Free stuff plus my 2 cents

Information and discussion relating to VWCSA Events in and around KZN...
Forum rules
Please take a look at the rules for posting on the VWCSA Forum as all posts will be moderated accordingly...

VWCSA Forum Posting Rules and Guidelines
1point9
Cadet
Registered for: 17 years 8 months
Car Make: Suzuki
Car Model: 2010 Swift Sport
Membership No: 1128

Free stuff plus my 2 cents

Post by 1point9 »

Free stuff:
1 VW Club t-shirt blue large (out of black)
1 VW Club keyring
1 VW Club lanyard

And here is my 2 cents:
This has been a long time coming so here goes ... after 3 years of membership, only 3 events and a few dismal meetings at the Total garage in Gateway I feel I must part ways with the VW Club. In fact, DubRun '10 and the recent Autostyle event just emphasised my disapointment with the club. After several hours at the VMacs/VW show hosted by Rob and Bunker Racing, I was surprised to see only a couple of the GP cars made it. On Sunday at the Autostyle show, I quickly found the REVO tent and cars on display, along with only 4 or 5 VW Club cars and NO representation (even the ZoopedUp guys had more than 8 cars)! In fact, as I walked around the area at least 5 guys asked me where the VW Club display was, including a young couple from GP wearing the Dub Run '10 t-shirts! I was told the local GTi guys hosted a braai for the GP guys and no-one attended, so clearly there was a complete lack of communication between the VW Club and our KZN chapter. Needless to say, it was a real let-down, and only confirmed my decision.

I believe there are still some KZN guys trying to keep things going, so I wish you all the best. I'm just kidding about the free stuff although I have no use for it. :cry:
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
http://www.vwvortex.com/artman/publish/ ... 2130.shtml
rob_dbn
Captain
Registered for: 18 years 10 months
Membership No: missing

Re: Free stuff plus my 2 cents

Post by rob_dbn »

Good points there Mike .....

Hopefully someone steps up to the VW Club KZN plate and turns this ship around !!
Dzzzt
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Make: VW
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

Post by Dzzzt »

Lol so is the stuff free or not :crazy:
1point9
Cadet

Post by 1point9 »

@ Rob, thanks man,.hope to see you tonight at VMacs!

@ Dzzzt, if you want it, it's available. PM me so I can get the stuff to you.
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
Dzzzt
Cadet
Registered for: 13 years 8 months
Car Model: Polo 1.6 TDI

Post by Dzzzt »

Yay! I have been hunting for a shirt haha :)

sweet thanks so much dude! YGPM
Quik-Trix
Lieutenant
Registered for: 15 years 8 months
Car Model: '84 Mk1 2.0 20v ITB's
Membership No: 3004

Post by Quik-Trix »

Excellent points , those are the few reasons why I'm still hesitant in joining the club. Its an awesome club to be apart off but in these times where you compare value for money I don't think its really worth it.

There's always events happening in the gauteng area, but here in kzn none besides the odd meet and greet, sure I haven't been to any of your'lls M&G, but I read the posts here to see what's happening around with the club guys here. I know the dbn guys put effort into trying to organise few events for the locals but I can see why they throwing in the towel.

There was a guy that should go as "bos" he was in charge of the dbn area, I read some time ago that he was nomore able to carry out his duties and wanted someone else to take over, he didn't give a reason and personally I don't know him, but did he leave because of similar reason as 1point9 is leaving? I'm assuming, correct me please If I'm wrong.

I know my comment is a lightweight considering I'm not a member but I merely pointed out my opinion and observations on the topic at hand.
1point9
Cadet

Post by 1point9 »

@ Quik-Trix, since I posted this on the forum, there has been a surge of interest in reviving the KZN section. Having seen the guys at the last 2 M&Gs with about 20 cars at the Petroport meet, I said to the guys I will do whatever I can to help build the club, but due to the fact that I am ultimately going back to the US of A, I can't say how long I will be involved. We seem to have a group of about 6 or 7 guys to take the reigns, so you must pull in to the next meeting and check it out.

