DIY: How to fit a boost gauge on a tdi

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Re: DIY: How to fit a boost guage on a tdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Neuk wrote:...
VDO sells gauges that don't have any vaccuum, which are more in-line with what a TDi boost gauge needs :wink:
What do you mean "has no vaccuum"? Mine starts from 0.0 then goes up with boost :? Do you mean no vaccuum pipe to the unit?
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Neuk wrote:... Nice sleek look, rather than in your face...
Nic, if 500nm and all that soot is in your face why not
:lol: :lol:
Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Titus
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 5 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan TSi 4Motion
Membership No: 1189

Post by Titus »

MeanTdi wrote:
Neuk wrote:... Nice sleek look, rather than in your face...
Nic, if 500nm and all that soot is in your face why not
:lol: :lol:

exacery! :twisted:
Current: `18 Tiguan TSI 4motion

x: LSG MK7 GTI DSG
x: Audi A4 B7 1.8T
X:'08 Golf 5 GTI - White Rush
'05 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline - Blue Boost
'05 Velociti 1.4i
There is a replacement for displacement, its called compressed air :evil:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

MeTsU wrote:Awesome post mate. :) DIY FTW! :)
Thanks MeTsU :wink: DIY is the only way - you can make sure you get the job done the way YOU like it.
Marco

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

babyboyvw wrote:Thats cool man, a real DIY job.

We need to arrange a get together for the polo guys. Do a photoshoot, take a drive and talk some kak about our cars and ideas.

What say you guys???
Thanks babyboyvw.

We must get together. Thank would be great :D
Marco

MeTsU
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDi Sportline
Membership No: 1644

Post by MeTsU »

MeanTdi wrote:
Thanks MeTsU :wink: DIY is the only way - you can make sure you get the job done the way YOU like it.
EXACTLY!! :D I like the way you think. ;) Marco, you not on MSN or Skype hey?
2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Dingo Dynamite wrote:Thanx Mean TDi. Babyboy can't that wait until I get my TDI?
Pleasure Dingo Dynamite. I am sure we can wait a while until you get you TDI. When are you expecting delivery?
Marco

Dingo Dynamite
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by Dingo Dynamite »

I went to see the car yesterday, it was in mint condition and it had black leather with red stitching, look pretty neat. I also test drove it but the sales man was in the car so I didn't really "DRIVE" it. Was it something wrong with but I noticed that the throttle response from take-off wasn't that immediate? Or maybe it's cause I wasn't pushing it right, afterall the sales man was in the car.
I'm so hot my mom calls me son.
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

MeTsU wrote:
MeanTdi wrote:
EXACTLY!! :D I like the way you think. ;) Marco, you not on MSN or Skype hey?
Nope, not yet. Will let you know i get hooked up :wink:
Marco

MeanTdi

Caring for your Tdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Dingo Dynamite wrote:I went to see the car yesterday, it was in mint condition and it had black leather with red stitching, look pretty neat. I also test drove it but the sales man was in the car so I didn't really "DRIVE" it. Was it something wrong with but I noticed that the throttle response from take-off wasn't that immediate? Or maybe it's cause I wasn't pushing it right, afterall the sales man was in the car.
Hi there, Dingo Dynamite. Black leather with red stitching looks great. Nothing wrong with the car, just turbo lag below 1500 rpm. :lol:

A TurboDiesel drives completely different to a petrol, so you will have to change you driving style. These Sportlines can provide stonking performance, but with all good things comes a price. Some points to remember:

- Do not use max boost below 2000/2200 rpm
- Do not over rev the engine - anything beyond 4800 rpm is out of the torque zone anyway, so a waste of time (i do not go over 4500 rpm in spirited driving)
- Drive the car gently/normally for the 1st 10mins until the water AND oil are warm (water guage will be at 90 degs)
- When warming up the car drive using no more than 2500 rpm and use gentle throttle
- Let the care cool down for the last 3-5 minutes of a trip and/or let it idle for 1 - 3 minutes depending on how hard it has been pushed
- Use best diesel possible - 50 parts per million (ppm)
- Avoid using max boost in 1st or 2nd gear (remeber you can always catch up using 3rd and 4th :lol: )

Hope this helps :wink:
Marco

Dingo Dynamite
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by Dingo Dynamite »

Thanks alot MeanTDI, I hope I remember all of that and will try keep it in mind, infact I think I should print that. You are right, that was the 1st time in my life I drive a diesel actually so it was a totally new experience for me. You say I should keep the revs below 4800? That will take a bit of adjustment. With my petrol car when racing I used to change as soon as the rev needle hits the red. What is max boost? Can I double clutch the car? Can it snap change from 1st to 2nd? Can I clutch it at take-off?
I'm so hot my mom calls me son.
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Dingo Dynamite wrote:Thanks alot MeanTDI, I hope I remember all of that and will try keep it in mind, infact I think I should print that. You are right, that was the 1st time in my life I drive a diesel actually so it was a totally new experience for me. You say I should keep the revs below 4800? That will take a bit of adjustment. With my petrol car when racing I used to change as soon as the rev needle hits the red. What is max boost? Can I double clutch the car? Can it snap change from 1st to 2nd? Can I clutch it at take-off?
Pleasure. It becomes second nature after a while. Look these cars are not made of glass, but the better you look after them the better they look after you.

They have a limiter that kicks in at 5100 rpm, but the turbo must over rev to supply the requested boost at those rpms AND you are not in the sweet spot of the torque curve that is from 1900-2500 rpm. Normal driving i change at 3000 rpm to land at 2000 rpm. In spirited driving i change at 3200-4000 max to land nicely at 2200-2400 where the REAL power lies. Yes, it takes geting used to. Max boost starts from 1800 rpm, but according to a dyno graph max torque is at 2200 rpm. Well at least on my one it is. I don't think i have gone past 4200 rpm in months.

