DIY: How to fit a boost gauge on a tdi

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
MeanTdi
The Imposer Mod-whore-rator
Registered for: 18 years 1 month
Car Make: Subaru
Car Model: WRX
Membership No: 1153

Post by MeanTdi »

Howzit guys,

I am trying to fit a boost gauge on a tdi. I need to drill a hole into the boost pipe. Where do i get hold of a connector from the boost pipe to the pipe that leads to the boost gauge sensor?

Thanks in advance,

Marco.
Last edited by MeanTdi on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco

Current: Subaru WRX
Ex: VW Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
Ex: VW Golf VR6
Ex: VW Golf 1.8 GTi 16v

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Titus
Captain
Registered for: 16 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan TSi 4Motion
Membership No: 1189

Post by Titus »

I opeded a thread for this same thing.

try autostlying there in hans stryjdom. i think they got those t pieces for the boost pipes. im heading over there to get me a boost gauge for my soot monster.

question for you, where you gonna mount the gauge? im battling to find a place. gonna loose, my cd shuttle when i out my new head unit in and gonna see if the gauge will fit below it. your thoughts?
Current: `18 Tiguan TSI 4motion

x: LSG MK7 GTI DSG
x: Audi A4 B7 1.8T
X:'08 Golf 5 GTI - White Rush
'05 Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline - Blue Boost
'05 Velociti 1.4i
There is a replacement for displacement, its called compressed air :evil:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer
Registered for: 18 years 4 months
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Membership No: 806

Post by Neuk »

Hi guys

Hold on just a second before evryone runs off and buys stuff :wink:

You cannot use a t-piece connector as supplied with the Autostyle type boost gauges as there is no central point on a TDi you can pull boost off liek on a turbocharged petrol car :wink: What you will need to do is to drill a hole into the boost pipe which leads back to the engine intake from the intercooler :wink: You will then need to tap a thread into this hole and buy the correct size pipe connector to fit the supplied piping as well as the thread you have just tapped :wink:

Have a look here for more explanation and pictures:

Click me!

OK - Now I am confused, as I found this and they used a t piece and pulled boost off a pipe from the intake manifold:

Click me!

Where are the experts :?:

Cheers
Nic
Last edited by Neuk on Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current Garage:
Daily Drive: 2014 VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDi R-Line
Project Fes: 1982 VW Golf GLS 1.5
Project FeO: 1966 VW Type 2 Transporter Kombi Split Window

Previous Garage:
Roxy: 2015 VW Golf R
Vagon: 2005 Audi B6 A4 1.8T (140kw) Avant
Project XXXX: 1967 VW Type 3 Variant (Squareback)
Project Betty: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDI (PD130) Sportline
Weekend Warrior: 1993 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0 16v ABF on ITB's
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Titus i wrote:I opeded a thread for this same thing.

try autostlying there in hans stryjdom. i think they got those t pieces for the boost pipes. im heading over there to get me a boost gauge for my soot monster.

question for you, where you gonna mount the gauge? im battling to find a place. gonna loose, my cd shuttle when i out my new head unit in and gonna see if the gauge will fit below it. your thoughts?
Apparently you cannot use a "T" piece on a Tdi so i need a valve type bolt like on a wheel rim - almost like a bolt with a hole in it.

I have not decided on the position yet. The boost gauge is siting in the ash tray (tray removed) for now until all is working well.
Marco

ALFAHOLIC wrote:What can go wrong, jarre you guys sound like you are describing an Alfa here...
My Corsa OPC wrote:Its not an oil leak, its just an Opel marking its territory :lol:
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Now this is a boost gauge...

Post by Neuk »

TDi guys, have a look at this, insane work:

Click me!
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
De@n
General
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Car Model: MKV .:R32
Membership No: 1227

Re: Now this is a boost gauge...

Post by De@n »

Neuk wrote:TDi guys, have a look at this, insane work:

Click me!
damn the led's look absolutely awesome!!!!!
Current Ride:
MKV Golf .:R32
Project :83' MK GTI aka "The Phantom"

Ex Rides:
BMW 130i
MK VI GTI DSG
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Re: Now this is a boost gauge...