It's always difficult building membership, as every guy wants something different from the club. Some wanna go racing, others enjoy the social aspect, and others just want a sticker for their cabs and then you never see them again! Obviously the club is totally dependent on the members support, so it is really up to the guys to pull in and make it work. The committee can arrange events every month, but if only 5 guys attend, it ends up a non-event and the guys lose interest, so lets see what we can do this time around!

:driving:
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
rob_dbn
Captain

Post by rob_dbn »

i just want a sticker ....
1point9
Cadet

Post by 1point9 »

:bang: KJ!
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
rob_dbn
Captain

Post by rob_dbn »

Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaa
k3sh
Enlisted
Registered for: 13 years 7 months
Car Make: Vdub
Car Model: Polo_Classic

Post by k3sh »

Hi, why not start a group on facebook just for VW in Durban or something, probably that might create more awareness . Also in this way the admin can send out messages/notifications, as well as gain a rough estimate of those that might be attending and those that would not beable to make it.
Just a suggestion...
1997 V_dub Polo Classic 1.4i
1point9
Cadet

Post by 1point9 »

@ k3sh, right now we are just trying to build the club with little steps, and at at my work there is a Facebook ban in place! I do the e-mails and SMSs so to do Facebook would be a problem as I even have to sneak internet time to get on the forum. If you have the time to start something like a VW Club KZN group, go for it. I'm sure lotsa guys would welcome it as there was another post about Facebook on our section. :type:
2005 VW Citigolf 1.4i
2010 Suzuki Swift Sport
2005 Peugeot 206 GTi
2010 VW Golf Mk1
1996 VW Golf GTi
1989 VW Golf GTi 2.0 8V
1996 VW Golf GS
2000 MK1 Golf 1.9i
mfhamid
Cadet
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by mfhamid »

very valid points 1point9.
I've been a on this forum for sometime now.

Never been to any of the events.
Just got my car resently.
So its still a work in progress.
But im sure to be joining the club soon.
N been there for a few m&g.

Need to stop by at rob's shop for my ignition.
N a few bits n bobs.

Oh i want stickers too :grin:
Ex Cars
jetta mk2 cli 16v (sold)
Golf mk2 wolfsburg (stolen)
Kibim
Lieutenant-General
Registered for: 15 years 2 months
Car Make: Mercedes
Car Model: AMG
Membership No: 1368

Post by Kibim »

As the new Events CoOrdinator, I feel this needs a reply.

I definately understand your position. But just a little from our side too :

We struggle to get numbers for GP events, barely covering track or location costs most of the time. Logistics to add to get to Durban or CPT is almost impossible. In Nov, I made a concerted effort to attend a CPT event, and distribute membership packs. We had 8 new member signups in the week or so before I flew. And only 4 people even came to collect thier packs.

The game does need to be stepped up, agreed, and hopefully we'll see some changes next year, with event participation and event diversity.

The game too needs to be stepped up regionally. Each year, we ask the members to vote for a comm member they'd like to see active. We don't get any votes other than GP based people. So if there's no comm member in your area, isn't that your fault?

Dubrun'10, the cars parked up were 2 comm cars, 1 ex comm car, and 2 forum advertisers. No-one else was on time or even volunteered to park up. I don't drive a VW currently, so parking up one of the Mercs would have been a little odd!?

As GP residents, (and I speak for the Comm here) we don't know where to host events in KZN, how to go about it, nothing. We really need someone local to do that kinda stuff. A Member, voted for by members. No-one even proposes stuff, so please don't 'complain' too much about the club as a whole.
.....Past Volvo S70R (GT3582R modded), Volvo XC70, Volvo 850 T5, VW Jetta VR6 (Rebored), VW Jetta CLX, VW Golf II GTS
Present Mercedes ML500, Mercedes SLK32 AMG
.Project '74 W114 Benz