What happened to the M&Gs?

Information and discussion relating to VWCSA Events in and around KZN...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
1point9
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: Suzuki
Car Model: 2010 Swift Sport
Membership No: 1128

What happened to the M&Gs?

Post by 1point9 »

So what happened to them ... they just faded away? Since Bunker doesn't have the M&Gs at VMacs any more I've been having withdrawal symptoms! C'mon guys, what about a monthly or bi-weekly M&G at Petroport. Anyone? :driving:
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/ ... 2130.shtml
Balls
Major
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Membership No: 1708

Re: What happened to the M&Gs?

Post by Balls »

Turned into Monday nights at BP Westville after 8, occasionally we have outings to other places too. Last week we did a dyno night at Autotrix and next week its Go Karting. :hi:
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Sea Blue Polo Vivo
Membership No: 1676

Post by lawrence »

^^^ but these are not VW Club Meet and Greets... and I think he is wanting a regular VW Club meet and greet.

The trick is hosting them often enough to keep people interested, but not too often that people become bored with it.

We are aiming at 1 club event a month, more or less, and I therefore think that anything more than 1 meet and greet a month will be overkill, especially given that a lot of the VW club guys from KZN land up at BP on a Monday night for coffee.

Another point to consider is where to host the meet and greet.

Standing around at Petroport is not the most entertaining way to spend a night, and always going to 1 spot also becomes an issue for people travelling.

I think we should find a few locations... 1 north, 1 south, 1 central, 1 inland a bit, and alternate between them each month

Discuss....
ScottiesKJ
Major
Registered for: 12 years 5 months
Car Model: 92 Citi Golf
Membership No: 1144

Post by ScottiesKJ »

Ok Vmacs is cool i rate we go there once in awhile. - inland

Lawrence loves Phat boys and its South

Beach Bums is a frikken winner that's north

Robs shop is Central - If we all pitch in for braai packs and Push Pop brings the trike we sorted.

What about to Meets a Month 1 first week of the Month 2nd last week of the month??

Current 2L 8V Citi Golf - Under Construction
1point9
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: Suzuki
Car Model: 2010 Swift Sport
Membership No: 1128

Post by 1point9 »

I was thinking more like at least one set M&G a month and then an event if there is something on. There isn't always an event so we could hold a M&G on the 1st week of the month. This might also give the 'committee' a chance to get together before the M&G and chat about club stuff before the guys arrive. When I was in the USA they did exactly what Lawrence is suggesting but hosted one M&G each week at each side of the city, ie: Westside, Beaches, etc. That gives you the chance to go to the one that suits you. (I went to them all). Just an idea to get this club back up and running as it seems like the old Durban Apathy is setting in again!
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/ ... 2130.shtml
Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

Oh ok, well just saying what there is currently going on in terms of M&Gs which is what your topic was about.

Everyone apart from one Volvo is a VAG anyway?
low82
Enlisted
Registered for: 14 years
Car Make: vw
Car Model: golf L
Membership No: 1689

Post by low82 »

1point9 i understand where you are coming from,that is why wickedvelo and myself arrange meets in pmb.
I am going to be a bit blunt now with my feeling towards things so i will appologise in advance,there seems to be a clicky thing going on you have to know or have done something to realy be accepted and "allowed" to join the monday meets (they are also not vwclub meets),i know the kzn committee members attend the monday nights and lots of others,is it not because of this this (once a week monday meet) that there is no interest and time from this group to really have a vwclub meet,rant over.
Those that mind dont matter,those that matter dont mind
Be true to thy self
boost'd
Criminal Troll.
Registered for: 13 years 4 months
Membership No: missing

Post by boost'd »

Ya we have a click, a big one, you have to sleep with rob or give balls a bj to get in.
Our Monday greets are more than just standing around like 90% or the other meets I have gone to.
EIGHTYSIXAUTOMOTIVE/ACD PERFORMANCE/RK MOTION
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

Just for the record, there are only 3 committee member in KZN.... rob_dbn, ScottiesKJ, and myself.

In respect of the comments about Monday nights.... I for one have never been there, so I can't comment on anything about it... But as low82 says, it is not a VW Club 'event'....

From what I do know it is a bunch of petrol heads drinking coffee... Or is that a bunch of caffeine heads drinking petrol. :lol:

The reality is, you guys can't bleat about it being clicky unless you have made the effort to get to know the guys. Wether you have of haven't is not really the point...and even if it is clicky, you can't honestly expect to fit in to every group you encounter in life can you?

The issue at hand is that some of you are wanting a regular meet and greet, hence my suggestion to set something up once a month, on rotational basis to try and cater for everyone and keeps things fresh....

