Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 6C 1.2TSI
Membership No: 1711

Big help needed

Post by Gforce »

Hi guys,

My fiance drove down Klipriver Road (travelling South) last Friday, in the DESIGNATED lane and my got absolutely covered in tar. I mean covered, not a few spots here and there. She took it straight to the car wash and had 4 guys working on it, they got most of it off but there is still PLENTY of this kak all over my car. I cannot even begin to tell you how upset I am.

Anyway, do you have any suggestions for me? Where can I take my car for a full detail to get rid of all this tar? I dont even want to attempt myself, i want it done professionally, every last little bit. Can you maybe help me out?

Thanks in advance guys

Current:
2015 Polo 1.2TSI Highline

Ex:
2014 Polo 1.4 Comfortline
2016 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT Double Cab
2009 A4 2.0T
2004 Golf IV GTi.:R
2003 Golf IV GTI
2006 Fiesta TDCI
2005 Jetta IV 1.8T.:R
2004 Clio Dynamique
2001 Citi Life
MaX
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 5 months
Membership No: 1802

Re: Big help needed

Post by MaX »

2014 BMW F30 335i(A) ActiveHybrid3
2015 Golf VII GTI DSG Performance Pack

ex:2011 Polo GTI DSG
2011Jetta 2.0 TSI (CAW)
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

Go have a look at who the company was that was working on that site. They have insurance for these kinds of things.

If the paint cannot be corrected then they will pay a panelbeater to respray the affected panels. Just make sure that you state you were driving the speed limits as indicated on the construction route.

Submit the claim to the company's head office or go the the site and ask to chat to the site manager. If he's a **** about it then contact their head office.
Hope you come right bud.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Dougi
Broekn Neuws Reportr
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Car Model: Seat Ibiza Cupra, TDI
Membership No: 1662

Post by Dougi »

This stuff works wonders. I have used it before.
Gareth I hope you come right bud
Current:
2008 Seat Ibiza Cupra(Soot Monster)

Ex:
2007 Polo 9n3 Tdi
EURO Polo Playa 1.8i
Opel Corsa GSI
Opel Corsa 130 / GSI Super Boss driven
Toyota Conquest 180 RSI
MaX
Lieutenant
Registered for: 12 years 5 months
Membership No: 1802

Post by MaX »

Dougi wrote:
This stuff works wonders. I have used it before.
Gareth I hope you come right bud
I am a big fan of AutoGlym!
2014 BMW F30 335i(A) ActiveHybrid3
2015 Golf VII GTI DSG Performance Pack

ex:2011 Polo GTI DSG
2011Jetta 2.0 TSI (CAW)
4ePikanini
Lieutenant
Registered for: 14 years 7 months
Car Model: Touareg R5
Membership No: missing

Post by 4ePikanini »

tool-in-a-can works as well. Don't rub too much as the tar usually catches dirt as well and rubbing hard will make you sandpaper you car.

spray on, leave a while rub off with toilet paper (single wipe only) repeat.....
My Touareg Build
2005 Touareg R5 Air & Bi-Xenon
Gforce
Cadet

Post by Gforce »

Thanks a million for all the suggestions guys. Autoglym looks like the answer!

I will also definintely be following up with whoever is responsible. Seriously, if I had got my hands on them on Friday, it would have been ugly.

I'll keep you all posted!

Quick one, what sort of damage would thinners do to your mag? I tried some and it worked wonders on the tar, but i obvioulsy dont want to be damaging the finish / clear coat and certainly have not used it on the paintwork.

Current:

Ex:
2009 A4 2.0T
2003 Golf IV GTI
2006 Fiesta TDCI
2004 Clio Dynamique
2001 Citi Life
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

I have used Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover and Autfinesse ObliTarRate the Autofinesse wins hands down.

http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index.ph ... cts_id=730

Also, I am not sure what damage has already been done by the car wash guys in terms of 'rubbing' the tar off.... but the correct process for heavy tar deposits is to spray the tar remover on, let is sit for a while (dont let it dry) and then wipe off gently with a MF cloth. Repeat as many times as necessary.

