Extra money

This forum is designated for Non-Technical Posts only...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
LYFGP0
Major
Membership No: missing

Re: Extra money

Postby LYFGP0 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:11 am

Unobeat wrote:
LYFGP0 wrote:
zane.mk1 wrote:I used to do PC repairs & maintenance from time to time, but work was never consistent.

Doing the same. Also a re-seller :kewlpics:

How busy are you though?

Business is really slow now :cry:

But I am also in the process of registering a company etc and really getting things started in the new year.
96' Jetta 3 CSL
Ex:: '05 Velocity 1.6i SOLD
Ex: 1.9 TDI Suety PD - TUNING (SOLD)
Ex: 1.8i Playa LYF ___ GP (SOLD)
Ex: Mazda Midge 323 160i (Sold)
LYGP 1.8i
boost'd wrote:"big rims are like high heels, they not comfortable to wear but they do look good"

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Postby LoW n SloW » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 am

if its wedding related or automotive related, and you willing to be patient to make a name for yourself, it will make you money...
but like kyle said, look at something you're passionate about and work from there
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)

Q-BONE
Cadet
Car Make: VW, Toyota
Car Model: 1.8 Caddy; Yaris T3 Spirit

Postby Q-BONE » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:12 am

How about registering as a uber driver?

B_rad
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Audi
Car Model: A3 1.8TFSI
Membership No: 1835

Postby B_rad » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:04 am

Q-BONE wrote:How about registering as a uber driver?

I have thought about this... but I don't see it as something I would do. Cars get messed up quite easily by the passengers. You'd have to get a 2nd car to do it I would think, which means some extra money spent again.

LoW n SloW
Lieutenant

Postby LoW n SloW » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:43 am

Pays quite well i hear, i want my gf to do it next year
2001 'rolla 160 gle (ex)
2000 'rolla facelift RSi (ex. miss this) - exhaust and vernier
2005 old schooled caddy (ex)
2001 'rolla RXi airbag spec (ex) - exhaust, vernier, cai
1995 vw golf 1 ((ex)
2006 seat ibiza FR 1.9 TDI (current) - cupra FMIC, straight pipe, RK mild nandos chicken sauce 132wkw, 426nm
2012 Audi A1 1.6 TDI (stock as they come)

Meanie69
Enlisted
Car Make: VW
Car Model: 83 Golf MK1 GTI 1.8i K-Jet
Location: Akasia, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa, Africa, Earth 1

Postby Meanie69 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Unobeat wrote:
LYFGP0 wrote:
zane.mk1 wrote:I used to do PC repairs & maintenance from time to time, but work was never consistent.

How busy are you though?

The problem with PC repairs and maintenance is that the work is never consistent due to people not being so stupid, actually helping themselves or using Google.... But if you find the right job you can easily make a couple thousand....
[*]Divided we stand, together we fall.[*]

Meanie69
Enlisted
Car Model: 83 Golf MK1 GTI 1.8i K-Jet
Location: Akasia, Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa, Africa, Earth 1

Postby Meanie69 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:50 pm

LYFGP0 wrote:
Unobeat wrote:
LYFGP0 wrote:

How busy are you though?

Business is really slow now :cry:

But I am also in the process of registering a company etc and really getting things started in the new year.

The nice thing would've been to first start an online store, and do some clever marketing(perhaps Facebook etc.), and then you could build a customer base.. But these days there are dozens of online stores competing with each other, and the consumer only wants the lowest price and best service possible, which in turn would mean extra low margins and very low profits(this might be fine if you do it from home, as long as you have a dedicated courier service or if you yourself are the courier :grin: ...)
[*]Divided we stand, together we fall.[*]

babyvoora
VWCSA Member
Car Make: Volkswagen
Car Model: 2011 PGM Jetta 5 1.4 TSi

Postby babyvoora » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:21 am

I'm in the process of doing this. I need to submit my docs asap as I am one of the people at the top of the waiting list lol.

hoping to get on board this month still.
2011 PGM Jetta 5 1.4 TSi
BC Coilovers |

Ex's: 1999 Golf 4 1.6 GTi spec (Isabella) / 2000 Polo Playa (Gabriella) / Mk1 2.0L 8v (Susannah) / Mk1 1600 8v (stock)

Unobeat
Brigadier
Car Make: Fiat
Car Model: Uno

Postby Unobeat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:24 pm

babyvoora wrote:

I'm in the process of doing this. I need to submit my docs asap as I am one of the people at the top of the waiting list lol.

How hectic and involved is the process though bro?
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.

panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.

