Amarok 2011/2012 timing belt cover issues

269st
Enlisted
Registered for: 8 years 1 month

Amarok 2011/2012 timing belt cover issues

Post by 269st »

Hi... Who has had an engine failure due to the serpentine belt shredding and going through the timing belt cover??? ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Re: Amarok 2011/2012 timing belt cover issues

Post by MrMazda »

Is this not what happened the 1st year Voetspore used Amaroks? A VW technician was flown to mid Africa with a new head, cambelt etc to fix it.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Tiguan Allspace
Membership No: missing

Post by amstel18 »

AS far as i know there was a campaign for this.

If your vehicle was regularly serviced at VW then they would have fitted the revised timing belt cover. Even out of warranty.

My Amarok has the serpentine belt snap and get into the cambelt. Luckily the cambelt didn't snap. Bakkie got towed to the nearest dealer. They replaced the belts under service plan and replaced the cover under campaign even though it was out of warranty already.

They campaign was released sometime between the time it was last serviced and when it occurred. But it was sometime early in 2014. Vehicle was out of warranty due to mileage not age.
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
2013 Audi A3 Sportback 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic
2015 Pure White 1.2tsi Comfortline
2011 2L BiTdi ROK D/C Highline
2006 Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI
91 Caddy, ADY motor on mp9, wildcat 4-1 branch and 50mm Evolution s/s exhaust
96 1600 Chico (sold)
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 6 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

Happens on Transporters too. Had one such failure, VW tried to make us pay R57k but in the end they paid for it as the vehicle had a know problem with belts snapping before the 120000km change. Also didnt help the vehicle went for a 90000km service not long before failure and we requested a check after others had failures.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
waynec1961
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 8 months
Car Model: Amarok 2L BiTdi 120kw Highline

Post by waynec1961 »

I have 2011 Amarok 2.0 BiTdi 120kw D\Cab PU Highline vehicle, and am waiting with, baited breath, for the response from VWSA, on whether or not they are going to assist in the repair of my vehicle, that has just shredded a piece of the serpentine ribbed main belt, and cast it into the Cam Belt enclosure, thus throwing the timing out, and bending twelve valves. This is the third time that the belt has broken since I bought the vehicle in 2014. On the VW Club forum, I found a post, on this forum, here below, pointing out that VWSA flew a Technician up to the Voetspore Amarok tour to Egypt in 2014, with a complete head, and repaired the vehicle within a day, and got it running again. Link Below. https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=195370
Since then, VWSA have brought out a revised Cam Belt Cover, which is supposed to prevent this kind of disaster in future, Sadly the Customers, Clients owners of the 2011/2012 Amarok range, are oblivious of this information.
In a nutshell, the Amarok owners have to foot the bill, for a VW design Flaw???????
Hoping that VWSA are going to Own their mistake, and really going to Assist in my dilemma.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

waynec1961 wrote:I have 2011 Amarok 2.0 BiTdi 120kw D\Cab PU Highline vehicle, and am waiting with, baited breath, for the response from VWSA, on whether or not they are going to assist in the repair of my vehicle, that has just shredded a piece of the serpentine ribbed main belt, and cast it into the Cam Belt enclosure, thus throwing the timing out, and bending twelve valves. This is the third time that the belt has broken since I bought the vehicle in 2014. On the VW Club forum, I found a post, on this forum, here below, pointing out that VWSA flew a Technician up to the Voetspore Amarok tour to Egypt in 2014, with a complete head, and repaired the vehicle within a day, and got it running again. Link Below. https://www.vwclub.co.za/forum/viewtopi ... 2&t=195370
Since then, VWSA have brought out a revised Cam Belt Cover, which is supposed to prevent this kind of disaster in future, Sadly the Customers, Clients owners of the 2011/2012 Amarok range, are oblivious of this information.
In a nutshell, the Amarok owners have to foot the bill, for a VW design Flaw???????
Hoping that VWSA are going to Own their mistake, and really going to Assist in my dilemma.
If your vehicle has fsh at vw, then they would have replaced the cambelt cover as it was a service campaign and not a recall.

