Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader
Registered for: 13 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
Membership No: 1639

Review - Soft99

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

So with a detail coming up on Friday the 18th of July, I drove out to Crazy Detailer on the 17th to pickup my new goodies. As usual, amazing service from them. They did not have Menz fg400 at the shop, I explained to them that Thursday is the latest to get my products ..... About 50mins later and I got confirmation that my order is ready for pickup :troll:

My products. Including the all new Soft99 Dark Fusso :cool:

I actually bought the Fusso to test on my Polo, but with the upcoming detail surprising me a bit I decided to use it on this Scirocco GTS. For some reason I thought the car I was going to detail would be white :oops:

So - onto Soft99 Dark Fusso - After reading the small article from CD I immediately started reading up some more and overall it seemed like the people is enjoying the product. You get the Fusso Dark for dark cars and then the Fusso Light for light colored cars.

I tested the product and must confess I was stunned by the results. It applies easy ( my first time applying LSP with hand ), wipes easy and it DOES have the filling ability that they claim them to have. Water beading, well that is just epic. Took this shot after pouring almost half a glass of water onto the paint

The finished product was just epic, more can be seen here - http://vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=176587

I will definitely recommend this product to anyone who loves detailing their cars at home.

Time to get myself the Fusso light now :cool:
My Youtube Channel

Tiguan Track & Field 4Motion

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Loud 'n Low, Rollin' Coal
Djin
Crazydetailer
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Re: Review - Soft99

Post by Djin »

Thanks Etienne

I only saw this post now.

I will just add the video here as well, so it is one place. :cool:

Email - Info@crazydetailer.co.za
Shop 8. WorldWear Center, Fairlands, JHB
Store Tel : 011 476 5409
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

I also tested this out this past weekend on my daily. My initial impressions are really great.

It goes on very easily and comes off just as easily
The smell is not as great as some boutique waxes, but it is also not bad
The wax has awesome filling capabilities.
It felt slightly less slick than Powerlock when feeling with a MF towel, HOWEVER, it sheeted water off way better
It looks great too - definitely added a little darkness to my blue Vivo and for what is supposedly a medium gloss wax, it was rather glossy indeed, especially given that I have done absolutely no correction on the paint in the 1 year of ownership
For the price I think this is an awesome purchase

I will try and knock together a proper review with pics etc ASAP but am now mostly curious to see what the durability is like....
Last edited by lawrence on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Agreed that it doesnt feel as slick as PL, but other than that this product is epic.
My Youtube Channel

20" Rotors l Airlift Performance l 63mm Downpipe and DPF Delete l PD-Tuning Software

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK l 76mm Stainless DP and FF l FMIC + Stainless Boost Pipes l Nitrous l PD-Tuning Software

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Kyle
General
Registered for: 10 years 11 months
Car Make: Porsche
Car Model: Adidas TYP 64
Membership No: 1922

Post by Kyle »

So it seems like this product has been getting great reviews, and I will also be trying it soon (time permitting :cry:)

I just find it odd that it's marketed as a wax... For me it seems like more of a glaze?
Current:
'03 BMW E46 330i Individual

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'70 VW Beetle 1600 Twin Port
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
E46 320i Individual MSport,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Kyle wrote:So it seems like this product has been getting great reviews, and I will also be trying it soon (time permitting :cry:)

I just find it odd that it's marketed as a wax... For me it seems like more of a glaze?
Does fill like a glaze, but with 12month protection as they claim ...
My Youtube Channel

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

Kyle wrote:So it seems like this product has been getting great reviews, and I will also be trying it soon (time permitting :cry:)

Glazes will fill but will never last or add any sort of protection. I would rate it more along the lines of a sealant than to a natural wax to be honest.
I also take the 12 month endurance with a pinch of salt. Too many variables affect endurance to claim an entire year. But I would be more than happy with even 6 months. I've never left my car with a single product for more than 3 months without getting the itch to redo! :crazy:

Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

Djin wrote:

Glazes will fill but will never last or add any sort of protection. I would rate it more along the lines of a sealant than to a natural wax to be honest.
I also take the 12 month endurance with a pinch of salt. Too many variables affect endurance to claim an entire year. But I would be more than happy with even 6 months. I've never left my car with a single product for more than 3 months without getting the itch to redo! :crazy:
Only one way to find out I guess, if I ever get a chance to wash my own car :crazy:
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

Why make things easy for yourself when you can make them incredibly difficult and complicated.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Something prudent to think about.....