You will then need to follow up with a wax to re-protect the paint.

Hope you come right!
Gforce
Cadet

Post by Gforce »

lawrence wrote:I have used Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover and Autfinesse ObliTarRate the Autofinesse wins hands down.

http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index.ph ... cts_id=730

Also, I am not sure what damage has already been done by the car wash guys in terms of 'rubbing' the tar off.... but the correct process for heavy tar deposits is to spray the tar remover on, let is sit for a while (dont let it dry) and then wipe off gently with a MF cloth. Repeat as many times as necessary.

You will then need to follow up with a wax to re-protect the paint.

Hope you come right!
Visibly, no damage done by the car wash guys, everything looks in order. I think I'll be ordering a few products today!

Anyone else car to weigh in on Autoglym vs Auto Finesse?

Current:

Ex:
2009 A4 2.0T
2003 Golf IV GTI
2006 Fiesta TDCI
2004 Clio Dynamique
2001 Citi Life
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Gforce wrote:Visibly, no damage done by the car wash guys, everything looks in order.
When you say VISIBLE have you had it under some decent lighting (fluorescents/halogens) to look for scratches inflicted in the cleaning process....?
What type of car?
What color?

Gforce wrote:Anyone else car to weigh in on Autoglym vs Auto Finesse?
Bud, I doubt anyone else here has worked on nearly enough cars to warrant having 2 different tar removal products on hand, with the exception of perhaps the guys from CD themselves....to give you an honest comparitive test.
1. The AG tar remover does not come with a spray bottle so unless you have one laying around, budget for one of those too
2. It is in a smaller bottle, so you will need almost 2 per 1 bottle of AF - making it more expensive
3. The AG tar remover is not as effective at dissolving tar, which means it dries out before your tar has been fully dissolved, meaning you need multiple applications, meaning you use more product

Use it ..... don't use it....after all.... they are only my 2c :roll:
Gforce
Cadet

Post by Gforce »

lawrence wrote:
Gforce wrote:Visibly, no damage done by the car wash guys, everything looks in order.
When you say VISIBLE have you had it under some decent lighting (fluorescents/halogens) to look for scratches inflicted in the cleaning process....? Nope
What type of car? Audi A4 2009
What color? White

Gforce wrote:Anyone else car to weigh in on Autoglym vs Auto Finesse?
Bud, I doubt anyone else here has worked on nearly enough cars to warrant having 2 different tar removal products on hand, with the exception of perhaps the guys from CD themselves....to give you an honest comparitive test.
1. The AG tar remover does not come with a spray bottle so unless you have one laying around, budget for one of those too
2. It is in a smaller bottle, so you will need almost 2 per 1 bottle of AF - making it more expensive
3. The AG tar remover is not as effective at dissolving tar, which means it dries out before your tar has been fully dissolved, meaning you need multiple applications, meaning you use more product

Use it ..... don't use it....after all.... they are only my 2c :roll:
Alright great, thanks for the advice, very much appreciated! :wink:

Current:

Ex:
2009 A4 2.0T
2003 Golf IV GTI
2006 Fiesta TDCI
2004 Clio Dynamique
2001 Citi Life
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Pleasure

Ok fortunately for you white Audi paint is generally pretty hard, so hopefully the rubbing done at the car wash had not inflicted any major scratches into the paint.

If I were you though, and you intend on any sort of claim for damage sustained, have a very CLOSE and CAREFUL look, under decent lighting, to inspect for damages.
Gforce
Cadet

Post by Gforce »

lawrence wrote:Pleasure

Ok fortunately for you white Audi paint is generally pretty hard, so hopefully the rubbing done at the car wash had not inflicted any major scratches into the paint.

If I were you though, and you intend on any sort of claim for damage sustained, have a very CLOSE and CAREFUL look, under decent lighting, to inspect for damages.

What suggestions do you have in terms of resealing the surface afterwards?