ScottiesKJ recommend 4 spots.... So be constructive and add value to the thread so that we can actually give those of you wanting something, what you want...
:hug:
ScottiesKJ
Major

Post by ScottiesKJ »

I havent attended a monday meet.

low82
Enlisted

Post by low82 »

Sorry if i got i got some detaits wrong,i do not see all the guys often enough to know all and i assumed a lot buy whay i have read.All i want is to have a regular meet to get to know the people.
OK my suggestion a first thursday of every month meet at a fixed venue,if someone cant get to check the forum and wants to attend,atleast they know where we are and also there wont be fights over where we will meet next,also having a meet once a week in a different area every week will just lead to segrigation,cant we follow the lines of BO jhb.
For me the firken at pav seems like a central point,guys close enough there can drive there buy themselves,guys a bit further can car pool.
I like the idea of a pub, a couple beers/brandys and a time to get to know the people.
Be true to thy self
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

:hurray:
ScottiesKJ
Major

Post by ScottiesKJ »

1st thursday works for me

Balls
Major

Post by Balls »

All I merely said was there is a meet on Mondays, either at BP or other spots where we get together and do car related activities.

As for it not being a VW club event, neither was the Thursday night meet at Vmacs, infact there are more VAGs and VW members at the Monday night meet than there ever were on the Thursday.

I dont know where you got the clicky fitting in impression, as it certainly isnt that at all. By repeatedly mentioning the Monday meet I have taken that as an open invite to every.

Hell, random guys coming to fill up petrol and buy milk and bread at the shop come and chat and some have even become regulars. Pull in with some sort of VW/Audi/Seat/Lambo etc and you will be called over and introduced. It is a very friendly vibe, much much much more so than guys standing around at Petroport trying to make small talk. Some guys only knew 1 person there and now they are mates with everyone.

In no way in any of these posts on this thread have I been subversive or unconstructive, the sole purpose of my replies was to inform those interested in M&Gs that there is a regular Durban thing going on.
low82
Enlisted

Post by low82 »

Thank you for the response balls,you have cleard all the miss conseptions,i appreciate it,it would be nice to attend a monday night meet,buy saying it was a clicky thing was probebaly a miss use of the word,i have no problem at all with groupes having there own meets,as stated earlier would just like a vwclub thing to as it will make the club stronger and people can get to know each other.

the dates for the first thereday are
2 August
6 September
4 October
1 November
6 december

now we just nead to decide a venue ?
Be true to thy self
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

low82 wrote:Thank you for the response balls,you have cleard all the miss conseptions,i appreciate it,it would be nice to attend a monday night meet,buy saying it was a clicky thing was probebaly a miss use of the word,i have no problem at all with groupes having there own meets,as stated earlier would just like a vwclub thing to as it will make the club stronger and people can get to know each other.

the dates for the first thereday are
2 August
6 September
4 October
1 November
6 december

now we just nead to decide a venue ?
Well like I said I think we should rotate between the various places to make it fair for everyone....

The options so far are:

Inland - Vmacs
South - Phat boys (but will this work for an evening M&G?)
North - Beach Bums
Central - Volksie

If anyone else has any suggestions please table them...
rob_dbn
Captain
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by rob_dbn »

think ...north beachbums is a bit far ...and will end up with a split crowd half inside and half outside ....maybe hooters or something in UR ....maybe a local like Boost'd can suggest ....?

happy with the rest
lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

rob_dbn wrote:think ...north beachbums is a bit far ...and will end up with a split crowd half inside and half outside ....maybe hooters or something in UR ....maybe a local like Boost'd can suggest ....?

happy with the rest
Good point
boost'd
Criminal Troll.

Post by boost'd »

hooters is awesome, plenty parking right outside the top deck.

I vote for something North soon cause every meet is, south or inland.
There is quiet a crew out north
ScottiesKJ
Major

Post by ScottiesKJ »

Phat boys will be to far for a Thursday meet. TO South

lawrence
Lord of the Sponge

Post by lawrence »

So Hooters on 2nd August?

anyone got any objections?

Scotties - then where do we go south? Somewhere in Toti maybe?
rob_dbn
Captain
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by rob_dbn »

will make a poster now ....
boost'd
Criminal Troll.

Post by boost'd »

lawrence wrote:So Hooters on 2nd August?
Keen.
hooters have some sort of special on thursdays too
boost'd
Criminal Troll.

Post by boost'd »

rob_dbn wrote:will make a poster now ....
bet i know what pic you gonna use
ScottiesKJ
Major

Post by ScottiesKJ »

How far is Far for you guys tho? I mean i drive 60 odd km's to an event so for me its normal. If we say Toti we it might be to far? And as Rob says it might split the crowd.

So some suggestions from the people would help. To me Toti is close but to Lawrence it might be miles away.