Mine was done at a service. Broke the serpentine belt and no damage to the cambelt because of the revised cover.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L22 using Tapatalk
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
waynec1961
Enlisted

Post by waynec1961 »

Yes they do in fact have the full service history, but I don't think they changed the cover, or else, this would not have happened.
amstel18
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by amstel18 »

waynec1961 wrote:Yes they do in fact have the full service history, but I don't think they changed the cover, or else, this would not have happened.
Then fight them on this. They should offer you a goodwill claim.

My service book had two Service campaign stickers. One for the cambelt cover and 1 for the Diff sensor. Maybe the VW dealership slipped up
Current:
2022 GWM P-Series LT 4x4
Ex:
2018 VW Tiguan Allspace
96 1600 Chico (sold)
waynec1961
Enlisted

Post by waynec1961 »

Still waiting to hear from VWSA, hopefully by today I might get a final answer.
waynec1961
Enlisted

Post by waynec1961 »

Finally got a reply from VWSA, you can't believe that they would blow a Customer off like this. They used all kinds of excuses of, (no record of being serviced by VW dealership, non VW genuine parts being used to repair Air-con, the damage could have been avoided by replacing the worn out tensioner, the damage is attributed to the worn out belt tensioner) BUT no mention is made of the design flaw, ie: the revised cam belt cover which was introduced in 2012. This revised cover, caused quite a stir, vehicles in the UK and Australia being recalled for cam belt exchange. QUESTION?????? what is South Africa different from the UK and Australia, when ALL the VW Amaroks come from the same place, MANUFACTURER, GERMANY!!!!!
I simply don't care how GOOD the Amarok is, I have grown to love my Amarok, and enjoyed it, BUT if this is how VWSA look after their customers, I want no part of it. There are other brands out there ie TOYOTA, which are just as good, if not better, drove them for between 25 to 30 years, and thought it good to try the VW brand, only to be sorely disappointment. Bottom line, my serpentine belt had broken twice, prior to this incident, once before the 120 000 km mark, what if that belt had then gone into the cam belt enclosure, and caused the same damage as is currently the case. What would have been said then. Would they then then have replaced the cam belt cover, with the revised cover, OR, made some other lame excuse.
DOWN, VW, DOWN, WASTE OF MONEY INVESTING IN THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!
Kavi4GP
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 9 years 6 months
Car Make: Toyota
Car Model: Corolla D4-D
Membership No: 2016

Post by Kavi4GP »

waynec1961 wrote:Finally got a reply from VWSA, you can't believe that they would blow a Customer off like this. They used all kinds of excuses of, (no record of being serviced by VW dealership, non VW genuine parts being used to repair Air-con, the damage could have been avoided by replacing the worn out tensioner, the damage is attributed to the worn out belt tensioner) BUT no mention is made of the design flaw, ie: the revised cam belt cover which was introduced in 2012. This revised cover, caused quite a stir, vehicles in the UK and Australia being recalled for cam belt exchange. QUESTION?????? what is South Africa different from the UK and Australia, when ALL the VW Amaroks come from the same place, MANUFACTURER, GERMANY!!!!!
I simply don't care how GOOD the Amarok is, I have grown to love my Amarok, and enjoyed it, BUT if this is how VWSA look after their customers, I want no part of it. There are other brands out there ie TOYOTA, which are just as good, if not better, drove them for between 25 to 30 years, and thought it good to try the VW brand, only to be sorely disappointment. Bottom line, my serpentine belt had broken twice, prior to this incident, once before the 120 000 km mark, what if that belt had then gone into the cam belt enclosure, and caused the same damage as is currently the case. What would have been said then. Would they then then have replaced the cam belt cover, with the revised cover, OR, made some other lame excuse.
DOWN, VW, DOWN, WASTE OF MONEY INVESTING IN THIS PRODUCT!!!!!!
Just step it up to NCC now , long as service history they have to fit the bill , send all replies and emails to them. You tried now VWSA can deal with NCC.