Current:

Ex:
2009 A4 2.0T
2003 Golf IV GTI
2006 Fiesta TDCI
2004 Clio Dynamique
2001 Citi Life
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

The short version or the long version? :lol:

Ok seriously... the short version.... get some wax on there. Any wax is better than no wax.... BUT better wax is well.... better....

The longer version goes something like this.

You shouldn't wax an unpolished car (or all you will be doing is sealing in dull looking paint)
You can't polish paint that is not free of bonded contaminants (or you will scratch the paint)
You can't clay (to remove the bonded contaminants) a dirty car (or you will scratch the paint)

So you need to:
Wash
De-Tar
Clay
Polish
Wax

The above can be done by hand or by machine (which will obviously yield better results)

What products and how to go about it will depend on your budget, how much time you want to invest in properly maintaining your paint and if you are working by hand or machine....

Do you currently ever wash your car yourself or is it done at a car wash?
If you wash yourself, with what tools (rag/chamois etc) and what product (sunlight/dedicated car shampoo?) and how (1 bucket/2BM?)
Have you ever had your car polished.
If yes, by who?
If by you, how?
Do you ever wax?
If yes, with what and how often?
Have you ever clayed the car?
Gforce
Cadet

Post by Gforce »

I normally have my car washed at work by a team of ladies.

I'm actually not sure what rags etc they use (my bad). I have it washed once a week and I have not had it polished / waxed or clayed since I bought it (about 5 months ago).

I am not scared to spend a bit of time doing this properly. I dont want to spend a fortune, but I understand that this will cost a bit.

If you could suggest middle of the range products?

Current:

Ex:
2009 A4 2.0T
2003 Golf IV GTI
2006 Fiesta TDCI
2004 Clio Dynamique
2001 Citi Life
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Ok

the MOST important bits to get your head around are

1. Poor washing and drying technique accounts for 80% of the swirl marks in your paint
2. Even with proper washing, there is some stuff that won't come off your paint (tar deposits, brake dust, tree sap etc). For this you need to clay the car.
3. How often you clay depends on what your car is exposed to, but on average a daily driver needs it around twice a year
4. Claying will leave behind its own micromarring (very fine scratches). Depending on the color of the car, they may be very visible or hardly noticeable.... Black and other darker colours show ALL defects, no matter how small.... white/silver etc is very difficult to see
5. Polishing can vary in aggressiveness from very (to remove deep swirls/scratches) to medium (some swirl removal) to light. It can be done by hand or machine, with machine being more capable at defect removal
6. Waxing or sealing is like putting sun block on your skin,....it protects the paint from drying, cracking and fading. It also acts as a barrier between your paint and the elements.

If it were me, I would get my car detailed properly by someone who knows what they are doing first.... and then look at maintaining it yourself. If that is not an option and you want to do it by hand your self, that is also ok.

First, let's look at maintenance, which you will need to do either way...

Your weekly wash goes something like this....

1. Wash wheels first (cos they are dirtiest)- Remember wheels that have been waxed will be easier to clean than those that haven't. If waxed, you can use car shampoo to clean. If not, you may need a dedicated wheel cleaner.

2. Rinse car to remove loose dirt

3. Wash using a decent wash mitt http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index.ph ... cts_id=634 and any PH neutral car shampoo. Follow the 2BM for washing ****very important****

4. Rinse followed by sheeting method to aid drying http://www.crazydetailer.co.za

5. Dry using only a waffle weave drying towel http://www.crazydetailer.co.za/index.ph ... cts_id=633

If you want to get your car detailed by someone else first, let me know what area you are in and maybe I can help

If you want to detail your car yourself.... I would like to suggest that:

1. You start reading through some of the threads I have posted in the detailing section,.... This will give you some insight as to what is involved.
2. Decide if you want to go the machine or by hand route
3. Let me know what sort of money you want to throw at it either way and I can recommend you some products
MR speed
Enlisted
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by MR speed »

Howzit guys

Does any 1 know how to change a park light globe in a Polo gti 6R ?

Please email mo7864@gmail.com

Thanks guys.