Turtle Wax Waterless car wash service

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Turtle Wax Waterless car wash service

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Whats you take on the waterless car wash?
There is a service that comes out to you and does the job in CPT, rather expensive at R120 but i havent washed my car in 3 months and cannot take it anymore.

Products is Turtle Wax..

they coming today so i will update the before and after pics but has anyone used this before?
Thupercharged S4
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Re: Turtle Wax Waterless car wash service

Post by lawrence »

IF, and it is a big if, but IF it is done properly, rinse less washing can be done without damaging the paint.

To get this right with water less washing is way more difficult though

Also, 'how dirty' your car is, is going to play a huge role in how much damage the process causes.

If it is light dust/dirt, you should be ok with rinse less, but anything more and I suspect you will see issues. I don't think I would ever do a water less wash on my own car, but I will do a rinse less.

I also seriously doubt whether these guys are going to use ENOUGH product for it to work effectively - typically you would want to spray the area first as a pre-treatment and let it sit there a bit to soften up and encapsulate the dirt, then you want to wipe with many HIGH QUALITY MF towels whilst using the product quite wet.

Given these okes are trying to be profitable whilst coming out to you to do it, for R120, product cost is going to be the one and only place they can save a few bob, and in so doing, they will reduce the chance of this process ever being safe for your car.

I wouldn't do it. Not necessarily because of the product being used. But because of HOW they people doing the work will a) use the product and b) how little they will care for your car.
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

uhm, my car is pretty facked already.. [edited for below]
Last edited by Yakuza Racer on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thupercharged S4
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Thupercharged S4
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

I've tried a similar wash previously (not branded) but I cannot say that I'm convinced. Maybe I'm too set in my old fart thinking but I like to see soap and water on my car.

Keen to hear from more experienced folks on whether or not there's any material difference.
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

Reegz wrote:I've tried a similar wash previously (not branded) but I cannot say that I'm convinced. Maybe I'm too set in my old fart thinking but I like to see soap and water on my car.

Keen to hear from more experienced folks on whether or not there's any material difference.
they coming after 11am... so im running down now to take some before pics.. and will take some after :violin:
Thupercharged S4
Reegz
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 18 years 5 months
Membership No: 1400

Post by Reegz »

It is as Lawrence has pointed out - depends on the dudes doing the work.

I personally witnessed the dude wiping away muck from the rims and then using the same cloth to wipe the bonnet! *horror*
2016 Golf 7 Tyre Devourer
2012 Touran 2.0 TDI Comfortline
---- Ex ----
2012 Golf 6 GTi Edition 35 - RIP :-(
2012 Jetta 6 1.4 Comfortline - SOLD
2004 Ducati Monster 400 - SOLD
[2002 Polo Playa 1.6 2.0l - Sold
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - SOLD
2006 Honda CBR 600RR Movistar - Gone to Heaven
1996 Citi Golf CTi - SOLD
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

ok so they are done... and its ok... seats wasn't cleaned properly, a few spots here and there but compared to what it looked like its much better at a good price.

will be using them again for ease of use
Thupercharged S4
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Yakuza Racer wrote:ok so they are done... and its ok... seats wasn't cleaned properly, a few spots here and there but compared to what it looked like its much better at a good price.

will be using them again for ease of use
I assume you don't give two hoots about the condition of the paint, either before they touched it, or after, given that them missing a spot on your seat is your only complaint?

Look, if that is the case, and I am not judging you if it is, then you really shouldn't be worrying about who is washing it or how - just get it done as cheap as possible and like 90% of car owners out there, you will be happy, as long as there is no visible dirt on the paint.

However, if you do actually care about the potential damage that is being done during your wash and don't want your car to look dull because it is riddled in swirls and you don't want the clear to fail due to over-polishing or lack of protection, then my initial 'advice' stands - it is highly unlikely that someone else will be SAFELY water/rinse less washing your car, so don't let them, or even worse, pay them to do it. If, due to water restrictions, or other choices, you have to rinse less wash, then YOU are the only person who could do it safely, as you you CARE ENOUGH to make it happen.

:hi:

PS: what happened to the before and after pics, and do any of them show the actual paint in the sun (so we can swirls)?
MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

pics of new swirls?
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
ICE King
Cadet
Registered for: 12 years 10 months
Car Model: Polo GTI 20V , Mazdarati

Post by ICE King »

We would rather have swirls than no water. :lol: :lol:

The struggle is real and this is the situation in CT. It's hard to see my car getting exposed to such mediocre washes but my hands is tied behind my back.

At Level 4, car washing is prohibited
1992 Mazda 323 B3 - Masala Mods
2008 VW POLO GTI - 76mm DP + 63mm exhaust , induction, FMIC, Thanas Tuned
Sabretooth Tiger
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sabretooth Tiger »

I sincerely hope you guys get loads more rain, the drought is really bad there.
Current:
2021 Polo Vivo 1.4 Trendline
2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T

Ex:
2014 VW Polo 1.2Tdi Bluemotion
2017 Tornado Red VW Jetta 1.6Tdi Comfortline DSG
2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T
2008 Hyundai Accent 1.6 3dr
2010 BMW 320d
2010 Mazda 3 2.0 Individual
1999 Nissan Sabre Gxi
2006 BMW 323i
2000 Opel Corsa Lite
2006 Ford Focus
1999 Nissan Sentra Gsi
1996 Toyota Conquest.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

ICE King wrote:We would rather have swirls than no water. :lol: :lol:

The struggle is real and this is the situation in CT. It's hard to see my car getting exposed to such mediocre washes but my hands is tied behind my back.