SpikePCR
Cadet

Postby SpikePCR » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:38 pm

I write android and ios apps. Good profits but hard work :(

Unobeat
Brigadier

Postby Unobeat » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:12 pm

SpikePCR wrote:I write android and ios apps. Good profits but hard work :(

Sounds involved.
Tell me more..
THANAS wrote:Mix them together to create Shellstrol, and then mix that with Winstrol to create the ultimate, maximum performance oil for your engine.

panic-mechanic wrote:When I build engines and do stuff like this I do it when there is nobody else around, No distractions, No phone nothing so that you don't forget what you should be doing. It's the little things that make them run right. Anybody can slap a basic bottom end together. that is the easy bit. It's all the little things that makes these builds a success or not.

SpikePCR
Cadet

Postby SpikePCR » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Unobeat wrote:
SpikePCR wrote:I write android and ios apps. Good profits but hard work :(

Sounds involved.
Tell me more..

Been doing a lot of GPS apps lately that run in the background of your mobile and track GPS locations of sales staff, couriers vehicles, children, old people etc. I go in to see clients and offer a solution to theie needs which is more IT Technology Related.

ChefDJ
Lieutenant
Car Make: Benz
Car Model: C270 CDI

Postby ChefDJ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:44 pm

LoW n SloW wrote:Pays quite well i hear, i want my gf to do it next year

Fake Taxi?

babyvoora
VWCSA Member

Postby babyvoora » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Unobeat wrote:
babyvoora wrote:

its not hectic at all.

I applied to be a driver online using my own car (they have a list of cars per category). I was then put on a waiting list but in the meantime I have been trying to sort out all the docs.

you need to upload you vehicles reg papers, your insurance schedule showing you have business use cover with passenger liability, you need to do a DEKRA inspection and you have to obviously have a PDP.

the website is super informative and this time of the year is extremely busy - especially in CPT

check out the site - its extremely helpful

https://partners.uber.com/drive/
2011 PGM Jetta 5 1.4 TSi
BC Coilovers |

Ex's: 1999 Golf 4 1.6 GTi spec (Isabella) / 2000 Polo Playa (Gabriella) / Mk1 2.0L 8v (Susannah) / Mk1 1600 8v (stock)

Q-BONE
Cadet
Car Make: VW, Toyota
Car Model: 1.8 Caddy; Yaris T3 Spirit

Postby Q-BONE » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:45 pm

babyvoora wrote:
Unobeat wrote:
babyvoora wrote:

its not hectic at all.

I applied to be a driver online using my own car (they have a list of cars per category). I was then put on a waiting list but in the meantime I have been trying to sort out all the docs.

you need to upload you vehicles reg papers, your insurance schedule showing you have business use cover with passenger liability, you need to do a DEKRA inspection and you have to obviously have a PDP.

the website is super informative and this time of the year is extremely busy - especially in CPT

Eish...if only i had a sedan... :sad:

Morné Pieters
Cadet
Car Make: VW & Mercedes-Benz
Car Model: 07 1.9TDi & 09 C350 CDi

Postby Morné Pieters » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:18 pm

MoeHS1 wrote:
Morné Pieters wrote:Learn to TIG weld properly. It is a really nice hobby and you can make money on the side like building manifolds from stainless or carbon steel and make aluminium radiators, oil cans, oil coolers, tappet covers etc. You can start your own thing if you can build customs.bike frames, manifolds, exhaust systems etc. If you are into detail work and almost and artist, lots of patience, TIG wil suit you well :hi:

:hijack: just a quick question Morne, do you have to be a professionally trained/certified welder to work on motorbike frames, car chassis and things like that?

Hello Bud

You would be amazed at how many people really are "certified" to perform certain welding and fabricating jobs yet they do them none the less and there are no failures... :fear: :crazy: Especially here in SA...

To answer your question, yes and no... the correct way is normally to certify a welder on specific jobs but if you have looked at TV shows like Overhauling (Chip Foose), Paul jnr Designs, Brian Fuller and so on, you see those guys build their own creations and yet I am sure they are not "certified" in the sense that you would know. In the USA, welding training philosophy is much better compared to here and also the quality of training and educators in welding. Most guys take a few classes and get certifications that only mean you are capable in certain welding processes and can perform them in certain positions on certain materials of certain thicknesses. For example, guys would be certified on a 6" schedule 40 pipe yet they might be welding thin wall tubing. The big pipe in essence certifies them to weld the small diameter and wall thickness tubing. Some guys that grow up in a fabrication environment, learn to weld from a young age but maybe might never go through certification if they have their own companies. They could be capable to weld a 100% X-ray quality weld much the same way as someone that is certified.