Aircon will not affect cambelt and the service checks where not done at dealers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Current:
2017 Toyota Corolla D4-D Ultimate Performance Tuned
2013 A3 1.6 TDi S-Tronic 8V.1

EX:
2014 Polo 1.2 TSI Comfortline CPi Tuned
2013 Ford Focus 2.0 Sport
2011 Hyundai i20 1.4
2006 Toyota RunX
waynec1961
Enlisted

Post by waynec1961 »

Sorry man, call me stupid, but when you say NCC, who are they, and where can I source their contact details.
MrMazda
Cadet
Registered for: 8 years 7 months

Post by MrMazda »

National Consumer Council, I would also try the Motor Industry Ombudsman.
waynec1961
Enlisted

Post by waynec1961 »

THANKS! Have a great one!!!
justin.pringle
Enlisted
Registered for: 6 years 7 months
Car Model: Amarok

Post by justin.pringle »

Hi Wayne,

My Amarok has literally just done the same thing so I guess I will be following your route. Do you have an email or something I can contact you, perhaps two people might make the fight a bit stronger? I am based in Durban, but had all the damage done up in Botswana... pretty bummed!
waynec1961
Enlisted

Post by waynec1961 »

Check out the VWAmarok.net Forum, I am there as well. I have uploaded the response from VWSA there, and My response to their response in turn. The addresses and contact details will be in those letters. I don't know how to attach documents on this forum, that is why I uploaded it on VWAmarok forum. VWSA Factory Customer Interaction Centre number 041 996 6609 and mail address is support@vwconnect.co.za
conroydp
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 11 months

Post by conroydp »

Hi Wayne,

I've just had the same thing happen to me. I had to purchase a new block, new valves, send to engineering works to have valves seated, etc. (needless to say at huge personal expense) I called the VWSA Customer Interaction centre, spoke with Delray who escalated it to all relevant stakeholders. Received feedback from her yesterday that VWSA is not aware of any Service Campaign for installation of the timing belt cover on the Amarok 2011 model. I find it incredible that they deny any knowledge if this issue after countless Amarok owners worldwide had this happen to them.

After the call from VWSA I compiled a mail with links (including yours) where this issue was encountered by Amarok owners worldwide (including the Voetspore occurence where they also had to replace the engine block). It seems that this issue was treated way more seriously by VW in Australia where they had a Service Campaign to install a timing belt cover to prevent this from recurring.

My vehicle has a full service history at VW, however, their initial response was that they refuse to take any accountability for selling and marketing a product that is not fit for purpose.

I just had another call from Delray at VWSA Customer Interaction centre, thanking me for my mail and mentioning that she has escalated the matter again and is awaiting feedback. Let's hope for a more positive final outcome.

Can you please let me know the outcome of your case. My e-mail address is conroydp at hotmail dot com
DirkVoges
Enlisted
Registered for: 5 years 3 months

Post by DirkVoges »

Hi all

I have had a bad run with my 2012 amarok

Not only have i full vw service history.

It only has 89000km on.

And also have i asked for a timing belt change with the last service and the vw service agent in Postmasburg advised me against it.

Now, i have a vw i cannot use and im waiting for this mega monster bill to come.

:deadhorse:
Glawler
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 9 months

Post by Glawler »

Hi
I have just had the same issue with my 2012 Amarok
Belt snap in 2016 90 000kms , repair cost just R 9000
Belt snap again @ 150 000kms Repair cost R 44 000
Full service History from VW

Have you any luck from VW SA ?
Firefoxenator
Enlisted
Registered for: 4 years 2 months

Post by Firefoxenator »

...and I too have just joined this unlucky club!

My 2013 Amarok stripped the timing belt at 97,000km....unfortunately last inspection service was performed outside VW (as was out of service plan...and only an inspection so I thought) and VW have essentially stated "tough luck". They did imply if I had full VW service history (I do, besides the last damn service) they would have been able to assist. But easy for them to state now.
Interestingly, they said there was a campaign for Amarok's used in dusty conditions to install a dust cover, due to increased wear of belt...but said I did not fall within their criteria for the campaign.

Luckily, engineers report has returned saying no damage to head, so planning on replacing valves, cams, rockers. Very unpleasant start to 2020!