Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Headlight protection

Post by Sinbad »

Hi guys
I have a 99 merc with some pretty sad headlights. I'm sure that whatever protective coating was on them is now gone or will be as soon as I finish with the scratch x treatment.
Is there something I can put I to protect from uv ?

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.
StockPolo6R
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.6 Comfortline

Re: Headlight protection

Post by StockPolo6R »

I'm no pro :fear: but possibly Meg's Headlight Protectant. It has a few good and some decent reviews. Need to apply once every 6 to 8 weeks to renew protection though
Djin
Crazydetailer
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Djin »

Hi Sinbad

ScratchX will help the headlights but this will normally only remove oxidisation and not the pitting etc that one normally gets over time. If its just oxidation then go with ScratchX, I would even followup with PlastiX just to add a bit more sparkle.

Then for the most important bit, the protection. Go with a non abrasive, sealant. I say sealant rather than wax as most waxes contain petroleum solvents that will discolour clear plastic over time. Sealants, being synthetic are generally safer. Also the same applies to cars that have VPS over them. I would recomend topping up once every 4 months. Sealants generally last upto 6 months, but better to be safe.

Hope this helps.

Email - Info@crazydetailer.co.za
Shop 8. WorldWear Center, Fairlands, JHB
Store Tel : 011 476 5409
Sinbad
Post Whore
Registered for: 16 years 4 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: R170 AMG Hairdryer
Membership No: 1152

Post by Sinbad »

Djin wrote:Hi Sinbad

ScratchX will help the headlights but this will normally only remove oxidisation and not the pitting etc that one normally gets over time. If its just oxidation then go with ScratchX, I would even followup with PlastiX just to add a bit more sparkle.

Then for the most important bit, the protection. Go with a non abrasive, sealant. I say sealant rather than wax as most waxes contain petroleum solvents that will discolour clear plastic over time. Sealants, being synthetic are generally safer. Also the same applies to cars that have VPS over them. I would recomend topping up once every 4 months. Sealants generally last upto 6 months, but better to be safe.

Hope this helps.
Hi
Bi scratch-X I of course meant plast-x ... doh ;)
They aren't pitted, just dull. I was considering putting VPS over them once they're cleaned up...?

katotter wrote:Geezus, I wanna be his girfriend.