Hope I answered your question :hi: :hi: :hi:
2007 White Polo 9N3 1.9 TDi (PD100) - Daily Ride (Odo 240 000 km)
PD160 Intake lEGR Blank/Disable lBMS Oil Catch Can lPD130 Turbo lDe-Cat lStraight Flow FMIC (450x230x65 mm) & 50 mm S/S Boost Pipes lWulfchip Software lBEW TDI Engine Cover lFK Projector Headlights & 6000K HID lLED Retrofit lCustom LED Footwell Lighting lCustom Leather Interior lGTI Black Interior lCustom Speedo Cluster lCruse Control Retrofit

MoeHS1
Cadet
Car Model: Polo 1.9TDi 9N3

Postby MoeHS1 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:11 am

Morné Pieters wrote:
MoeHS1 wrote:
Morné Pieters wrote:Learn to TIG weld properly. It is a really nice hobby and you can make money on the side like building manifolds from stainless or carbon steel and make aluminium radiators, oil cans, oil coolers, tappet covers etc. You can start your own thing if you can build customs.bike frames, manifolds, exhaust systems etc. If you are into detail work and almost and artist, lots of patience, TIG wil suit you well :hi:

:hijack: just a quick question Morne, do you have to be a professionally trained/certified welder to work on motorbike frames, car chassis and things like that?

Hello Bud

You would be amazed at how many people really are "certified" to perform certain welding and fabricating jobs yet they do them none the less and there are no failures... :fear: :crazy: Especially here in SA...

To answer your question, yes and no... the correct way is normally to certify a welder on specific jobs but if you have looked at TV shows like Overhauling (Chip Foose), Paul jnr Designs, Brian Fuller and so on, you see those guys build their own creations and yet I am sure they are not "certified" in the sense that you would know. In the USA, welding training philosophy is much better compared to here and also the quality of training and educators in welding. Most guys take a few classes and get certifications that only mean you are capable in certain welding processes and can perform them in certain positions on certain materials of certain thicknesses. For example, guys would be certified on a 6" schedule 40 pipe yet they might be welding thin wall tubing. The big pipe in essence certifies them to weld the small diameter and wall thickness tubing. Some guys that grow up in a fabrication environment, learn to weld from a young age but maybe might never go through certification if they have their own companies. They could be capable to weld a 100% X-ray quality weld much the same way as someone that is certified.

Hope I answered your question :hi: :hi: :hi:

Thanks Morne :hug:
Mohamed Ebrahim

Current:
2006 Polo 1.9TDI Sportline
SR Tuned software. Intake. Straight pipe exhaust. FMIC.

Ex:
1991 Toyota Hilux D/C

Unobeat
Brigadier

Postby Unobeat » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:24 am

babyvoora wrote:
Unobeat wrote:
babyvoora wrote:

its not hectic at all.

Thanks for the detailed info bro.

iLy
Cadet

Postby iLy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:27 am

Quickest tip to have extra money.

DON'T get a project car, especially a VW. :grin:

Amazing how all the little bits add up, money that could be better used elsewhere.
Keep calm and drive low
Current: 1991 Golf Mk2 CLi
Instagram @247ily

babyvoora
VWCSA Member

Postby babyvoora » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:30 am

Unobeat wrote:
babyvoora wrote:
its not hectic at all.

my pleasure bud. Good luck if you do decide to pursue it.

from what I've heard it can be very lucrative.

I will try an update once I have been successful
2011 PGM Jetta 5 1.4 TSi
BC Coilovers |

Stu
Lieutenant-Colonel

Postby Stu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:46 am

babyvoora wrote:
Unobeat wrote:
babyvoora wrote:
its not hectic at all.

this will be perfect for high-jackers... imo its just asking for trouble
Polo 20VBigT - The Redhead
Kia Sportage - The Silver Surfer
C63 507 Edition - The Dragon
Rustler Bakkie - Good Old Jimmy

babyvoora
VWCSA Member

Postby babyvoora » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:52 am

Stu wrote:
babyvoora wrote:

I have thought about that actually - but I haven't heard of any Uber drivers being hijacked yet.

I think its because you have to download the app to call an Uber - so there already all ones info can be tracked.
2011 PGM Jetta 5 1.4 TSi
BC Coilovers |

AlexTDi
Field Marshal
Car Model: '15 Polo GTI
Membership No: 1724

Postby AlexTDi » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:21 am

babyvoora wrote:
Stu wrote:
babyvoora wrote:

I have thought about that actually - but I haven't heard of any Uber drivers being hijacked yet.

I think its because you have to download the app to call an Uber - so there already all ones info can be tracked.

and pay with a cheque/credit card before they even fetch you. I used it last week after my YEF

Cost R420 to drive around 50km's, The driver said he is studying in varsity and that's what he does for cash.
Alex
VWCSA Member No. 1724
AT Photography

Daily: '15 6C Polo GTI DSG
Race Car: Polo Vivo GT
Tow car: '06 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE

EX:
Daily: '06 1.9 TDI Sportline
'06 BMW 320D M-Sport
Weekend Toy: '84 Golf MK 1 GT
Race Car: Golf MK1 2 Door

https://www.facebook.com/AMRacing89