vr6 Starting problem

Forum for questions that are asked on a frequent basis...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
jetta2.8vr6

vr6 Starting problem

Post by jetta2.8vr6 »

A While ago i started a topic concerning the funny noise after starting the car and 2 sec afterturning the key it will just die again after a ...."PUFFFF" noise that sounds as if that comes out of your air filter. Anyways, loads of people gave there comments on what it might be and bla-bla-bla. Putting it on the VAG etc.

I bought the ignition switch which i thought it might be but after all the dismanteling i did not had the right clamp to get all the other stuff off which forced me to put everything back again. But what i did do was i pulled all the wiring out when dismanteling and made sure i put everything back decent so maybe over the years the plug to the ignition swith maybe did not make such nice contact. But one thing was that i cleaned with a ordenary cloth that BROWN ROUND THING THAT GOES OVER YOUR IGNITION SO IN OTHER WORDS WHEN YOU PUT YOU KEY IN IT GOES ALL AROUND THE KEY. You can see it imediately after taking the plastic cover off.
So anyone that experience the same problam,try this. It worked for me..
PUNK
Lieutenant
Membership No: missing

Post by PUNK »

i took off my plastic covers (more broke them off! they wer pratley'd shut! vw had th car last so thanks for that!). wel now i can see that brown plastic surround. how th phark do u get it off2clean it? im sitting with no covers and no bottom dash covers on. man i got so much > legroom now and i could use it :)

what else can i do/check while the covers are off? is there any risks of triggering the airbag? i dnt want 2 fiddle2much.
Current: 1996 Mk3 Gti 8v / Cloth Recaro's / mk4 bits / 9J Schmidt Modernlines / KW V1 coils
Ex: 1997 Golf VR6 - H&R's / 57mm zorst / mk4 gti bits / (194 bhp / 244 nm)
Ex: 2003 Mk1 1400
m3eater
Cadet

Post by m3eater »

well when i did it i went to take the ignition off which i did not succeed in. When you that far you already had to take you covers and steering wheel off and i even had the whiper arm and the flikcer/flash arm off (both arms on either sides of steering wheel. When you do see the brown thing it has one single wire that runs to the end of ignition switch. Or rather to that area and then you can just clip that wireing out rather easily and then you just unhook the brown thing if i can remember correctly. I cleaned mine with a plain cloth and don't know what else. And then did the opposite of all the above after. I think it probably just didn't make good contact anymore or just too much dirt in that area. Well good luck and i hope you have the same joy after like i had cause since then i still had no problems. Maybe it is just my luck.
if you wanna hang out with the dogs, don't p@%$s like a puppy.
PUNK
Lieutenant

Post by PUNK »

@ m3eater - thanks for the info. Do you have a vr and did you have the same problem and cleaning that brown thing fixed the problem?
Current: 1996 Mk3 Gti 8v / Cloth Recaro's / mk4 bits / 9J Schmidt Modernlines / KW V1 coils
m3eater
Cadet

Post by m3eater »

Yes i got a '96 Jetta VR6. I've got it for bout nearly 2 years already and learned allot from it. What a sweet ride.
Yes i did just that and it worked for me. I see there is allot of other VIRUS's out there with similar problem. I hope there's was as simple to fix as this. Like i said, it worked for me. And still smiling :D
PUNK
Lieutenant

Post by PUNK »

m3eater wrote:Yes i got a '96 Jetta VR6. I've got it for bout nearly 2 years already and learned allot from it. What a sweet ride.
Yes i did just that and it worked for me. I see there is allot of other VIRUS's out there with similar problem. I hope there's was as simple to fix as this. Like i said, it worked for me. And still smiling :D

sweet man. i see im going to hav problems getting that brown thing off. ive got an airbag so not keen on removing my steering wheel.

@m3eater & jetta2.8 - did u guys vag ur car or have any errors while u had the starting problem? im getting an immobileser, unrecognised key error. dnt hav a spare key2test it tho.
m3eater
Cadet

Post by m3eater »

i did yes and it came down to ignition switch. I bought it at goldwagon. Cheapest part i ever bought for the VR. So i figured out after taking everything off that you gotta have a nice clamp/press to take that particular fitting of to change the ignition switch. I gave up and started to plug all the wiring back. Like i said maybe it is the brown thing's wiring that just wasn't lekker or it needed to get unpluged and then pluged back. I DID A TEST WHILE AT IT. The brown round thing is the thing that reads your coded key. Even when i still had it pluged in but not around the ignition where you push the key in your car won't start but once you put it back at it's place where the key goes "threw" the brown thing then it will start.
PUNK
Lieutenant

Post by PUNK »

Sweet info ther! i replaced my intake pipe (i had a crack or 2) and coolant temperature sensor (cheapest part i bought 140 bux @ vw :))th weekend. doubt that wil do much but the starting has becomming worse now with this heat. wil hav2roll the dice and take it 2 yet another bosch autoelectrician to get it checked out. might have to get another key cut and coded 2.
m3eater
Cadet

Post by m3eater »

Well all i can say is good luck. I know it's not nice to get in your car and not knowing if it's gonna start or not. I took my car that time to a man there in Noordhoek that also organized to get a extra key cut for me. Was very helpful. Know it's far but if you interested i'll get there number for you. Let me know.
Tell me. Do you know anything about the fest that was gonna happen in P.E? What's happening?
PUNK
Lieutenant

Post by PUNK »

vw charges +- 450 for a new key and recode. going to try get it done this week. if that all fails off to some random autoelectrician for the 4th time. nah dnt no bout that PE event. just4fozi might have an idea he lives there.
PUNK
Lieutenant

Post by PUNK »

well the new key did the trick. cost me 800 bux incl remote and recode. ther r no words to how happy i am :-)