Best size Karcher pressure washer for foam cannon?

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
KJN
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Best size Karcher pressure washer for foam cannon?

Post by KJN »

What is the best size/pressure Karcher to get to use for washing cars with a foam cannon?

Game is advertising the 1400W model for R999 on sale on 30 Nov only. Is this a suitable size??
stig
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9 TDi Highline 96KW
Membership No: 2083

Re: Best size Karcher pressure washer for foam cannon?

Post by stig »

I had the k2.360. It died after less than a year. Took back to makro got refunded and bought the k3premium. Foams lekker bit think a bigger machine would have more foam.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
The Ride:

'09 Polo 1.9 TDi 96KW HighLine
Mods: Straight-flow FMIC ,Stainless boost piping, RKmotion tuned, 17" Audi A5 Reps, Cobra coilovers, SMF cutch kit
H&M Dyno Night: 114KW 429NM
Dubrun 2016 Autotrix Durban: 131KW 458NM Wulfchip Stage 2
Blackout 2017 Precision Race Dyno: 120kw and 450NM RK-motion Stage 2

Mlungupokl
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Model: Mk4 TDi

Post by Mlungupokl »

I have the k2.36. Works like a charm and makes plenty foam.

Remember to buy a water filter attachment for your machine.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk
KJN
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months

Post by KJN »

Mlungupokl wrote:I have the k2.36. Works like a charm and makes plenty foam.

OK Thanks. Does the water filter attachment a Karcher part?
Mlungupokl
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 10 months
Car Model: Mk4 TDi

Post by Mlungupokl »

KJN wrote:
Mlungupokl wrote:I have the k2.36. Works like a charm and makes plenty foam.

OK Thanks. Does the water filter attachment a Karcher part?
Yes. I think they're R150. But saves you big bucks down the line of debris were to get into the system..

BADBOY
Cadet
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Car Model: Hilux 3.0D4D
Membership No: 797

Post by BADBOY »

Game has them for R999 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VW Golf GTi 16vT(current)
VW CC 2.0T DSG
Volvo V50 2.0i-
Volvo V40 T
VW Golf IV GTI 132 REVO-Ex
VW GOLF VR6-
VW Jetta CLI 16v
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Rsi huntered »

i bought the K2.360 Series and works like a charm :thumbup:

here is a pic of the results

Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
JasonCPT
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A4 1.8T

Post by JasonCPT »

I see Makro has the K3 for R1699 so I'm going to get that.

2004 B6 Audi A4 1.8T - Atlas Grey
FK Automotive | Forge | Jaylan Performance | Zeetech Customs | VAGAS | Ratchet Garage
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

I'd just like to throw my 2c in....

This thread refers http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=182422
lawrence wrote: After lengthy discussions with the guys from Karcher yesterday, this is what I have been told - some of which (like the duty cycle) I had no clue about :oops:

The K7 is the only machine with a brass cylinder head. It is rated at 160bar and has a duty cycle of 1 hour. This means it can be used for a maximum of 1 constant use and then must be shut off for at least 30 minutes - this is a water cooled machine.

The K5.2 and K5.7 supposedly have metal (not brass, not plastic) cylinder heads which are more durable than the plastic ones, but less durable than the K7. This however contradicts the pics Lambchop posted of the cylinder heads, so short of opening up a brand new K5.7 I don't know if the Karcher dude is just trying to pull the wool over my eyes. These are 130 bar machines (so currently too powerful (supposedly) for the new V2 cannons. These machines have a duty cycle of 40 minutes before needing to be shut down for 30 mins. They are also water cooled.

The K4, 3 and 2 series all have plastic cylinder heads, and a duty cycle of 30 minutes, before needing 30 minutes cooling off period - these are air cooled machine.

The K1 series is the same as above but with only a 10 minute duty cycle....