Post by Neuk »

De@n wrote:
Neuk wrote:TDi guys, have a look at this, insane work:

Click me!
damn the led's look absolutely awesome!!!!!
And the quality of workmanship is just insane :shock: OEM+ is definately the way to go...
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Hi guys,

i'm still having trouble finding the connection between the boost pipe going into the intake manifold on the Tdi AND the boost tube that needs to be connected that leads to the boost guage. Can anyone help?

@Shadow - what did you use? I did a search and did not find the photo of your installation?

Cheers.
Marco

Shadow
Cadet
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Shadow »

@MeanTDI

Howsit

Server where my pics were hosted is gone. I also bought a gauge at Autostyle that came with the T-piece and saw it wouldn't work.

I then bought one at ??(For the life of me I cant remember the name of the place. Genereic spares shop across from Mercedes in Randburg. Motorcity? someone help :D ) in Randburg. It came with the correct connectors. It consists of a screw type connector and tubing. I had to drill a hole and thread it. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE on a sepperate piece of plastic before you do the boost pipe. Make the hole a millimeter smaller so that you have a tight fit. Use lock tight or silicone to ensure a tight seal.
I didn't want to drill through my firewall, so I routed it behind the fender and in through a hole close to the door hinge.

Hope this helps. If you want I'll take some pics again this weekend. I have a lot of "sweating" round the connector, but I dont think it's leaking.
--= VW Polo 1.9 TDi 2005 =--
--= VW Golf 5 GTi 2006 =-- (SOLD)
Jeep Wrangler 2.8 CRD - 460Nm!
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Thanks Shadow! Will try this week end :wink:
Marco

MeanTdi

DIY fitting a boost guage on a tdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Hey guys, anyone interested on how to fit a boost guage step by step?
Marco

babyboyvw
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Re: Boost guage on a tdi

Post by babyboyvw »

Oh ooh ooh pick me, pick me....... :D
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Cool!

Firstly, this is a DIY installation and i am not a qualified mechanic so every thing you do is at your own risk. O.K so that's out the way.

I have highlighted some points to be careful of, but the list is not comprehensive.

The most important area point is how to connect the pipe from the boost sensor to the boost pipe. I am sure the boost pipe is expensive and there is a lot a pressure there so there is no room for error and one must ensure an air tight and strong connection. I used a cheap but logically sensible bicycle tube valve as the connection:

Prepare the valve by removing the inner valve by cutting the copper part:

Practice drilling on an old pipe 1st using a drill slightly smaller than needed. In my case i used a 5mm drill. Drill where the connector will not rub against either the engine cover or the water botle. Make sure you leave a nice path for the pipe to run to the boost guage. You can always fill gently to make the valve fit tight and to create its own thread:

Next step is fitting the prepared valve. You will need to remove the boost pipe for this by removing the engine cover and unclipping the steel clasps at each end of the boost pipe. With the boost pipe removed wash out any oil to make the job easier and cleaner. Fit the connector from inside the boost pipe:

Use a long nose plier to tighten the connector on to the boost pipe and to create a thread into the plastic. Do not over tighten the connector or it will damage the thread you have just created. Now it is very important to wash out all pieces of plastic and dirt inside the boost pipe.

Next step is to secure the connector. I used a plastic number plate bolt as the connection will be plastic on plastic. Use an "o" ring to make sure it is air tight. Do not over tighten the bolt!!:

Now connect the tube and fit a cable tie onto it so it does not come lose or leak:

Refit the boost pipe by 1st cleaning around the pipes it connects to. Do not damage the clasps!! Run the pipe to the left of the car (you facing the car head on). Now here is where you will do much cursing and swearing and wishing you never wanted to fit the guage in the 1st place!! There is not much room but you need to find a path that does not cut the pipe. Run the pipe down the fender to the gromet that is between the two door hindges:

Next is to connect up the wiring. My gauge doubled up as a volt meter so i needed power from the key, power from the battery and an earth wire. The best way to get these and the most unobtrusive way is from behind the radio. Do not cut any wires!! Use a volt meter to see which wire you need. NB!!: disconnect the battery as you will now prepare to solder. Splice into the wire and solder the wires gently on to the required wires:

Find a place to fit you guage. I wanted a place high enough but not in direct vision as it can be very distracting. I used the centre tray to rest the guage inside it:

Double tape the gauge onto the tray and run the wires under it by running just over the edge. Make sure the wires are protected and do not cut when you refit the tray:

Connect the battery. Start the engine and make sure the pipes do not leak. Protect the pipe using plastic winding protector and cable tie it so it does not rub against anything:

Now go and enjoy your boost gauge!!
Marco

MeanTdi

Re: DIY: How to fit a boost guage on a tdi

Post by MeanTdi »

*BUMP*

DIY as promised

Cheers.
Marco

Titus
Captain

Post by Titus »

awesome write up, very well detailed. now i know how to do it :twisted: , just need to get me a gauge n decide on the place to put it.

