieutenant

Post by Kaveen »

Shizzo wrote:Hrmmm... I'm not coming into this thread guns blazing. I can understand why the committee made the decision it did. I'm in the same boat as Kaveen though, but for slightly different reasons. The VW Club of SA is a Joburg oriented club with offers and special thingies at vendors and stuff that are located in Joburg. So it's not really worth it for that reason as I am in Cape Town.

+1

Most of the perks are for JHB.

I have a feeling most non members that posted worthwhile topics/replies in Non Tech probably won't even visit the forum much anymore. R.I.P.
2007 SCOOBY
ryanrich
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Car Make: Ford
Car Model: Territory

Post by ryanrich »

+1

Sigh... :(
2016 Ford Territory TDCi Titanium AWD
2016 Kia Sportage Si
Krutch
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Mk4 GTi
Membership No: 3200

Post by Krutch »

Huh? Is that why it said I was unable to view my bookmarked page?
mk2-phreak
Captain

Post by mk2-phreak »

Kaveen wrote:Spending R200 is not worth it to me because I don't attend events. I don't need the membership pack. I don't need the name in blue. I just wanted to be part if the online community. It was fun. But I guess thats over now.
:iagree:
ree1
Captain

Post by ree1 »

dat thread

Ex dubs
12 Polo GTI DSG
11 Polo GTI DSG
06 Polo 1.9 Sportline
tfsi
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 1 month
Car Make: VW
Car Model: ROC 2.0 TSI, FRC & stuff

Post by tfsi »

+1. If I was in Joburg, I'd probably be a paid member. I think the contibution of non-paying members are being belittled...*Swirls his pistol and puts it back in his gun holster* :lol:
Shizzo
Major-General

Post by Shizzo »

Puni wrote:

Can you access it still? Its in the Off Topic Jokes section neh?

What would you suggest?
Nope, can't access the funny pic thread. No suggestions from me, comm made the decision in the best interest of the club...

Hopefully the fire of the funny pic thread continues to burn bright...
Umphufu wrote:shagging leads to bad things, like STD's such as syphillis, clamedia, HIV, relationships.
Image = Image

Krutch
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 6 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Mk4 GTi
Membership No: 3200

Post by Krutch »

Well I've only been a member here for 7 years and 3 days - shot for the exclusion ;)
Shizzo
Major-General

Post by Shizzo »

ooooh, wait, I do have a suggestion.

How about a special discounted membership package for those of us who are unable to fully benefit from VW Club membership due to location, vehicle type, etc? Something along the lines of between free and zero Rands? You know... just a suggestion...
Image = Image

Sinbad
Post Whore

Post by Sinbad »

Shizzo wrote:ooooh, wait, I do have a suggestion.

How about a special discounted membership package for those of us who are unable to fully benefit from VW Club membership due to location, vehicle type, etc? Something along the lines of between free and zero Rands? You know... just a suggestion...
Vehicle type? Really?

mk2-phreak
Captain

Post by mk2-phreak »

Shizzo wrote:ooooh, wait, I do have a suggestion.

You like the S2k. I fink you are a good oak and deserve 100% discounted membership
MaX
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Membership No: 1802

Post by MaX »

Its only R16.67 per month. You cant even rent a DVD for that price and this keeps you entertained much much longer.
2014 BMW F30 335i(A) ActiveHybrid3
2015 Golf VII GTI DSG Performance Pack

ex:2011 Polo GTI DSG
2011Jetta 2.0 TSI (CAW)