The detailing advice thread

This forum is designated for Detailing discussion...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
mikhail117
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years
Car Make: Volkwagen
Car Model: CW Polo 6R GTi

Re: The detailing advice thread

Post by mikhail117 »

I've used matt dash. It spreads easily and excess residue is wiped away easily. It finishes dry to the touch and once dry it is completely clear. I've found it works well on rubber, vinyl and plastics too (as claimed).
It's marketed as a coating and 2 coats are recommended which claims to give you around 6 months of protection.

I will keep you updated on durability but i was really impressed at how easily it is applied. Only down side would be the two coats that need to be applied 24 hours apart, which needs to be a consideration if, like me, you detail the interior last... for your own personal vehicle however, this shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps
Mikhail Petersen

mjpetersen@mweb.co.za
jippo
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 10 months
Car Model: ST

Post by jippo »

These interior dressings are quite pricey :(
F30 320d
ex: Focus ST250
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

jippo wrote:These interior dressings are quite pricey :(
What is the price to replace a cracked/faded dash board?

What will it cost to fix your car when you crash it because you were blinded by the shine from the silicone the corner car wash sprayed on your dash?
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

mikhail117 wrote:I've used matt dash. It spreads easily and excess residue is wiped away easily. It finishes dry to the touch and once dry it is completely clear. I've found it works well on rubber, vinyl and plastics too (as claimed).
It's marketed as a coating and 2 coats are recommended which claims to give you around 6 months of protection.

I will keep you updated on durability but i was really impressed at how easily it is applied. Only down side would be the two coats that need to be applied 24 hours apart, which needs to be a consideration if, like me, you detail the interior last... for your own personal vehicle however, this shouldn't be an issue.

Hope this helps
Used it on my laptop this weekend :lol:

I share you sentiments exactly, impressive product.
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
jippo
Lieutenant

Post by jippo »

lawrence wrote:

What will it cost to fix your car when you crash it because you were blinded by the shine from the silicone the corner car wash sprayed on your dash?
Yeah it is relatively cheaper than repairs, but it doesn't change the fact that it's pricey.
I'll get some in the near future though. Wife already gives me the stink-eye when she sees me with a bag of stuff from CD :lol:
F30 320d
Rsi huntered
Captain
Registered for: 15 years 6 months
Membership No: missing

Post by Rsi huntered »

Hi Guys,

i actually use the leather treatment on my dash board, so while im doing my seats i incorp. the dash into the mix :grin: (and leave a nice Matt finish), any issues i could expect?

another thing, is due to the water restrictions and not using a hose, i started rinsing my car with warm water ( could i experience any issues here?) cause warm water WOULD release the dirt better?
Last edited by Rsi huntered on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf 6 Ed. 35 - 2013 (FR&R Tuned)
Tiguan 2018 R-Line :evil:
Polo 6C Ex
2004 Golf 1 Baby 1.4i +VAT :evil: 76.3 WHP@K.A.R
Polo 2008(9n3)Ex:-(
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
Golf 2 2L 16v full house(RIP) :bang: Ex
Jetta 2 1.8 16v full house(sold) Ex
Rsi huntered
Captain

Post by Rsi huntered »

jippo wrote:
lawrence wrote:

Yeah it is relatively cheaper than repairs, but it doesn't change the fact that it's pricey.
I'll get some in the near future though. Wife already gives me the stink-eye when she sees me with a bag of stuff from CD :lol:
when ever you are buying a product, always look at it in a repetitive cost. The dressing might be expensive BUT if this last you 20 uses and 2 years, divide this by the uses and months which in turn does is not that expensive.

anything you pay upfront is expensive but calculate it in instalments, is always cheaper :cool: :thumbup:
Polo 6C Ex
Golf 1(2 door)branch,exhaust,domingo's,leather seats,electric windows, 2.0L 16v ( sold ) :cry: Ex.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

jippo wrote:
lawrence wrote:

:lol:

Yeah look most of the quality products you are going to buy from the likes of the forum sponsors are not as cheap as the crap they will use at the car wash, like some silicone nonsense for your dash....

But just think about it like this.... if you are like most and roll to the corner car wash once a week at R50 a pop, that equates to R2.5K per year.

So over 2 years you are paying someone R5k to scratch your car once a week and have nothing left to show for it but a car with thin swirled out paint that isn't shiny, wheels with a finish that is well...finished from cheap industrial cleaners and plastics that are faded.

Now....