According to Karcher, some of the common causes of the failed cylinder heads are:

1. Exceeding the duty cycle - i.e. working the machine too long before allowing cooling off periods
2. Insufficient supply of water to the machine from your tap
3. Not bleeding the system of all air before turning it on
4. Pushing dirty water through the machine
5. Using 'unauthorized' chemicals in the machine

And then as lambchop mentioned, the constant on/off nature of these machines causes cracks in the cylinder head itself,or the seals therein to fail.
I started with the smaller machines and progressively upgraded as they inevitably failed and am now using the K7 and couldn't be happier. The increased duty cycle, additional pressure and the longer hose all make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Inevitably the increased pressure will help make more foamy foam - just also remember that the foaminess of the foam isn't the most important element of using a foam cannon - the actual ability of the snowfoam product to RELEASE DIRT FROM THE PAINT is what really counts.
LostEnigma
Captain
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: S3 8L
Membership No: 3207

Post by LostEnigma »

As a detailer.. the K5 series has made life the easiest .. but is so temperamental...

K3 is what I started with... not a days issue 3 years down the line. Foaming is easy... as stated... Foam that actually cleans is more important than foam that literally just foams.
Current:

2003 Mexico Blue Audi S3 8L 280.7 WKW - 424NM - Bagged by FS Projects, YT Revision & Only Charged Dubs - ISPIRI WHEELS FTW

Ex:

2013 VW Candy White Polo Vivo GT - SOLD
1997 VW White Chico Golf - SOLD
JasonCPT
Lieutenant
Registered for: 11 years 8 months
Car Model: A4 1.8T

Post by JasonCPT »

LostEnigma wrote:As a detailer.. the K5 series has made life the easiest .. but is so temperamental...

K3 is what I started with... not a days issue 3 years down the line. Foaming is easy... as stated... Foam that actually cleans is more important than foam that literally just foams.
Think I will jump on the K3 then and get proper foam.

2004 B6 Audi A4 1.8T - Atlas Grey
FK Automotive | Forge | Jaylan Performance | Zeetech Customs | VAGAS | Ratchet Garage
Howie-WP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 21 years 7 months
Membership No: 2033

Post by Howie-WP »

I have an entry level Bosch Aquatak 100 unit, more than sufficient to create a decent foam via my canon I got from CD.
jippo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: ST

Post by jippo »

lawrence wrote:I'd just like to throw my 2c in....

This thread refers http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=182422
lawrence wrote: After lengthy discussions with the guys from Karcher yesterday, this is what I have been told - some of which (like the duty cycle) I had no clue about :oops:

The K7 is the only machine with a brass cylinder head. It is rated at 160bar and has a duty cycle of 1 hour. This means it can be used for a maximum of 1 constant use and then must be shut off for at least 30 minutes - this is a water cooled machine.

The K5.2 and K5.7 supposedly have metal (not brass, not plastic) cylinder heads which are more durable than the plastic ones, but less durable than the K7. This however contradicts the pics Lambchop posted of the cylinder heads, so short of opening up a brand new K5.7 I don't know if the Karcher dude is just trying to pull the wool over my eyes. These are 130 bar machines (so currently too powerful (supposedly) for the new V2 cannons. These machines have a duty cycle of 40 minutes before needing to be shut down for 30 mins. They are also water cooled.

The K4, 3 and 2 series all have plastic cylinder heads, and a duty cycle of 30 minutes, before needing 30 minutes cooling off period - these are air cooled machine.

The K1 series is the same as above but with only a 10 minute duty cycle....

According to Karcher, some of the common causes of the failed cylinder heads are:

1. Exceeding the duty cycle - i.e. working the machine too long before allowing cooling off periods
2. Insufficient supply of water to the machine from your tap
3. Not bleeding the system of all air before turning it on
4. Pushing dirty water through the machine
5. Using 'unauthorized' chemicals in the machine

And then as lambchop mentioned, the constant on/off nature of these machines causes cracks in the cylinder head itself,or the seals therein to fail.
I started with the smaller machines and progressively upgraded as they inevitably failed and am now using the K7 and couldn't be happier. The increased duty cycle, additional pressure and the longer hose all make for a much more enjoyable experience.

Inevitably the increased pressure will help make more foamy foam - just also remember that the foaminess of the foam isn't the most important element of using a foam cannon - the actual ability of the snowfoam product to RELEASE DIRT FROM THE PAINT is what really counts.
I think your cannon gets more opportunity to shoot loads of white stuff than most other members here though :troll:
F30 320d
ex: Focus ST250