It shouldn't matter what the label of a product states it is, or what it can do.... rather, what matters is what the product ACTUALLY does....
Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

lawrence wrote:Something prudent to think about.....

It shouldn't matter what the label of a product states it is, or what it can do.... rather, what matters is what the product ACTUALLY does....
I must disagree, people buy it for what it's classified as.
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Kyle wrote:
lawrence wrote:Something prudent to think about.....

I must disagree, people buy it for what it's classified as.
Okay let me rephrase.....

Sure, if you go out looking for wax and land up with a bottle that is labelled as a wax but actually contains tire dressing, you have every right to be upset.... :mad: :lol:

But I think that due to the intentional or unintentional misleading labeling from some manufacturers, we are often duped into believe a product does X when it actually does Y. Take for example Chemical Guys Blacklight.... it is often referred to as a glaze, but IMO a glaze should contain no abrasives and offer minimal protection, yet Black Light does contain abrasives and I have had customer reports 3 months protection. Another example...Meguiars white/black wax.... you would easily think it is a non-abrasive wax, when in actual fact it is a cleaner wax....Meguiars NXT Tech Wax - which is actually a sealant.... the list goes on....

I believe the issue is mostly related to the labeling of glazes/waxes/sealants where the lines become very blurry..... but I guess it could apply to other types of products too?

I guess what I am trying to say is that trying to fit a product into a specific category can be a little dangerous at times, especially if the product fits across multiple categories.... so rather worry about the results the product gives as opposed to what the label says....?
Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

There is a very grey line between polishes and glazes. Sealants and waxes. Products that bridge the gap between polishes/Glazes and Waxes/Sealants are referred to as AIO (All in ones)

But if somebody goes out and buys a wax, they are expecting protection. If they go out and buy a polish, they expect light cleaning and conditioning. Most marketing departments are guilty of misguiding the public esp on retail lines, and confuse simple basics like a polish vs a wax ! :bang:

I don't feel that labelling Fusso as a wax is misleading in any way. In most cases you will get more than you bargain for. :hurray:

lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Djin wrote:There is a very grey line between polishes and glazes. Sealants and waxes. Products that bridge the gap between polishes/Glazes and Waxes/Sealants are referred to as AIO (All in ones)

But if somebody goes out and buys a wax, they are expecting protection. If they go out and buy a polish, they expect light cleaning and conditioning. Most marketing departments are guilty of misguiding the public esp on retail lines, and confuse simple basics like a polish vs a wax ! :bang:

I don't feel that labelling Fusso as a wax is misleading in any way. In most cases you will get more than you bargain for. :hurray:
:iagree: In fact most waxes will fill to a degree anyway....
Kyle
General

Post by Kyle »

For sure... it seems really impressive.

I think the car community as a whole need more education, i remember in my noob days, I thought swirls meant that the car needed a wax :lol:

I've heard a few comments going around like "I don't need to send my car to a detailer anymore because that product will fix my swirls"

I think we need to be realistic in informing people what products like these really are/do.

Don't get me wrong, from the looks of it, it's a fantastic product...
Current:

Ex:
'06 Impreza 2.0R Wagon
'03 S3 8L
'11 A3 1.6TDi
'00 A4 2.4 V6,
'09 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T,
2013 Vivo Gran Turismo,
E36 M3 Coupe,
'98 Civic V Tec,
E36 318is Msport,
E30 318i Coupe,
GOLF MK1 GT

lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Kyle wrote:For sure... it seems really impressive.

I think the car community as a whole need more education, i remember in my noob days, I thought swirls meant that the car needed a wax :lol:

I've heard a few comments going around like "I don't need to send my car to a detailer anymore because that product will fix my swirls"

I think we need to be realistic in informing people what products like these really are/do.

Don't get me wrong, from the looks of it, it's a fantastic product...
Exactly - to oversimplify things....