I hear you and can't imagine how tough it must be - hopefully the rains will come.

Even if you are 'forced' into rinse less washing because of the current water shortages, my point is simply that you could do it yourself, and massively reduce the likelihood of inflicting swirls, by simply using a quality product and decent technique and not relying on someone else to do it for you who at the end of the day, doesn't care on any level about your car, but simply wants to collect his paycheck.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 3 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace

Post by amstel18 »

Thanks Yakuza for having your tank washed yesterday! the rain today is well needed!
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

amstel18 wrote:Thanks Yakuza for having your tank washed yesterday! the rain today is well needed!
You beat me to it.

And also, I don't think he cares too much about the Q7s paint as it is for sale.
iLy
Cadet
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by iLy »

Closed garage in a business complex, on a weekend where there is no one - Can wash and detail to your heart's content. :cool:

I note with mild amusement that if you drive past any of the taxi ranks, it's business as normal with not a shred of care for water restrictions :eek:
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

amstel18 wrote:Thanks Yakuza for having your tank washed yesterday! the rain today is well needed!
a clean car still looks clean in the rain lol...

@Lawrence - the pics didnt do it any justice at all, just looks clean so no point in uploading them.

@iLy - i was actually considering washing my car in my garage then it dawned on me that im a lazy **** and i got these guys to wash my car.

@Marz - yeah its for sale but how does that comment help anyone? The car is clean... 90% of people just see a clean car, the other 10% is on this forum, which im not selling my car here sooooooooo :deadhorse:
Thupercharged S4
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester

Post by Yakuza Racer »

its level 4B... much more sever than a level 4... on 4 i could still wash my car with a bucket, now you are not allowed to wash your car.
Thupercharged S4
turbowheelchair
Cadet
Registered for: 7 years
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Golf MK5 2.0 TFSi

Post by turbowheelchair »

cant you use the water from your drains? like the bath water?
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

turbowheelchair wrote:cant you use the water from your drains? like the bath water?
This was suggested by COCT but it's a BIG NO!!!!! It's detrimental to the paint.

Unless your bath water is clean :lol: :lol: :lol: JK
ICE King
Cadet

Post by ICE King »

lawrence wrote:

I hear you and can't imagine how tough it must be - hopefully the rains will come.

Even if you are 'forced' into rinse less washing because of the current water shortages, my point is simply that you could do it yourself, and massively reduce the likelihood of inflicting swirls, by simply using a quality product and decent technique and not relying on someone else to do it for you who at the end of the day, doesn't care on any level about your car, but simply wants to collect his paycheck.
Agreed , it's no excuse but you get an idea of the situation. You and I understand the damage thereof but for those that don't know , are being mislead. One good quality MF towel is alone R100 bucks.
panic-mechanic
Panic's Place
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 79

Post by panic-mechanic »

Maybe if you did this weekly from the start when it was still clean. If is is three months down the line with coastal muck on it well then they have to be awesome to get it off without scratching.
Stephan van Tonder - Jhb - Putfontein Benoni
'05 Audi A6 3.0L TDI Avant
'09 Touareg 3l TDI
'13 VW CC 2l tdi (repair project)
'05 Touareg v10

Perfect Power dealer. I do dyno tuning.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Yeah the thing about doing rinse less washes effectively is that you have to do it often. It should take no more than 15 minutes to wipe the car clean and if you do this say 3 times a week, you don't let the dirt build up too much.

In terms of the 'equipment' needed, you can get away with:

A bucket

A bottle of quality rinse less wash like Optimum ONR @R340, which essentially makes 30 x 2 gallon (around 8l) buckets of wash, so roughly R10 a wash

Then you can either use 'The Big Red Sponge' (specifically designed by Optimum for use with ONR) <- haven't tried it personally but the dudes overseas swear by it) http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-big-red ... ponge.html

Or a bunch of MF towels http://www.auto-dna.co.za/product/pink- ... bulk-pack/ at roughly R11 per towel.

If you go the MF towel route, and you have a bucket with a sealable lid you can mix up your 2 gallons of rinse less wash, place all your clean MF towels in the bucket and let them soak. Then take out a clean towel, wring it dry to the point where the towel is wet but water isn't running off the towel. Fold it in half then half again, giving you 8 clean sides with which to wipe.

Wipe a small section in one direction, flip the towel to expose a clean surface, and wipe the next section. repeat until all 8 sides are used. Then do not place the towel back in the bucket. Grab another towel out the bucket and continue around the car.

If you have solution left over, put the lid on the bucket and save it for your next wash.
madracer21
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 5 months

Post by madracer21 »

Go and buy drinking water, for R1 a litre.
A Karcher K4 flows 420 litres per hour, so R200 should cover you to wash your car.
Keep the slips of the water purchased so they dont fine you.

Waterless washing done by someone as a business will f your paint up.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Keen to see the results Yakuza, pics pretty please.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.