Take R5k, go buy a bunch of quality detailing products and I bet at the end of the 2 years you will STILL have products left over, and your car will be in a lot better condition.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Rsi huntered wrote:Hi Guys,

i actually use the leather treatment on my dash board, so while im doing my seats i incorp. the dash into the mix :grin: (and leave a nice Matt finish), any issues i could expect?

another thing, is due to the water restrictions and not using a hose, i started rinsing my car with warm water ( could i experience any issues here?)
What leather treatment is it
What is your dash made of

I don't see any concerns rinsing with warm water - just make sure the glass isn't ice cold, or you could crack it.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Rsi huntered wrote:when ever you are buying a product, always look at it in a repetitive cost. The dressing might be expensive BUT if this last you 20 uses and 2 years, divide this by the uses and months which in turn does is not that expensive.

anything you pay upfront is expensive but calculate it in instalments, is always cheaper :cool: :thumbup:
This :hurray:
Rsi huntered
Captain

Post by Rsi huntered »

lawrence wrote:
Rsi huntered wrote:Hi Guys,

another thing, is due to the water restrictions and not using a hose, i started rinsing my car with warm water ( could i experience any issues here?)
What leather treatment is it
What is your dash made of

I don't see any concerns rinsing with warm water - just make sure the glass isn't ice cold, or you could crack it.
yip HOT and cold dont mix :grin:

i am using using the Shield Leather treatment at the moment (trying to finish this before getting another leather treatment, which it is nearly finished)

My dash on the 35 feel like soft foam/plastic/leather not sure but feels like leather thats why i used it on the dash.

if somone can confirm on their golf 6 or maybe when you doing another golf 6 Lawrence?
Last edited by Rsi huntered on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Polo 6C Ex
Kyle
General
Registered for: 11 years
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

lawrence wrote:
jippo wrote:
lawrence wrote:

Yeah look most of the quality products you are going to buy from the likes of the forum sponsors are not as cheap as the crap they will use at the car wash, like some silicone nonsense for your dash....

But just think about it like this.... if you are like most and roll to the corner car wash once a week at R50 a pop, that equates to R2.5K per year.

So over 2 years you are paying someone R5k to scratch your car once a week and have nothing left to show for it but a car with thin swirled out paint that isn't shiny, wheels with a finish that is well...finished from cheap industrial cleaners and plastics that are faded.

Now....

Take R5k, go buy a bunch of quality detailing products and I bet at the end of the 2 years you will STILL have products left over, and your car will be in a lot better condition.
:lol: :hurray:
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
jippo
Lieutenant

Post by jippo »

lawrence wrote:
jippo wrote:
lawrence wrote:

Now....

Luckily I stay in a place where I can wash my car myself now, so I've started buying car care stuff whenever I get a chance.
It's just kinda difficult to say "no babe, I don't have money to paint the bedroom" after I spent a few 100s at CD :lol:
F30 320d
Kiran
Thumbie
Registered for: 13 years 2 months
Car Model: Golf 1 Citi
Membership No: 2028

Post by Kiran »

HI guys, just abit of work I did, was prepping for a show and was strapped for time, so washed the car via 2bm and used Megs QD, must say it works quite well, just some pics

Rsi huntered
Captain

Post by Rsi huntered »

QD helps alot Kiran.... Looking good bud :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

Everybody became professionals cause i dont see any more questions :grin:
okay need some advice :

Im getting my new car this weekend and need to know the safest way to protect it cause i will most probably only do my detail on that car first week in Jan.

i dont want to use Iron out on the paint cause i will most probably have to use it again in Jan and as advised this is not to be used that often and claying might leave marring which will need polishing to take out.

so what are my options :hi:
Polo 6C Ex
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Rsi huntered wrote:QD helps alot Kiran.... Looking good bud :thumbup:

Hi Guys,

okay need some advice :

Im getting my new car this weekend and need to know the safest way to protect it cause i will most probably only do my detail on that car first week in Jan.

i dont want to use Iron out on the paint cause i will most probably have to use it again in Jan and as advised this is not to be used that often and claying might leave marring which will need polishing to take out.

If you are looking for a quick way to throw some protection on the car until you have the time to do a full detail on it, and don't want to do a decon first, why not look at a decent spray wax - Optimum make a really good one (crazy detailer)

Or, if you own a HP washer, then Gyeon Wetcoat is REALLY simple to use.
Spray onto a WET panel, wait a half a minute and blast it with the HP washer
Done

Just don't use it in direct sunlight
DieterMK5
Lieutenant
Registered for: 10 years 1 month
Car Model: Jetta MK5 1.9 TDi
Membership No: 3015

Post by DieterMK5 »

Rsi huntered wrote:QD helps alot Kiran.... Looking good bud Image

Hi Guys,

okay need some advice :

Perhaps you can look into a spray wax as said. I use the carchem spray wax after every wash just to keep the wax layer buildup from depleting as quickly. Pretty easy to apply and it does give some great gloss.
Rsi huntered
Captain

Post by Rsi huntered »

Thanks Lawrence and Dietermk4.....

Will take a drive to Crazy Detailer.

and correct Lawrence i want to try and not make to much contact on the paint until i do the full detail :thumbup:

hahaha unfortunately we cannot use Hose pipe in the complex anymore :grin: now have to use bucket system.
Polo 6C Ex
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Pleasure bud - without a HP washer, Wetcoat isn't an option.