Polish = sand your paint off to make it level again
Glaze = fill the swirls to temporarily hide them
Wax/sealant/coating = Protection

^^^ probably the mostly widely misunderstood concept out there that I have come across.....
Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

That's the beauty of an open forum. The point is to share knowledge and clear up mis-information.

There is only a level of filling that the product can do. As impressive as it is, it is not going to restore badly oxidised and swirled paint to show room condition, in one step.

I've always told anyone that has asked about Fusso, proper prep work will ensure best results with the product. Clay, polish first and then you will see amazing results.

Deranged_9n3
Darth Vader

Post by Deranged_9n3 »

Hardest for me is when someone says 'My car has been glazed before delivery'
My Youtube Channel

Polo TDi RaceCar

GTB2260VZK
13.2 1/4mile @ ODI

Barney
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Car Model: Mk3.5 Cabrio
Membership No: 1723

Post by Barney »

justed used soft99 on the cabrio. super happy with how it was to work with and remove. finish was really nice. need to get a beading shot sometime soon
Djin
Crazydetailer

Post by Djin »

Barney1212 wrote:justed used soft99 on the cabrio. super happy with how it was to work with and remove. finish was really nice. need to get a beading shot sometime soon
Just to put your post into perspective, I thought I would copy your before and after shot:

Steps, Clay then Polish/Glaze with PoorBoys White Diamond and then topped up with Fusso Light, all by hand!

From this:

To this ?

:hurray:

Jacques1397
Cadet
Registered for: 9 years 9 months
Car Model: Citi Rox 1.4i & Golf 5 GTI
Membership No: 1970

Post by Jacques1397 »

Hi

Want your guys opinion. Crazy Detailer awesome site and would love to order my stuff since i stay in Nelspruit. I have the following quoestion , what would be the best to start with in the products range since there is so many

Car Shampoo -
Clay -
Polish -
Wax -
Sealant -

Thanks guys , used to use mequiars but want more results and ultimate shine. Both my cars are white if that helps
Current :
2007 Golf 5 GTI

2008 Citi Rox 1.4i - Daily

Ex :
2009 Polo 1.8t GTI Stage 2
Crawler
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 18 years 9 months
Car Model: 9N3 Polo TDi
Membership No: 1358

Post by Crawler »

Jacques1397 wrote:Hi

Want your guys opinion. Crazy Detailer awesome site and would love to order my stuff since i stay in Nelspruit. I have the following quoestion , what would be the best to start with in the products range since there is so many

Car Shampoo -
Clay -
Polish -
Wax -
Sealant -

Thanks guys , used to use mequiars but want more results and ultimate shine. Both my cars are white if that helps
By hand I assume?

I like these and thins I have bought previously

1 x Collinite - Liquid Insulator Wax #845
1 x AUTOGLYM - Super Resin Polish - 325ml
1 x AUTOGLYM - Paint Renovator - 325ml

1 ea. CrazyDetailer Plush Microfiber Towel and Applicator Set
1 ea. Autoglym Rapid Detailer & Clay Lubricant + 100G clay bar
1 ea. CrazyDetailer Goldline Series - Ultra Soft Chenille Wash Mitt
1 ea. CrazyDetailer - Bulk PolyFoam Applicators (10 pcs)

Get a decent woolmit
Last edited by Crawler on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
EX:
CW Polo TDi Sportline
| Cross Polo wheels | LED Numberplate - Interior - Park light | NeVaG & Maldino | Dimsport |
Barney
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Car Model: Mk3.5 Cabrio
Membership No: 1723

Post by Barney »

shampoo - there is so much out there. people will hate me but i like my shield shampoo and wax
clay - clay magic worked a bomb
polish - you want to do this with a machine or your arms will die ( i am noob at polish)
glaze/ sealant - poor boys did an awesome job and smells awesome
wax - soft 99 is really good
Jacques1397
Cadet

Post by Jacques1397 »

Hi

Yes i have a Shield machine but the cheapy , prefer to do it by hand , i saw better results than with my cheapy machine LOL
Current :
2007 Golf 5 GTI

Ex :
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Yes i have a Shield machine but the cheapy , prefer to do it by hand , i saw better results than with my cheapy machine LOL
If it is one of those R300 orbital things, DO NOT use it on your paint... it will probably do more harm than good and is really at most only good enough to spread stuff over your paint, but I would still rather do that by hand anyway.