Hey Nic, hope u read this dude. :wink:

'05 Velociti 1.4i
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Marco - Nice work bud, a true DIY job :wink: What boost gauge is that and is it TDi specific :?:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
MeTsU
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 7 months
Car Model: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDi Sportline
Membership No: 1644

Post by MeTsU »

Awesome post mate. :) DIY FTW! :)
2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty
babyboyvw
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 5 months

Post by babyboyvw »

Thats cool man, a real DIY job.

We need to arrange a get together for the polo guys. Do a photoshoot, take a drive and talk some kak about our cars and ideas.

What say you guys???
Dingo Dynamite
Wheel Whore
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by Dingo Dynamite »

Thanx Mean TDi. Babyboy can't that wait until I get my TDI?
I'm so hot my mom calls me son.
MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Titus i wrote:awesome write up, very well detailed. now i know how to do it :twisted: , just need to get me a gauge n decide on the place to put it.

Hey Nic, hope u read this dude. :wink:
Thanks Titus i, I am always available if you have any questions :wink:
Marco

MeanTdi

Post by MeanTdi »

Neuk wrote:Marco - Nice work bud, a true DIY job :wink: What boost gauge is that and is it TDi specific :?:
Thanks Nic, it took lot of research and practice.

There is no Tdi specific guage - as long as it reads up to at least 2.5 bar. This one reads to 3 bar so there is room for improvement for later developments. Its cool as it shows the battery meter as well. It flashes if the boost is over 1.5 bar for more than 3 seconds so helps in letting you know if you are over doing it. Easy to read as there is the display that show the boost in figures and also the leds light up in clockwise direction. Got it from AutoStyle - its called AutoGuage. Some say their guages are not accurate, but this seems accurate. It is digital as the boost pipe goes to a unit that translates info to the main unit.
Marco

Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

MeanTdi wrote:
Neuk wrote:Marco - Nice work bud, a true DIY job :wink: What boost gauge is that and is it TDi specific :?:
Thanks Nic, it took lot of research and practice.

There is no Tdi specific guage - as long as it reads up to at least 2.5 bar. This one reads to 3 bar so there is room for improvement for later developments. Its cool as it shows the battery meter as well. It flashes if the boost is over 1.5 bar for more than 3 seconds so helps in letting you know if you are over doing it. Easy to read as there is the display that show the boost in figures and also the leds light up in clockwise direction. Got it from AutoStyle - its called AutoGuage. Some say their guages are not accurate, but this seems accurate. It is digital as the boost pipe goes to a unit that translates info to the main unit.
VDO sells gauges that don't have any vaccuum, which are more in-line with what a TDi boost gauge needs :wink:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
Titus
Captain

Post by Titus »

agreed Nic, but they certainly not the best looking guages. So im gonna skip those.

'05 Velociti 1.4i
Neuk
Treasurer
Treasurer

Post by Neuk »

Titus i wrote:agreed Nic, but they certainly not the best looking guages. So im gonna skip those.
:shock: - I'll take a VDO gauge over an Autostyle anyday :!: Nice sleek look, rather than in your face, but cost 3x as much :wink:
Current Garage:

Previous Garage:
MeTsU
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 17 years 7 months
Car Model: 2005 Polo 1.9 TDi Sportline
Membership No: 1644

Post by MeTsU »

Neuk wrote:
Titus i wrote:agreed Nic, but they certainly not the best looking guages. So im gonna skip those.
:shock: - I'll take a VDO gauge over an Autostyle anyday :!: Nice sleek look, rather than in your face, but cost 3x as much :wink:
VDO FTW!!! But you'll :shock: when you see the prices...
2005 Polo 1.9TDi Sportline - Sooty