Do not double clutch the car - there is plenty torque which could place heavy strain on the drive train/gearbox. Its not necessary.
Do not snap change from 1st to 2nd. Even in stock form you will just end up wheel spinning. Be as gentle as possible to get the best traction.
Do not clutch it at take off. Again there is too much torque and you will fry your clutch.

If you are keen on winning races just get a decent remap/chip. Then you will have more than enough power to actually use half throttle in 1st and 2nd and then rope the guys in using max boost in 3rd and up. Now thats entertaining - when you hear the car next to you reving to the moon and back (waiting for the vtec to kick in yo) and you just pass them :twisted:
Marco

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

MeanTdi wrote:
VDO sells gauges that don't have any vaccuum, which are more in-line with what a TDi boost gauge needs :wink:
What do you mean "has no vaccuum"? Mine starts from 0.0 then goes up with boost :? Do you mean no vaccuum pipe to the unit?
A TDi has no throttlebody with a butter-fly valve and as such does not produce a vacuum like a petrol car does :wink: You will notice a boost gauge for a pertol car has a vacuum section below 0.0 bar boost, for when you come off throttle and the butterfly valve in the throttlebody closes shut :wink: A TDi boost gauge has no vacuum section, only a positive boost section...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Neuk wrote:
MeanTdi wrote:
A TDi has no throttlebody with a butter-fly valve and as such does not produce a vacuum like a petrol car does :wink: You will notice a boost gauge for a pertol car has a vacuum section below 0.0 bar boost, for when you come off throttle and the butterfly valve in the throttlebody closes shut :wink: A TDi boost gauge has no vacuum section, only a positive boost section...
Yes, i have seen those guages on the forums in the States.The needle starts at 0.

Mine is fine for a TDI as the centre readout shows 0.0 when there is no boost. The main reason why i bought it is that the digital read out is large and easy to read on the move, blends in with the colour and theme of the other dials and the read out flashes when boost exceeds 1.5 bar for longer than 3 seconds. And you get a free battery meter. Now do the ones in the States do all that :wink:
Marco

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

MeanTdi wrote:Yes, i have seen those guages on the forums in the States.The needle starts at 0.

Mine is fine for a TDI as the centre readout shows 0.0 when there is no boost. The main reason why i bought it is that the digital read out is large and easy to read on the move, blends in with the colour and theme of the other dials and the read out flashes when boost exceeds 1.5 bar for longer than 3 seconds. And you get a free battery meter. Now do the ones in the States do all that :wink:
He He - Boknaai :wink: Probably not, but I love the black VDO style gauges :wink: Nice and sleek and would look OEM in my TDi...
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Neuk wrote:
MeanTdi wrote:Yes, i have seen those guages on the forums in the States.The needle starts at 0.

He He - Boknaai :wink: Probably not, but I love the black VDO style gauges :wink: Nice and sleek and would look OEM in my TDi...
Point taken :wink:
Marco

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

BUMP for BigBear.

Shout if you need help. :wink:
Marco

BigBear
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 11 months
Car Model: Polo TDi
Membership No: 1598

Post by BigBear »

Thx, :cool:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Pleasure. :hi:
Marco

BigBear
Cadet

Post by BigBear »

Last edited by BigBear on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

BigBear wrote:http://www.madman.co.za/
Cost: R1600
http://landyonline.co.za/shop/product_i ... ucts_id/62

Very Usefull looking EMS ..
Great find!

"EMS2 - Engine Monitor - R1657.77
The EMS 2 Multi Gauge Instrument can be configured to measure and monitor all of the following simultaneously and is suitable for automotive, plant and stationary engines both petrol and diesel:
1. EGT
2. Coolant Temperature
3. Oil Temperature
4. Oil/Boost/Fuel/Aux Pressure
5. Oil Pressure Switch
6. Water Level with adjustable sensitivity The above readings can all have individual alarm set points with max and min values.
7. Engine running hours with selectable “service engine reminder” alarm
8. Battery Voltage

Besides these fantastic features the multi gauge also has: * Green backlit display * Ability to record all maximum values until reset * Voltage reversal and over voltage protection * Built in audible alarm * Built in Visual alarm * External relay output drive to cut the engine or for other uses * Easy to use menu system * The ability to calibrate your own sensors * The ability to set the multi gauge to page through your choice of displays at preset intervals or to display one feature only * The ability to disable any function/s if they are not required * A 10 to 30 Volts DC working range Current version is EMS2 v1.09 The EMS LONG harnass is now shipping FREE with all EMS units. * Sender kit supplied separately to suit a range of vehicles"
Marco

BigBear
Cadet

Post by BigBear »

Wondering now if there isn't a Gauge that can interface with the OBD?
Like VAG-COM, doesn't it also provide similar info?
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

BigBear wrote:Wondering now if there isn't a Gauge that can interface with the OBD?
Nic has one like that. Expensive but worth the extra R's.
Marco

Freekst@
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 6 months
Car Model: 2012 Polo 6R 1.6 TDi
Membership No: missing

Post by Freekst@ »

MeanTdi wrote:
BigBear wrote:Wondering now if there isn't a Gauge that can interface with the OBD?
Nic has one like that. Expensive but worth the extra R's.
Was so tempted to getting the guage like nic's, blady customs chargers are a biatch... :bang:

Great DIY... will be needing this sometime sooon... ;)
JVR
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 3 months

Post by JVR »

'10 Tiguan 2.0TDI
'00 A3 1.8T