Best way to clean discolored white car

Car Care & Detailing Supplies MEGA Store
mk2fanatic
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Best way to clean discolored white car

Post by mk2fanatic »

Hi, i was just wondering if there is a chemical of sort that can be used to clean a white car, the car is a 2011 Scirocco, iv clayed and polished with menz sip and the car still seems to have a brownish tinge, I'm wanting to bring back that pure white look like when it was new. also boot hinge and surround is extremely stained, is there any easier way than sitting with compound a cloth and my finger lol ? Also whats the easiest way to clean around the badges ? Thanks in advance
Yakuza Racer
Voora Molester
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Membership No: missing

Re: Best way to clean discolored white car

Post by Yakuza Racer »

[insert Lawrence]

sub'd for info....

APC for badges and hinges

The white - i used the Megs ultimate compound and it removed some of the "yellow" from the paint... but awaiting the professionals
Thupercharged S4
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

mk2fanatic wrote:Hi, i was just wondering if there is a chemical of sort that can be used to clean a white car, the car is a 2011 Scirocco, iv clayed and polished with menz sip and the car still seems to have a brownish tinge, I'm wanting to bring back that pure white look like when it was new. also boot hinge and surround is extremely stained, is there any easier way than sitting with compound a cloth and my finger lol ? Also whats the easiest way to clean around the badges ? Thanks in advance
Firstly, please don't do this.... a compound is essentially an aggressive polish and as such will remove unnecessary amounts of clear coat. ALWAYS use the least aggressive method first. This is even more true in the door shut and boot shut areas, where the clear is sprayed MUCH thinner than the outer panels.

Secondly, read this.... and then read it again :cool: http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopic ... 0&t=166322

My guess is that you have contamination build up..... a common issue with white paint (actually it is on all paint, but more noticeable on white, for obvious reasons).

You say you have clayed....
what clay
what lube
did you do the baggie test before/after?
can you elaborate on your process?

To simplify it.... there really are only 2 options in respect of the brown tinge you are seeing.

Either there is stuff sitting on top of your paint (i.e. contamination that is bonded to your paint - think brake dust, paint overspray, tar deposits, industrial fall out etc). The removal of these above surface contaminants will comprise of one or all of the following:
Tar Removal through a dedicated tar remover
Iron Removal through a dedicated iron remover
Claying for the rest

Or you have dirt embedded IN the paint, in which case you may need to polish off a layer of the clear to reveal a fresh new (and embedded dirt free) layer. This option however comes with its own 'cons' in that EVERY time you polish paint, you remove some of it. And there is only so much (well actually so little) of it, that you want to do everything you can to preserve it.

As for door shuts, boot shut, badges etc..... quality brush, APC mixed at the right dilution ratio, HP washer and some patience.... Go read through any of the write ups I have done for cars I have detailed in the detailing section (http://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewforum.php?f=50) - almost all should have pics of before/after
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Another thing that will assist in the staining around the boot/door shuts is regular cleaning. Do it on every wash and the dirt doesn't have a chance to build up.

Regular maintenance is easy maintenance
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

@mk2fanatic

Any replies to my questions bud?

what clay
what lube
did you do the baggie test before/after?
can you elaborate on your process?
Mshengulala
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 2 months
Car Model: MK 6 GTI

Post by Mshengulala »

mk2fanatic wrote:Hi, i was just wondering if there is a chemical of sort that can be used to clean a white car, the car is a 2011 Scirocco, iv clayed and polished with menz sip and the car still seems to have a brownish tinge, I'm wanting to bring back that pure white look like when it was new. also boot hinge and surround is extremely stained, is there any easier way than sitting with compound a cloth and my finger lol ? Also whats the easiest way to clean around the badges ? Thanks in advance
If in Dbn book a detailing session with Lawrence. Surest way to get your paint in mint condition again
`12 CW MK6 GTI DSG-stock
`02 Polo Playa 1.8-stock
zain_c
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 2 months
Car Model: Accord + MK2 Jetta CSi

Post by zain_c »

lawrence wrote:baggie test
this?
2010 Honda Accord K24
1992 MK2 Jetta CSi

ex:
86 MK2 Jetta CLX
88 MK2 Golf CSL
14 6R Polo
97 Caddy
83 MK1 GTi
04 Citi 14.7 s2s Killarney
06 MK5 Golf
92 MK2 2.0 16v GTi Exec
88 MK2 CLi 1.9 16v 15.0 Killarney
96 MK3 GTS
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

zainyboymk1 wrote:
lawrence wrote:baggie test
this?
Are you asking what this is?
zain_c
Brigadier
Registered for: 14 years 2 months
Car Model: Accord + MK2 Jetta CSi

Post by zain_c »

yip
2010 Honda Accord K24
1992 MK2 Jetta CSi

ex:
86 MK2 Jetta CLX
88 MK2 Golf CSL
14 6R Polo
97 Caddy
83 MK1 GTi
04 Citi 14.7 s2s Killarney
06 MK5 Golf
92 MK2 2.0 16v GTi Exec
88 MK2 CLi 1.9 16v 15.0 Killarney
96 MK3 GTS
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

zainyboymk1 wrote:yip
This test is used to determine the level of contamination on your car.