I am sure the guys at CD will hook you up with a decent spray wax to meet your needs :thumbup:
Dhir-DKR
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 5 months
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: s3 - 8L 20v BT

Post by Dhir-DKR »

howzit guys,

I love washing and polishing my car but the only downside is the swirls, which are killing me.

I have adopted two bucket, wash mitt and mircofibre cloth processes for the last year.

I use meg deep crystal polish with meg carnuba wax. I also found a turtle wax polish for black paint, which i also tried.

I have even purchased scratch x 2.0 to remove marks and swirls.

My questions are:
- can swirls be taken out without a machine?
- If i had to purchase a machine, would the shield 1 from game suffice?
- Are the polishes and wax okay for my application? ( i did find the meg to shine a great deal more than the turtle wax)

Ideally i would like to learn how to detail on my own, so that my car can always be in pristine condition.
Thanks in advance :hi:
2007 VW Polo GTi - current

2008 Audi 8P S3 - ex
2002 Audi 8L s3 BT - ex
2000 VW Polo Playa 1.4i - ex
1998 Mazda Astina- ex
Rsi huntered
Captain

Post by Rsi huntered »

Dhir-DKR wrote:howzit guys,

I love washing and polishing my car but the only downside is the swirls, which are killing me.

I have adopted two bucket, wash mitt and mircofibre cloth processes for the last year.

I use meg deep crystal polishPolish should not be used often as the abrasives compound will eat away at your clear over time diminishing to a point that you will not have any clear for protection with meg carnuba wax. I also found a turtle wax polish for black paint, which i also tried.

I have even purchased scratch x 2.0 to remove marks and swirlshonestly for cleaning you paint with by had this product will suffice however removing total swirls by hand i dont see it happening.

My questions are:
- can swirls be taken out without a machine?short answer NO
- If i had to purchase a machine, would the shield 1 from game suffice?corrected: the cheap one for abuot R300 will NOT work, the DA shield polisher would be anyone starting point as you get the best bang for buck
- Are the polishes and wax okay for my application? ( i did find the meg to shine a great deal more than the turtle wax)you can apply any good wax as the more protection you have the better protection you will get on your car

Ideally i would like to learn how to detail on my own, so that my car can always be in pristine condition.
please see comments in red above.... im sure the other guys will can give you more information OR wait for the SA :grin: (i wont mention names we just know who that will come from with alot of information to help you :thumbup:
Polo 6C Ex
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

I use meg deep crystal polish with meg carnuba wax. I also found a turtle wax polish for black paint, which i also tried.

My questions are:
- Are the polishes and wax okay for my application? ( i did find the meg to shine a great deal more than the turtle wax)

Someone who wants to learn to look after their car.... oh yeah :troll:

I see you are in Durban bud - why don't you come through and see me and I can try and give you some tips first hand - it will be a LOT easier than trying to type out all the advice... shoot me a PM and we can set something up if you are keen :thumbup:

Some quick things to think about though....

Are you pre-washing? In other words, are you trying to remove as much dirt as possible from the car BEFORE you touch it
I see you are using 2 buckets - are you using grit guards with them?
How big an area are you washing before rinsing out your mitt?
Do you wash any particular panels first or do you wash the car in a haphazard fashion?
What are you using for drying?
Do you make use of a drying aid or quick detailer during the drying process?

Yes swirls CAN be taken out by hand.... but it is HARD work :fear: A dual action machine is a lot more efficient at doing so though - but DO NOT look at a Shield ORBITAL polisher (the cheapy for like R300) - that will NOT fix swirls and will probably impart more into your paint.

For the most part, shine does NOT come from the wax, but instead from decontaminating and correcting the paint - wax should primarily be used for protection and if it visually enhances the paint, so be it...

:thumbup:
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Also, if you haven't yet done so, read through this guide I put together a few years back - admittedly some of it is a little outdated, but for the most part it should be of some help...

http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=166322
Mbuzi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: Q5
Membership No: 1964

Post by Mbuzi »

My questions are:

Always great when someone wants to learn how to properly look after their car :hurray: :hurray:

I would suggest reading through this thread, from page 1, I did it, greatest investment of my time.
Mbuzi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 11 months
Car Model: Q5
Membership No: 1964

Post by Mbuzi »

Rsi huntered wrote:Thanks Lawrence and Dietermk4.....

Will take a drive to Crazy Detailer.

and correct Lawrence i want to try and not make to much contact on the paint until i do the full detail :thumbup:

hahaha unfortunately we cannot use Hose pipe in the complex anymore :grin: now have to use bucket system.
I want to try out something this weekend. Get those 20L buckets with taps on the side, pour water and connect the HP there. I can imagine the water flowing from the tap, obviously without too much pressure vs normal tap. But I think this can work, besides, my HP is still under warranty in case something bad happens :fear: