Driven - 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI (66kw) Comfortline

This forum is dedicated to various tests performed on Volkswagen vehicles...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting in the Technical section as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

Technical Section Rules
AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Registered for: 12 years 6 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Driven - 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI (66kw) Comfortline

Post by AlexTDi »

I'm currently in the market for a new car and I stumbled upon a great deal offered by Volkswagen South Africa​, I went through to Hatfield VW Bryanston​ and was offered a Polo 1.2TSI (66kw) Comfortline to use for a day in my daily commute as that is the ultimate test to see if the car would be suitable for me.

Coming out of a BMW 320d with all the bells and whistles and a lot more power, I was slightly hesitant but I took them up on the offer and collected the car yesterday afternoon. At first the car felt a bit sluggish but I also had to adapt to the way the 1.2 petrol turbo motor delivers it's power. The moment I started using the car efficiently I was rewarded with great power delivery and a very lively motor powering through all the gears and ultimately matching what I was used to in my 320d with little effort.
The clutch and gearbox is precise and perfectly matched to the little 1.2 turbo power plant.

On my 43km daily commute home I experienced the ever welcoming Joburg traffic so this gave me some time to play with the features of the car, The Comfortline comes standard with a 5" Colour touchscreen radio with bluetooth, aux in, SD card slot and 6 very impressive speakers which sound way better then the standard systems offered in most cars today. The phone function is just epic, you can import all your contacts and easily dial them from the radio or using the controls on the multi-function steering wheel, The on board computer displays literally everything! You can easily make a call using the steering wheel, check just about everything you would need on what the car is doing and how much fuel you are using, it's simply an epic combo which you normally only see on high-end vehicles. Hill hold assist comes standard which makes pulling off very simple and you never have to worry about the taxi leaving only a paper thin space at the robot. All the other safety features you could imagine all comes standard so If safety is your concern you need not worry with this Polo. as for the traffic, the little Polo managed to navigate it with ease overtaking when required and returned a very appealing 5.9L/100km which is better then most diesels I've driven!

The morning commute with less traffic produced even better results at 5.1L/100km which is equivalent to 880km's out of a 45L tank! My commute consists of 70% Highway and 30% back roads, I also didn't baby the car at all.
My driving style isn't at all drive slow and return a lower fuel consumption, I'm the guy on the fast lane flashing you if you aren't doing 120 km/h. So depending on your driving style the economy could get better.

This test unit came with a few optional extras like Auto lights, rain sensor and coming home feature which is a package I would recommend getting for the R3700 additional cost. Upgraded alloy wheels which improve this already stylish car and park distant Control front and rear which shows up on the radio system, works really well and looks cool but if you can't park a Polo rather look at buying a bicycle. It didn't come with a Panoramic Sunroof which I would like to try out as previous experiences with them makes a very noisy ride on the highway.

Sadly I have to return this impressive Polo this morning but overall all I can say is VW have considerably improved from the previous models and the Polo's aren't a "budget" car anymore, The 66kw motor is just epic, the standard creature comforts make this car well worth the price and I would recommend getting one.

If you haven't see the current offer of R2399p/m with a Guaranteed future value and 5.62% interest for this car then I suggest you check out this link http://www.vw.co.za/en/purchase-and-fin ... ffers.html and contact Lewellyn Le Roux at Hatfield VW Bryanston on 011 840 8000

Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

Daily: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89
TDISmoker
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VAG
Car Model: 6R GTI | LC

Re: Driven - 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI (66kw) Comfortline

Post by TDISmoker »

This is a great write up, I am just worried about the small motor, will it last for 150k km? And where will you get 5.62% interest rate?

I am sure they are nippy and really fun to drive, especially the dsg version.
2018 Toyota Tuna

Ex:
2014 Polo 6R GTI | Xenons, DRL's | Pano Roof | LED Fogs | LED Interior
2016 Ford Ranger met lekke tekke!
2007 9n3 Sportline 129wkw 445nm
2003 VW Chico
Silverbird_96Kw
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years 5 months
Car Model: Mk7 Golf R
Membership No: 1643

Post by Silverbird_96Kw »

Nice write up there bud, I would not mind owning one or even to get something like that for the SO.

But its like TdiSmoker says/asks the interest rate wont necessarily be 5.62% for everyone, that's all dependent on ones credit profile?

Johan, get this for your SO and give me the Smoker :hug:
Current

15 VW Golf R

Ex
15 VW Passat 2.0TSi Rline
17 VW Polo 1.2TSi Highline
17 VW Golf Mk7.5 GTi
15 Audi A3 Sedan 1.8TFSI Stronic
11 VW Roc 2.0TFSI DSG
06 Audi A3 2.0T
08 BMW E90 320D
10 Audi A3 1.8T FSI
12 VW Golf 6 1.4 TSI Comfortline
06 Vw Polo 1.9 TDI Sportline
SemiColon
I sparkle in the sunlight
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: Volvo
Car Model: S40 T5
Membership No: 1641

Post by SemiColon »

TDISmoker wrote:This is a great write up, I am just worried about the small motor, will it last for 150k km? And where will you get 5.62% interest rate?

The interest rate is through VW financial services if I am not mistaken.
八拾六
TDISmoker
Cadet
Registered for: 10 years 3 months
Car Make: VAG
Car Model: 6R GTI | LC

Post by TDISmoker »

Silverbird_96Kw wrote:Nice write up there bud, I would not mind owning one or even to get something like that for the SO.

But its like TdiSmoker says/asks the interest rate wont necessarily be 5.62% for everyone, that's all dependent on ones credit profile?

Johan, get this for your SO and give me the Smoker :hug:
This is the plan dude. If i can get a good deal I would consider.

Sent from my 30-06 using #Barnes TSX
2018 Toyota Tuna

Ex:
2014 Polo 6R GTI | Xenons, DRL's | Pano Roof | LED Fogs | LED Interior
2016 Ford Ranger met lekke tekke!
2007 9n3 Sportline 129wkw 445nm
2003 VW Chico
AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

TDISmoker wrote:This is a great write up, I am just worried about the small motor, will it last for 150k km? And where will you get 5.62% interest rate?

That interest rate is set in stone, Obviously you have to have a credit profile and not someone coming out of school.

If you add extras it starts to change slightly but like the Highline DSG I'm going for the offer is 7.6% and I managed to get 6.8% on my credit profile and it's not like I do anything special, I'll probably get 10 - 12% if I get a 2nd hand/demo model.
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport

AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

The car comes standard with a 3 year/120k km warranty and 3 year/45k km service plan
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport

MarshallGTi
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 13 years
Car Make: Seat
Car Model: Ibiza 1.9TDi FR
Membership No: 1665

Post by MarshallGTi »

good write up Alex, glad to see a new car deal that seems to be above board for a change.
It is an ingenius solution to a problem that should have never existed in the 1st place...

Ibiza FR

Ex's:
ShoeBox
(o\!/o)
My mk2 16v
EX-DOHCTOR wrote: I'd make sure I understand the differences between fish and engine components before attempting any modifications on my motor vehicle as a start. :lol:
Psycho1400 wrote:It wasn't an oil leak, it was a horsepower sweat...
SemiColon

Post by SemiColon »

VW fanboi's reviewing VW's ...thats not going to be biased at all. :lol:
八拾六
marzbars
VWCSA Member
Registered for: 16 years 1 month
Car Model: 1988 Corrado 16V
Membership No: 1316

Post by marzbars »

AlexTDi wrote:The car comes standard with a 3 year/120k km warranty and 3 year/45k km service plan
And with the VGV and mileage restrictions you should have problem free motoring with only fuel and tires to pay.
Can not wait to get settlement on my KIA so I can get one of these. Had my doubts on the 66kw, but if it is good enough for a racing driver it should be enough for me.
Unobeat
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 12 years 11 months
Car Make: Fiat, Toyota, Mazda
Car Model: Uno, Auris, CX-5

Post by Unobeat »

Awesome Write up Alex.
Lovely cars.
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.
panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.
AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

SemiColon wrote:VW fanboi's reviewing VW's ...thats not going to be biased at all. :lol:
Owns 320d because VW didn't quite cut it when I was looking.
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport

AlexTDi
Field Marshal

Post by AlexTDi »

Thanks guys, The finance model works really well making it worth it.
marzbars wrote:
AlexTDi wrote:The car comes standard with a 3 year/120k km warranty and 3 year/45k km service plan
And with the VGV and mileage restrictions you should have problem free motoring with only fuel and tires to pay.
Can not wait to get settlement on my KIA so I can get one of these. Had my doubts on the 66kw, but if it is good enough for a racing driver it should be enough for me.
Maybe not even tires if you swop it after 60 000km's it all depends on what sort of mileage you do highway/suburbs, My Ex-Polo's tyres lasted over 80k km's
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724

EX:
Daily:
'15 6C Polo GTI DSG
'06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport

SemiColon

Post by SemiColon »

AlexTDi wrote:
SemiColon wrote:VW fanboi's reviewing VW's ...thats not going to be biased at all. :lol:
Owns 320d because VW didn't quite cut it when I was looking.
八拾六
rhythm07
Lieutenant
Registered for: 16 years 2 months
Car Model: MK4 GTI
Membership No: missing

Post by rhythm07 »

I have one since June. It's a great drive. Extras, are pdc and media composition. The little motor can really hold its own. No need to drop out of 5th when pulling up a hill on the freeway. I have done almost 14000kms in this short period due to work and it's been great. I get over 800kms on a bad week and just over 900kms on a good week. This is combined driving, more urban.

As far as the deal, I did a normal deal. These offers are based on the interest rate you are approve for and I also believe the mileage is limited to 20k kms p.a. as it's financed over 3years. However, dealerships have different deals.
"Though all the animals are equal, the GTI is more equal than others"

Current:
2003 Golf4 GTI 1.8T GT3071r - 203wkw, 309nm @ 0.75bar
2010 BMW S1000RR
2016 Isuzu X-Rider
2011 VW Polo Vivo 1.4i

Ex:
2005 Honda CBR 600RR
2015 Polo 1.2TSI
2015 Polo GTI 1.8TSI DSG
2007 citiRhythm (R.I.P)