Wash and dry the car
Then when you slide your bare hand across your paint it will feel relatively smooth.

Now take your hand and slip it inside a really thin plastic bag - the best ones are those thin clear packets that the packers at Spar sometimes put things in, before putting them into the actual plastic bag for your groceries. A bread packet will also work. Or a sandwhich bag.

Now slide your hand over the paint

I can almost guarantee that it will feel very rough. This is because the plastic bag prevents your skin from following the microscopic contours of the paint and thus allows you to actually feel the contamination.

So if your paint feels rough doing the 'baggie test', it needs to be decontaminated, either through the use of one or all of the following:

Tar removers
Iron removers
Claying

Once finished decontaminating, you re-wash/dry, re-do the baggie test and the paint should feel completely smooth
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

In fact, this baggie test is something I think every car owner should do.

I just wish I could be there to see your re-actions

Y'all will be like :eek: :fear:

:hurray:

Once you have actually felt it, start thinking about how light can possibly make its way through that contamination, bounce off the base coat, make its way back through the contamination to your eyes, without refracting in every direction (which mutes the reflections [and thus gloss]). It is akin to trying to see a clear reflection of yourself in a mirror with a whole lot of little bits of dirt on it....

Once you get your head around that, think about how any form of LSP (Last Step Protection [wax/sealant/coating]) will properly BOND to the paint. It won't, and therefore your LSP never lasts as well as it could.

Then think about the effect the contamination (which comprises all kinds of corrosive materials) has just sitting on your paint for extended periods of time.

Then think about how 99% of the people that polish cars never actually remove this contamination prior to polishing, and so just grind it back into your paint.

Decontaminating paint is important to maintain healthy (good looking) paint
mk2fanatic
Cadet

Post by mk2fanatic »

Good Morning .. Hey Lawrence, thanks for all the feedback, sorry only got to my computer now, been a bit hectic at work.

Ok so iv used meguairs clay with the meguairs lubricant.
Havnt done the bag test but paint feels quiet smooth to touch.
The boot hinges seem very discoloured but i don't think its because of the lack of maintaining, it seems it has something to do with the exhaust fumes because the car is properly washed a minimum of twice a week and also the the door hinges are about the same color as the outside of the car .
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

mk2fanatic wrote:Good Morning .. Hey Lawrence, thanks for all the feedback, sorry only got to my computer now, been a bit hectic at work.

The boot hinges seem very discoloured but i don't think its because of the lack of maintaining, it seems it has something to do with the exhaust fumes because the car is properly washed a minimum of twice a week and also the the door hinges are about the same color as the outside of the car .
I think the starting point should be to do the baggie test first and see if you have in fact remove the contamination through claying.

If you cannot feel any contamination with the baggie test, then there is a possibility that what you are seeing is iron contamination that is actually IN your paint. Remember that claying effectively shears off the piece of the contaminant protruding out the paint - it does not get to contamination which may reside below the surface - this is commonly iron deposits from hot brake dust which sinter into the paint on contact.

You could then use a dedicated iron remover such as AF Iron Out to remove these.

If the car still looks 'brown'ish', then you could look at a chemical paint cleaner, which may work by chemically breaking down the dirt which is ingrained in the paint structure - paint is a semi-permeable structure.

If that doesn't work, you may need to abrade off a later of the clear (polish it) thereby exposing a fresh and clean layer of paint.

Do the baggie test and come back with your findings.
StockPolo6R
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 6 months
Car Model: Polo 1.6 Comfortline

Post by StockPolo6R »

mk2fanatic wrote:Good Morning .. Hey Lawrence, thanks for all the feedback, sorry only got to my computer now, been a bit hectic at work.

Twice a week? By whom?
mk2fanatic
Cadet

Post by mk2fanatic »

Ok I've done the "baggie" test , the surface seems to very smooth.
I guess the next step is to order some iron out and see how that goes ?
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

mk2fanatic wrote:Ok I've done the "baggie" test , the surface seems to very smooth.
I guess the next step is to order some iron out and see how that goes ?
What part of the world are you in bud?
mk2fanatic
Cadet

Post by mk2fanatic »

Im in Pietermaritzburg
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

mk2fanatic wrote:Im in Pietermaritzburg
You ever down in Durbs?
mk2fanatic
Cadet

Post by mk2fanatic »

Yeah prob twice a month or so ..
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

mk2fanatic wrote:Yeah prob twice a month or so ..
Come through and see me and we can check out the car and figure out what is going on with the paint - I have all the products you need so once we know what works, you can grab some and continue DIY'ing restoring the paint.

Saves you dropping money on unecessary products