On to your questions...

Car Shampoo -
Clay -
Polish -
Wax -
Sealant -

Firstly, how do you define 'best'.... is it:

Cost
Ease of application
Looks
Durability
etc

^ What is best in my eyes may not be best for you.... but if I were to assume that best means best bang for buck then I would say:

Car Shampoo - Chemical guys maxi suds, because it is cheap when used as a shampoo (one cap to a gallon of water) and it works very well in a foam cannon too. You however can't go wrong with any of the shampoos offered on that site.

Clay - Claymagic has always been my favorite brand of clay.

Polish - a) you do not know that polishing is the act of abrading off your clear coat.... yip..... you are SANDING OFF YOUR PAINT.... b) based on a) I am not a huge proponent of advocating polishing yourself if you have not invested sufficient time into understand what this entails. Sure working by hand is a lot safer than by machine but it is still not completely idiot proof, and is a LOT OF GRAFT.....I would say that working by hand is probably harder to do properly than most people think [give this a read http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=176666 ] and so to help, I always recommend using a SMAT (singular Micro Abrasive Technology) product like Meguiars Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Compound - the reason is that the abrasive particles do not need to be broken down, and thus you can make 1 pass or many over the area you are working. If you chose to use a DAT (Diminishing Abrasive Technology) based polish, like Menzerna, you are 'forced' to work the product through its whole buffing cycle to ensure you properly break down the abrasives.... often this means MORE polishing than if you were using SMAT based polishes, and given that working by hand is hard work, SMAT products will make the job less physically demanding.

Always start with the least aggressive combo to get the job done (so you remove as little paint as possible) and maybe before you start REMOVING PAINT through polishing, you should look at FILLING the defects with a glaze?

Wax / Sealant - I have grouped these together because both are simply a form of protection, often refereed to as your LSP (Last Step Protection). To over-simplify things, waxes are natural and sealants are man made. As such waxes do not last as long (3 to 6 weeks) as the sealants (3 to 6 months) are formulated with cross linking polymers which will bond to the paint, increasing their durability. They will also offer a slightly different look to a wax.

So generally speaking people tend to favor waxes for showcars (where looks are important) and sealants for daily drives where protection is important.
There is also a school of thought that says that sealants will maximise gloss, which on white/silver cars is important as these colors do not lend themselves to deep reflections like darker colors do...

Often people will lay down a coat of sealant (as a durable base) and top it with a wax (to maximize looks) however this opens up a can of worms in that some products do not play well with others and can therefore strip the previous layer.

So..... my advice for a LSP:

Focussing on protection
Collinite 845 (will last many months, looks good and is CHEAP)
Menzerna Powerlock (slightly more expensive than collinite, may slightly outlast it, a bit more slick)

Focussing on filling ability (to hide swirls instead of filling) and fair protection
Autoglym SRP (fills like crazy, adds gloss, doesn't last too long)
Fusso coat (fair amount of filling, excellent sheeting, not sure on durability yet but expect 3 to 6 months)

Again, I cannot see anything that is available on Crazy Detailer being crap....so but a bottle of something, use it often and if you dig it, by more, if not try something else.... <- this is half the fun of detailing anyway :oops:

Hope this helps....
Jacques1397
Cadet

Post by Jacques1397 »

Lawrence you are the man !!! Thanks a lot. I used to use polishing compound of mequiars and just gold class wax from them as well but i want something more durable and more shiny. I will definitely try these options you gave me it helps a lot. The polishing machine i used before only once or twice but dont like it as there is no results and as you say , more scratches. Will go for a product that has filing ability as i need this at the moment rather than polish which is more high end. I am going after a show car finish but as you also said a white car doesnt have a deep shine. Will make sure i get something from the site and give it a try. Learnt a lot today regarding detailing etc. Cant wait to get started :hurray:

Thanks a lot bud :thumbup: :troll:
Current :
2007 Golf 5 GTI

Ex :