dylanphelan
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 7 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: TDI 96KW

Random electronic issues

Post by dylanphelan »

Hi

I have a 1.9 TDI Highline, 96kw - 2009 model. Looks like I may just be out of extended warranty.

I've been experiencing random electronic issues for some time now. Today I was out in the Karoo, needing to get back to Cape Town and couldnt get the fuel tank cover open. That was rather worrying.
Ended up calling VW and they told me to try pushing the unlock button on the key twice - luckily that worked. I have never had to do that before though.

Also - my doors automatically lock shortly after stopping driving. The passenger door is however popping up immediately after locking. This happens about 50% of the time. It locks properly when I lock the car.

similar story with the drivers window, now and again it will close 80% of the way, then start opening again. After 2 or 3 attempts it closes properly.

Do these sound like physical issues, or is there perhaps a software / firmware upgrade that needs to be done?

Perhaps some of you have experienced similar issues. Besides that the car is great. Never spent anything on it besides services and general maintenance like tyres and shocks.

Thanks!
2009 Polo 1.9 TDI 96kw (4dr hatch version)
dylanphelan
Cadet

Re: Random electronic issues

Post by dylanphelan »

Sorry, but just bumping this up. Any feedback pls?

I THINK I have an extended warranty valid until 22 Aug

I am trying to push VW (NTT Paarl) on the matter, but not getting much feedback.

I had such issues with after sales issues, sales agreement mistakes etc - they had to send someone out to me to sign an agreement with the correct extended warranty. I never got a copy of this.

My arrangement with the sales lady who is no longer with them was that it would be 4 yrs. I therefore expected expiry on 22 Aug 2017 ( 5 days from now)
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 6 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Just see who provided the warranty.

The lock mechanism usually just needs to be adjusted as the might be rubbing on something.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
dylanphelan
Cadet

Post by dylanphelan »

but so many little electrical things, like for example - tonight i stopped at the shops, turned the car off and left the lights on.
I opened the door.
It is supposed to start beeping to remind me to turn off the lights, but it didn't. It works on and off.

Isn't there perhaps some kind of software upgrade or reset that controls these kinds of things? much like my phone misbehaves when it needs a software or firmware upgrade haha?!?
dylanphelan
Cadet

Post by dylanphelan »

So, I spoke to VW - Barons Foreshore this morning. They say these are all seperate maintenance issues and not software related.

I then called an auto electrician in bree street, they couldn't help, but said they know of someone called Louis who works out of a workshop near Fruit and veg , roeland street - CPT. Anyone have his details?

Or know of someone who can fix these kind of issues? they are intermittent, so not really too urgent at the moment. Vw said some these issues could be related to the driver door lock - although it locks perfectly every time, it might not be triggering things like the light signal to beep etc.