Summit White Chevrolet Utility - Detailed by Lawrence

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Summit White Chevrolet Utility - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by lawrence »

This vehicle is still new and had been parked close to a company who were painting. Unfortunately for the owner, his car was covered in what appeared to be yellow paint. Fortunately however the company was more than willing to rectify the situation, and so the vehicle was booked in with the main aim being to remove the yellow paint from pretty much every exterior surface, polish the paint to remove the inevitable marring from claying process and restore its gloss, and re-protect everything. No work was carried out on the interior or engine bay.

Starting with the dirty area including the wheels, brake calipers, tyres and fender liners so that any potential splashes of dirt onto the paint will be washed off during the 'paint' wash, and therefore if you were to have splashed some dirty wheel water onto the paint, you would only have to wash this area once, instead of twice, and therefore would reduce the potential for swirls.

These were cleaned using a combination of Valet Pro Billberry @ 1:5 and Carchem APC @ 1:5 with a variety of dedicated brushes and mitts. The painted sections were protected using Carpro Hydro and the plastics with Carpro PERL.

Before

The little black dots are from some form of silicone based dressing which (invariably) gets over-applied, and has slung up onto the paint.

Horrible design means dirt collects here really easily

During

After cleaning (but before the tyres and plastics were dressed)

The entire exterior was then cleaned using Turtle Wax Hyperfoam through a foam cannon, Carchem Luxury Shampoo (with 2 buckets / grit guards / wash mitts) and Carchem APC in order to remove the dirt which had not bonded to the vehicle. The vehicle was then pressure rinsed, and liberally sprayed in Carchem Revolt, which was allowed to dwell in order to "dissolve" the embedded iron particles in the paint, the resultant color change of which can be seen as the purple'ish / red'ish bits in the photos below. Where needed (if it appeared sections would risk drying out) I re-covered the area with foam from the cannon.

Carpro Tar-X was then used along with cotton discs and plastic razor blades (where required) to remove the tar contaminants before I was finally able to tackle the paint over-spray.

I used a little over 200g of Shield Heavy Duty Clay along with a couple of litres of clay lube.

Many hours later I was able to tackle restoring the actual paint, which mostly looked like the below and not how a car this young should look.

After a few test spots I settle on a 1-step correction using Flex 3401, Lake Country Orange Hybrid Pads, and Turtle Wax T10 polish. Here is a before and after on the bonnet.

The paint was then protected using Turtle Wax Perfect Finish Paste Wax. I had no problems during application or removal, but did note it tends to haze up rather quickly. I didn't risk leaving it too long before removing, so work smaller sections at a time.

The remaining exterior plastics and the loadbin cover were deep cleaned using Shield Heavy Duty Vinyl and Rubber Cleaner, before being dressed with Carpro PERL.

Before

After

The glass was cleaned inside and out using Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner

I was unable to get the vehicle out of the garage for any 'nice' after shots, so the below have to suffice :oops: :fear: .

Total time spent = 27 hours.

Thanks for looking and as always any questions or comments are welcome.

:hi:
Belix
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 13 years 11 months
Car Model: Passat B8
Membership No: missing

Re: Summit White Chevrolet Utility - Detailed by Lawrence

Post by Belix »

Would not think you see a half tonner all that often! Good stuff Mr E
Mbuzi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: Q5
Membership No: 1964

Post by Mbuzi »

As always, great work Lawrence!
Sabretooth Tiger
Cadet
Registered for: 6 years 8 months

Post by Sabretooth Tiger »

Damn, that's impressive work man. Looks better than brand new.
Current:
2021 Polo Vivo 1.4 Trendline
2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T

Ex:
2014 VW Polo 1.2Tdi Bluemotion
2017 Tornado Red VW Jetta 1.6Tdi Comfortline DSG
2015 Dodge Journey 3.6 V6 R/T
2008 Hyundai Accent 1.6 3dr
2010 BMW 320d
2010 Mazda 3 2.0 Individual
1999 Nissan Sabre Gxi
2006 BMW 323i
2000 Opel Corsa Lite
2006 Ford Focus
1999 Nissan Sentra Gsi
1996 Toyota Conquest.
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

Most guys hate detailing a white vehicle, but I actually find it quite satisfying..

Nice work as usual bud, well done!
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Thanks for all the kind words guys :hug:
Djin
Crazydetailer
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Djin »

Nicely done Lawrence. Thanks for the great write-up. :cool:

Email - Info@crazydetailer.co.za
Shop 8. WorldWear Center, Fairlands, JHB
Store Tel : 011 476 5409
Uvy
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 20 years
Car Make: VW and Seat
Car Model: MK2 GTi 16V Golf
Membership No: 1740

Post by Uvy »

nice job LA
Heaven on Earth - VAG for life
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Great detailed write up and the silicone used on tyres it seems majority of car washes use that to dress the tyres and yes as you said they over or terribly apply it.

Paint work looks 105% better.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Djin wrote:Nicely done Lawrence. Thanks for the great write-up. :cool:
Thanks Pravin
Uvy wrote:nice job LA
Thanks buddy
Unobeat wrote:Great detailed write up and the silicone used on tyres it seems majority of car washes use that to dress the tyres and yes as you said they over or terribly apply it.

Paint work looks 105% better.
Thanks. Yes silicone based dressings are really something I think everyone should move away from but its cheap and used by most car washes, so the general public is used to seeing gooey shiny stuff on their tyres (and down the sides of the their cars, if they bothered to look)