Car Care & Detailing Supplies MEGA Store
Cornel
Cadet
Registered for: 11 years 5 months
Car Make: BMW
Car Model: 320D

Right way to buff a car

Post by Cornel »

Okay as some of you know im going to spray james RX7 next weekend if weather old up fine.

Now the car will be standing overnight with lights and all that on it and then for 2 weeks before I touch it again.

I need to know how to cut and past the car? What products to use. car will be white

Also need to know with the black bits.

thanks for the advice
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Re: Right way to buff a car

Post by lawrence »

Ok so I don't wanna come across in the wrong way, but learning how to buff out a car is not something you are going to pick up over the forum. It in itself is an art form IMO and requires a lot of research and practice, especially when tackling someone else's car...

Have you ever mechanically buffed out a car before?

Do you know what type of paint will be used?

What equipment do you have for the buffing?
Cornel
Cadet

Post by Cornel »

lawrence wrote:Ok so I don't wanna come across in the wrong way, but learning how to buff out a car is not something you are going to pick up over the forum. It in itself is an art form IMO and requires a lot of research and practice, especially when tackling someone else's car...

Have you ever mechanically buffed out a car before?

Do you know what type of paint will be used?

What equipment do you have for the buffing?
Yes I know that's why im looking at videos and so on. but need some advice what to buy so that I can practice.

Yes I buffed a few things like gloss black mirrors, focus st lips, roofs and so on.

I have a buffer. cant remember what make will have to check.
then I will be using standox base with standox clear.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Well the short answer is that there is no 'right' way to buff a car as each car's paint is different.... and even on a freshly painted car like this, there will be variables such as how much clear coat is sprayed (and thus how much is available to you to remove during the buffing process), how long the paint needs to cure, is it a hard or soft clear etc etc.

Are you intending on using a dual action machine or a rotary? IMO if you plan on using a rotary and have limited experience with it it is VERY unlikely that you will finish out hologram free and, the chances of burning through the clear are very real. A dual action is a better machine to get into it with..... but the going is slower.

Have you ever polished out an entire car before? If so, what products did you use? Pads and actual products (polishes)

Is the paint urethane or water based?

I am not trying to sound negative here, but 'practicing' on a freshly painted car is probably not the best idea - why don't you grab a scrap panel or two to do some practicing on?

2 things to look at to aid you in your research..... google videas by Mike Phillips and 'Junkman'.
Cornel
Cadet

Post by Cornel »

I sued 3m rubbing compound on the black bits to get it gloss again. and no I haven't do an entire car before. this will be the first time. im a noob at this.
I only used meg polish on my car and it worked great.
I will check tonight what polisher I have, I have the sponge pads on at this moment.

its urethane based. think the clear will be fine as I do about 5-7 coats of clear to allow a few polishes
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

I would also suggest you read through all the posts in the detailing section on the forum.... you may also be able to pick up some info there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Cornel
Cadet

Post by Cornel »

lawrence wrote:I would also suggest you read through all the posts in the detailing section on the forum.... you may also be able to pick up some info there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
okay cool thanks a lot mate.
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

No problem bud

I don't mind trying to 'teach you' but I have literally spent a few years detailing and countless hours researching on a daily basis and so the transfer of knowledge will therefore take more time than I can give over the forum :cry:

Also, there is literally tons of info to learn in order to polish paint PROPERLY and which of the gazillion different polishes and pads to use when.

I suppose the most important advice I can give is to ALWAYS use the least aggressive method to get the job done - i.e. try a gentle polish before a heavy compound....use a foam pad before stepping up to a wool pad etc etc.

After you have done some research and still have some specific questions, just shout !
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html

A good place to start some 'research'
Crawler
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 18 years 9 months
Car Model: 9N3 Polo TDi
Membership No: 1358

Post by Crawler »

Lawrence posted this some time back

epic series of vids

https://www.youtube.com/user/Junkman2000?feature=watch
EX:
CW Polo TDi Sportline
| Cross Polo wheels | LED Numberplate - Interior - Park light | NeVaG & Maldino | Dimsport |
Cornel
Cadet

Post by Cornel »

thanks a lot guys.
Im getting the MENZERNA 400, MENZERNA 2500 and MENZERNA 4000 from crazy detailer. will meet him tomorrow night. then I will also get the pads for my machine. im going to sand the parts with 2000 then compound, wash, 400 and so on. but I first want to watch a bunch of videos. and test on my car.

when I used the compound everything was lekker glossy and smooth Im just looking at finishing it of proper. I will never have the time for detail like you Lawrence but I will spend time in getting the parts nice glossy.
Cornel
Cadet

Post by Cornel »

okay wait this is what im getting

FG400 + foam wool pad
PF4000 + Polishing pad
Menzerna Powerlock
Cornel
Cadet

Post by Cornel »

1 x Menzerna - Fast Gloss 400 (1L) (MFG400/1L)
1 x Menzerna - Lambswool Cutting Pad (150mm/6 inch) (MPPB/6)
1 x Menzerna - Yellow Polishing Pad (150mm/6 inch) (MPPY/6)
1 x Menzerna Final Finish (PO 106 FA) 1Ltr (PO106FA)
1 x Menzerna - Power Lock Polymer Sealant (473ml) (PL500)
1 x Flexipad 150mm Backing Plate M14 (Medium Density Foam backing) (36155)

Now I understand why a detail is so expensive :shock: